Pb carp

shadow

Twist it around anyway you want :lol:

Carp are a plenty in Niagara waters.

They are an invasive and very destructive fish.

Google that and see how many states are taken actions against these fish.

Wasn;t there a carp barrier put up at

"cootes paridise", must be a reason.

I have the utmost respect for these young guys and their contributions

to this board :worthy:

:blink:

:blink: Well said Dan. I'll just add that they are here to stay. I don't see any cheap shots here boys :lol: , just facts and opinions. Lets not get our knickers in a twist.

oh and that video was disgusting. I sometimes wonder if they are a fish at all. They can live in raw sewage or stay on land for a long time without dieing. They'll likely be the last fish on earth if it ever comes down to it. Yes they are fun to catch and I appreciate the fishing reports but IMHO they are the cockroaches of the fish world. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's just the way I see it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:worthy: Well said Dan. I'll just add that they are here to stay. I don't see any cheap shots here boys :dunno: , just facts and opinions. Lets not get our knickers in a twist.

oh and that video was disgusting. I sometimes wonder if they are a fish at all. They can live in raw sewage or stay on land for a long time without dieing. They'll likely be the last fish on earth if it ever comes down to it. Yes they are fun to catch and I appreciate the fishing reports but IMHO they are the cockroaches of the fish world. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's just the way I see it.

LOL cockroaches.... :lol:

I dont think so there buddy, i dont think you know (or maybe you do) that carp were installed into our waters on purpose, not by accident, they didnt escape from a fish farm etc. They were installed here.

SO what if they are a hearty fish, can tolerate all types of water. I hate when the bass anglers tell me this, i dont care one bit, it still doesnt refute the fact that the CARP is the MOST pursued SPORT fish in the entire world, people from all walks of life, from all continents enjoy the pleasures of pursuing carp. Man made lakes in england have been erected and stocked with carp, and some lakes cost 1000's of dollars to fish, for these lumps of gold! Fact is man, they were put here on purpose, and they have been here for over a 100 years, they aren't invasive anymore, they are naturalized. They are not even NEAR as destructive as the goby, that's the problem, not the carp.

Most people on here have the "trash fish" mentality when it comes to carp, and i doubt that will ever change. But that's your loss.

P.s. I don't see much skill in firing out a crank bait and retrieving it at maximum speed.

sorry guys. I really didn't mean to offend anyone at all. I was just stating my oppinion, but I also said that I enjoy catching anything. I caught a small (13 inch) smallie in PD marina last week and that was a significant achievement for me. LOL. like I said, I haven't fished for years, so that was kinda exciting for me. LOL. so exciting in fact, that I put it as my profile pic on facebook and called it, the "lesser known harbour shark". lmao. funny thing is, we were fishing close to shore and were catching pumpkinseeds and small panies, and I thought, I'll cast it a little further into the middle. within 5 seconds of hitting the water with my worm, I had that smallie on. all in all, not too bad a night really. now if I could just land a pike or muskie, just to say I caught one. close is as good as a mile. LOL. we're going to JC park today or lake Gibson. want to see if I can get myself a little carp action goin on. sweet corn, here I come. LOL.

They think that carp were first stocked in a pond in Newcastle in the 1800s but after a large flood the dam burst and all of the fish went down to lake ontario.

They think that carp were first stocked in a pond in Newcastle in the 1800s but after a large flood the dam burst and all of the fish went down to lake ontario.

LOL

But i am curious how this whole trash fish thing started? They've been here for over 100 years, so im wondering what caused them to get that connotation. My only guess is that they really arent a food fish, or they can be found in dirty water, where other species cannot be found.

I dont understand why people are so crazy about eating what they catch, i've never brought any species home for eating. I just like the sport.

LOL

But i am curious how this whole trash fish thing started? They've been here for over 100 years, so im wondering what caused them to get that connotation. My only guess is that they really arent a food fish, or they can be found in dirty water, where other species cannot be found.

I dont understand why people are so crazy about eating what they catch, i've never brought any species home for eating. I just like the sport.

my guess is, it's cause they are bottom feeders and eat all the "trash" that others don't eat. but then again, shouldn't we also consider catfish as "trash" fish then? hmmmmmmmmm. I'm guessing that people don't, so why do they consider carp to be that way? I am from England originally and it was a huge deal over there to go carp fishing.........and if ya wanna go a step further, some types of carp are the most expensive fish in the world to buy.........ie. Koi carp. just my two cents worth.

:lol: Wow'' What a discussion........I've just started to fish for carp this year, and it has been a blast....I'm sure that I will keep fishing for them, as they really are fun to catch.......Any way you look at it, they are probably in our waters, to stay......

LOL

First of all I have to say that upon observation, carp anglers are the most emotional of all anglers. Don't take it to heart guys, they're just fish.

Stop being so bloody sensative.whack.gifDefinately the opposite of salmon anglers.

Secondly I have to argue the destructive part. Carp destroy native habitat and muck up waters that might otherwise be clear which totally alters the ecosystem. That pretty much describes the meaning of invasive. Knightfisher gave a perfect example with the barrier.

Thirdly I would like a link to the info on how they got here because all the info I have read states they were brought here as food and escaped and further spread with the help of ignorant people. I have never seen info that they were an intentionally introduced species. Perhaps this would be a good topic for the MNR to cover at a seminar. You may be able to educate us if you can find it. All indications are that the spread of these fish isn't desired by wildlife management, biologist or CA's

4th and last on my list is your not understanding fishing for food. Just like the aboriginal indians, I realize that fish and wildlife are resources that help sustain life. We are no different than any animal in that we need natural resources to survive including food. The Animal rights agenda realizes this too. In fact they don't care if you starve, as long as you don't hurt a sentient being by pulling a hook through its flesh. In their eyes C&R is just inflicting unnecessary hurt and serves no purpose. One of our members here (Tommy) has given advice on several occasions that makes perfect sense. Be prepared to eat what you catch because you never know when you'll mortally wound a fish unintentionally. I've heard many stories of bleeding carp being released because their gills are connected by a thin membrane which is easy to tear while fighting or unhooking them. Releasing a fish to die and continuing on fishing anyway just doesn't sit right with me. I always fish for food. That,s how fishing got started. C&R has a short history but I would never question your right to practice it.

Once again, no offense to the carp anglers or reports etc etc etc. They are a fun fish to catch. They are more abundant than any other fish so naturally they are the most sought after. I enjoy the reports and who cares if some peole think they are a trash fish? Get your emotions in check and go fishing :lol:

To be honest ive caught carp in very clear water. I'm not too sure about all of this, so i wont comment too much on it.

But as far as me saying about carp being installed here, this is where i got my information.: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/northameri...arphistory.html

I don't agree with your fishing for food stance, there are ways to preserve a fish after catching them. Look at beson, he was caught 63 times over 10+ years, and survived. For example, use barbless hooks, unhooking mats, fine mesh land nets etc. There are ways. I dont mind if someone eats fish, i've eaten bass/pike/walleye before, i just dont have the desire to bring fish home. I just do it for sport.

Just thought Chili that i would mention that Carp are eadable and have very tasty meat!

Carp were food in Asia and transplanted into Europe to feed the farmers Then they came to north america (at first for the same reason)

The reason no one targets carp for food is because the water is so damned polluted,

Since carp feed off the bottom and they are omnivors carp collect more chemicals in their system then bass or pike would. (carnivors)

In Europe they still eat carp snd in some countrys they only eat carp of special occasions!(because they are a very special fish)

Heres some pictures of carp in food form

From China

xinsrc_271101161600583216258.jpg

Crucian_Carp_Soup_with_Radish.jpg

BigHead_Carp_Thick_Soup_zoom.jpg

2044949-Squirrel-Shaped-Carp-1.jpg

But as far as me saying about carp being installed here, this is where i got my information.: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/northameri...arphistory.html

That was a very interesting read, thank you. Is this author somewhat local?

Dan

The carp barrier was installed so that the RBG could get their hands on government money. They nearly went under until they came up with the blame the carp nonsense. I read the studies done by Mac. on the Cootes Paradise marsh. They stated that carp were only responsible for 30% of the problem. The other 70% was us. Including the RBG which used the marsh as a convenient dump for many years. They tracked the degrading of the marsh through historical records and photograghs. The marsh was 80% intact until the early 50's. Which coincided with a great deal of developement around it. Carp are naturalised and are part of the ecosystem. In areas where you have a healthy population of preditors carp populations are kept in check.

Carp do not eat everything . They pick up lots of stuff to find out if it's food. Lots of fish do this. Carp are omnivores and eat a mixed diet. As the water gets colder they eat less and eat more and more protein. In winter they eat nothing but protien. Carp have an aray of chemo receptors , electric field detectors and pressure sensors to help them find their food. They can also hear sound.

I understand Chillis concern over them overpopulating and causing harm to the ecosystem. This can happen with lots of animals. Like deer for instance.

Part of the reason I promote carp fishing is to take the pressure off the most targeted species. Carp angling is for the most part urban fishing and the more people fish for carp the more bass and pike you guys will have to catch. I have given small carp away for people to eat. I am against killing trophy sized carp. :D .

Carp angling here has a strong social element to it. You can fish alone or with as many buddies as will fit on the bank. It also has revived angling tourism in areas where it was failing. Like on the St. Lawrence and the Kawarthas. The european anglers that come here to fish for carp are amongst the worlds most dedicated, skilled and ethical.

I know a guy that moved here from England last year. He is a dedicated carp angler. He lives at the bottom end of Lake Simcoe. This past spring he witnessed what goes on there and was shocked almost to the point of tears by the lack of care given by the average guy with a fishing rod for the enviroment and the fish they were trying to catch.

I know this. Carp are a fun and challenging fish to catch and when combined with some good buddies on the bank, you can have a great time. :P

Archived