First Day Carping

jordanl

Today was a load of success.

after reading "niagarangler"s post about the basics i decided it was about time for me to try carping myself. the thing that always stopped me was that i dont like to sit and wait, i like to be tossing lures or panfishing with a float and worm, i dont like to stop moving. but today i sucked it up and played the waiting game.

i was very happy that i went today, i headed out with my 8 foot eagle claw rod i picked up in the states, and tossed on 15lb test line. i put a half ounce egg sinker on it and tied it to a swivel, then i tied another peice of mono to a hook and tied the loose end to the swivel next i took a small peice of whole wheat bread and surrounded the hook in it, squeeze it together, and you have carp bait.

0999D131-077A-46BF-ABC9-CE81B881B1A2-17663-0000205713E5AC70_zpsffc4cad5.jpg

(this image belongs to "niagarangler" and will be removed if requested)

this is the set up i used, it was very effective and is a great way to start out,

this was my frist catch, it wasnt what i was expecting, but i was more then happy with a result, this was approx 15 mins after i started fishing

557259_10152121771045468_1523266456_n_zps6dd03002.jpg

nice little catfish, put up a pretty good fight despite being small.

next one was a real blast to catch, the picture will speak for itself

393580_10152121707660468_1825183783_n_zpsc7a26790.jpg

this guy put up an amazing fight, we fought back and forth for about 10 mins, finally he exhausted himself and i was able to net it, this was my first carp ever landed, and it felt amazing, my arms were shaking, i almost wanted to pack up and leave since nothing was beating that. this was about an hour after i started fishing.

the next fish was a strange one, it took the hook and ran just like a carp, and fought like one for a good few seconds, then it stopped, and started fighting like a goby.. anyways, here was my next catch. it is also a first for myself, but i have no idea what kind of catfish it was, anyone able to tell me?

579665_10152121769460468_273748001_n_zps7706354d.jpg

yes, i am aware that this is not how one should handle a fish, i just did not want this thing to get me with its stinger, anyways though, what kind of catfish is this?:S

anyways, i think i saved the best for last, and theres abit of a story with this one.

so im just sitting at a bench that i pulled close to my rods and i see a lady and her son bring a canoe over where i am, i guess i was in the area that they launch from, so i move some of my stuff over and kindly request that they launch from the side i was not fishing, they say no problem and continue launching, just as im about to offer to help them get in and launch i hear my line being ripped off my rod, i run to it and set the hook, carp on!,|

one problem though... i pulled back to hard with my drag to loose so i get a small birds nest... just what i need, so i make the quick decision to try and pull this line in by hand.. legit, im there pulling the line with my hands, i take on lasst glance at my reel and notice that the line is really just looped around my handle and the but of the reel so i quickly un-tangle it and get back to fighting the fish.

we take turns, he runs, i pull him back in, he runs i pull him back in, this went on for a good 10 mins, he even put himself on shore briefly, i went to net him and he swiftly gets in the water and now starts shooting for the canoers, i yank back on the rod and stop him dead in his tracks, he takes one jump, and then hes finished.. hes tired out, here is his mug shot.

598836_10152121773400468_1804840516_n_zpsc5a09607.jpg

it was a great day to say the least, the sun came out and the breeze was manageable, alot of nice people stopped by and created small talk. after today i hooked on carp fishing without a doubt.

also, i am very aware that i now need to upgrade my net, and i will be next time i get paid:P

if your interested in getting into carp fishing i strongly reccomend looking into this post -> http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26485 its a great guide on getting into carp and this is how i myself started

Wicked stuff man...those are a couple nice fattys!

I think those carp are smarter than we give them credit for....they always seem to know when you're not paying full attention, and then hit at that precise moment. Hard to beat the adrenaline rush eh??

Nice fish the carp there have plenty of room to run on you! I was also down there yesterday from 10-2 with my son but we were in the other pond not as mant carp over there but plenty of sun fish...

Nice catchin jordanl ......that's a good carp and channel cat spot . I was thinking of trying the lake side soon for carp , near the big rocks where it's a little deeper .

Nice catchin jordanl ......that's a good carp and channel cat spot . I was thinking of trying the lake side soon for carp , near the big rocks where it's a little deeper .

I saw a few guys fishing for salmon there but had no luck! I was also talking to a guy one night he was fishing the lake from the beach by the garbage can for carp said he normally got 3 or 4 a night depending on wind and waves.

the rocks i mean are further down the beach towards vineland. I haven't seen anyone fish at the rocks you mentioned

Be weary as there are some signs indicating private property and I saw some guy yelling once at a bunch of kids there ...

The rocks I was referring to are at the bend in the road going into the 16 mile pond , where the road was washed out . You can park very close by just across the roadway there. The big cement break wall at the far west end is very shallow .

Archived