Charles Daley

Jason15

Any one else notice the big trench being dug at the far end of the beach side pond it looks like it is going to connect to the lake? Last Saturday when I was down there it was half done just wondering if it is finished and if anyone knew who was digging it.

Hmm I remember when I was a kid the water was always running there. They should make it permanent rather than digging out every year. It would also keep the water up in the ponds

permanent would be near impossible ... the way the ice comes in on lake ontario any small engineering project would be destroyed. If you venture there when the ice starts to melt off (end of March) until there is ice ... you will notice that the two ponds are constantly fluctuating as to where they enter the lake, sometimes two or three areas where the water runs out ... the water would always be running if we did not have such dry summers recently, usually there is a little trickle flowing

Because the shoreline is entirely sand, nature closes it up, and sometimes opens it up on it's own. By trenching at the far side of the pond, they create the outflow Rather than wait for nature to create it's own outflow. When left to itself, the natural outflow has often cut off access to a large portion of beach by opening up on the east sid of the pond.

Hmm I remember when I was a kid the water was always running there. They should make it permanent rather than digging out every year. It would also keep the water up in the ponds

The water would probably drain out faster lowering the the pond level if they had a permanent trench. Too low and it could have an adverse effect on the eco-system. Better to let nature take its course and just give it a hand everynow and then. A dam (natural or man made) will keep water in.

Its cool to watch the spring run off or after a heavy rain, the water goes out and creates a cool "rapids" effect. Its surprising to see how fast the water shoots out of the pond.

Oh yeah...the low water levels probably don't help. I don't ever remember Lake Erie so low. There is almost 50 feet of new shoreline in Point Abino bay.

How are the levels in Lake Ontario?

If we had some serious rains the water level in the pond would rise enough to put the pond level higher than the lake , and it will soon make a natural opening ,allowing the water levels to even out . ( the law of the jungle) B)

Oh yeah...the low water levels probably don't help. I don't ever remember Lake Erie so low. There is almost 50 feet of new shoreline in Point Abino bay.

How are the levels in Lake Ontario?

well we have had a few consecutive days of north or northeast winds. because lake erie is like a saucer the water just gets pushed to the far side of the lake

Archived