Who's Ready For The Perch!

Centre_Pin_Assasin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never fished this end of Lake for perch . I know Maitland never got the bite on till first week of June.. How far out from shore and where do you launch around crystal beach. Wonder if it would be better in the upper Niagara seeing as I only have a 14 ft tinny

Never fished this end of Lake for perch . I know Maitland never got the bite on till first week of June.. How far out from shore and where do you launch around crystal beach. Wonder if it would be better in the upper Niagara seeing as I only have a 14 ft tinny

usually 2 miles out.With the early season fog i would not chance it with a 14 ft.Everyone should be cautious of how fast erie can turn dangerous.I am sure someone will say they do it all the time but i would not suggest learning in a small boat.

usually 2 miles out.With the early season fog i would not chance it with a 14 ft.Everyone should be cautious of how fast erie can turn dangerous.I am sure someone will say they do it all the time but i would not suggest learning in a small boat.

I agree, its very scary getting cought iut there in the fog. But there are a few apps that work amazing for finding yourself and navigating the lake.

I agree, its very scary getting cought iut there in the fog. But there are a few apps that work amazing for finding yourself and navigating the lake.

isnt the best app a good compass. they dont need batteries and all you have to do is head north until you see the shore. always good to have one on hand in case something funky happens to your electronics

Always carry a good compass. I was caught off Maitland once. GPS died and my phone at same time. Now I carry a charger in my box. Don't forget mag compass has a variation 5 -10 degrees and needs calibration depending on where it is located in boat. I always check mine in the sailboat as a 5 degree variance can place you a few miles out from where you think your going. Found this out from flight navigation. Before GPS where in aircraft I use same logic in my sailboat.

Gps compass smap. I went up to six mile lake and if anyone knows this lake it has many islands and water ways and canals that all look the same. I launched out of six mile lake camp ground. Went fishing and got lost, it was also getting dark and i didnt know the lake at all. I used this app that i downloaded on the boat at that spot and not only did it help me get back but it maped all islands and other camp sites and marinas around the area as well as my camp ground. And as my boat moved the symbol on the phone moved and was so accurate showing me how far i am from shore and other islands. Its a great app and i recomend it. True a compass is a important tool to have but technology is just as good just always keep a battery charger on board.

It's not necessarily finding yourself that's the problem. In early spring there are a lot of logs floating around in that area. Hitting one of them will ruin your day pretty quick. If you're gonna take your 14 footer out wait until some of the fog has burnt off.

Once navigation isn't an issue just look for the pack. You'll want to head south of the point and watch your sounder at around 50-60 fow. If you don't get anything in the pack don't be afraid to head deeper, some of the best days I had last year were away from the pack all by myself.

I got springs from the usa, shipped to a po box. 1/2 the price of pyetts or niagara spring. declared at the border with $30 dollar duty (truck springs) canada wanted 1200 i got them for 458, duty shipping incl.

Remember that 'Jumbos' come in 2 different sizes, male and female. Keeping all the perch with a big back hump and none with a long and sleek body type could be over-fishing a gender. I always try to bring home a good variety of sizes to ensure regen.

From the regs

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

Hooks and Lines
– An angler may use only one line, unless otherwise
stated in the regulations. Two lines may be used when angling from
a boat in parts of the Great Lakes (see exceptions to the general
regulations) and for ice fishing in many areas (see Ice Fishing, page
11). A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached.
Four hooks per line. But in Lake Erie you are allowed two lines when fishing from a boat. I don't thik I would ever try to fish two lines when perch fishing though unless ice fishing.

From the regs

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

Hooks and Lines
– An angler may use only one line, unless otherwise
stated in the regulations. Two lines may be used when angling from
a boat in parts of the Great Lakes (see exceptions to the general
regulations) and for ice fishing in many areas (see Ice Fishing, page
11). A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached.
Four hooks per line. But in Lake Erie you are allowed two lines when fishing from a boat. I don't thik I would ever try to fish two lines when perch fishing though unless ice fishing.

i could see if im feeling really greedy and was trying to limit out on a good bite that i would drop a line with a splitter and do the 4 hooks per line, but it doesnt seem pretty practical:P, il stick to my 2 hooks on one line on a pickerel rig

Remember that 'Jumbos' come in 2 different sizes, male and female. Keeping all the perch with a big back hump and none with a long and sleek body type could be over-fishing a gender. I always try to bring home a good variety of sizes to ensure regen.

the only problem with selective fishing on erie is that after pulling up a perch from 60' of water its airbag is sticking out its mouth and the eyeballs look like something from a carnival freakshow. also im pretty sure that the commercial fisherman dont throw back the big females and the amount of fish caught by rec fishers is a drop in the bucket to what they catch

i could see if im feeling really greedy and was trying to limit out on a good bite that i would drop a line with a splitter and do the 4 hooks per line, but it doesnt seem pretty practical:P, il stick to my 2 hooks on one line on a pickerel rig

If you can't limit out with 2 hooks when the bite is on you are doing something wrong.

If you can't limit out with 2 hooks when the bite is on you are doing something wrong.

Ya i know,but what??LOL.Somtimes i wonder.

Archived