Fish Coating

marktheperchman

had a perch fry last night and i used zatarains fish coating. it is corn flour based with all the spices mixed in. i usually fry them in butter with a flour and crushed corn flake mix but this was so much easier and everyone loved it. it is available at sams club in the states and cheaper than fish crisp i think. just wondered if anyone else has tried it

I make my own mix using corn flour, meal and spices. You can pretty much coat your fillets with any type of crumb, corn flakes, bran flakes, shreddies, graham cracker, ritz, etc........ Whatever tastes good to you.

Quaker fish batter, mixed with lemon zest!!!!! only thing I will ever use (for batter anyway).

Lemon Zest eh?

Just grated lemon rhine and parsley?

Use it in my Osso Bucco. Never thought of using it in fish batter. Hmmmm.

Nice tip Mick. I'll try it.

I have a few boxes of fish crisp , sitting on a shelf for over 2 yrs.......maybe use it for a catfish or carp bait . I don't like to use a coating that masks the flavour of the fish like the fish crisp does . I am now using Panko which has a neutral taste . I fry the fillets 1/4" of canola & add a tbs.of butter to help brown the fish . And we also bake some fish in the oven or bbq just for a change . ( gotta try new stuff sometimes) :read:

Flour, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs all I use for most fish I pan fry, usually use an oil with a high smoke point usually canola or vegetable with some butter as well.

When we do a big fish fry up north the easiest and most crowd pleasing thing to do is open up some of Chronzy's mix. I just find it gives a nice taste & since I already do most of the cooking it's quicker & easier to prepare for the fryer. At home I tend to experiment more as I have more time & I'm working with smaller portions. I really like results when the fish are soaked in milk with a quick egg bath before coating.

Tight lines!

Pre-soak your fish in milk or egg, and then I usually prefer to just coat my filets in a 50/50 dry mix of pancake mix and white flour combined and I add some lemon pepper seasoning , deep fry them in sunflour oil . Its a crispy and light coating not like some coatings that absorb alotta grease

Something different. I talked to a guy at a club meeting and he gave me a recipe, replacing burg with Perch or Walleye fillets making Shepherds Pie and mixes different veges of your choice into the mashed potatoes then tops the potatoes with cheese. He said he partially fry's the fillets first with no coating just salt & pepper, that gets rid of some of the moisture. Got to try that someday.

Archived