Lincoln Wind Turbines

toaster

yeesh

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4964881-province-gives-greenlight-to-wind-farm/

WEST LINCOLN The largest turbines in North America will soon rise over West Lincoln.

Related Stories

Health Canada study finds wind...

On Thursday, the provincial government announced it had approved Niagara Region Wind Corporation's renewable energy application to operate a 77-wind turbine project in the West Lincoln area. The announcement was made the same day that Health Canada released results of its study into the impacts on human health from industrial wind turbines which concluded with the findings of Ontario's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Arlene King, in 2010.

Health Canada's assurances however do little to calm the fears of those living in the project's vicinity.

"The real problem is the health issues for the people in the footprint of the project," said Catherine Mitchell, who herself lived in the project area before moving to Welland. She is a board member with Mothers Against Wind Turbines which will hold an emergency meeting as it now has 14 days to launch an appeal.

"It's been approved by the Ministry of Environment but not by the people impacted by this decision," Mitchell added, noting there were 2,572 comments on the application listing concerns ranging from property values and health impacts to rising energy costs and environmental impacts. "The concerns go on and on for pages."

Mitchell, who is most concerned with low frequency sound and has been studying it, said she was shocked and awed by the government's approval.

West Lincoln Mayor Doug Joyner said he was also surprised to see the approval come this soon.

"We expected this to come through but we didn't expect it until after Christmas," said Joyner. "It's a little sooner than expected."

The ministry's approval doesn't come without stipulations however, and Joyner said the township would do what it can to ensure NRWC adheres to the rules and regulations.

As a result of comments received by the municipality and local residents a condition of the approval requires Niagara Region Wind Corporation to:

not construct or operate more than seventy-seven out of the eighty wind turbine generators identified in the approval

comply with the ministrys noise emission limits at all times

carry out an acoustic emission audit of the sound levels produced by the operation of the equipment at five receptors

carry out an acoustic emission audit of the acoustic emissions produced by the operation of two of the wind turbine generators

manage stormwater, and control sediment and erosion during and post construction

develop and implement a pre- and post-construction ground water monitoring program

carry out specific items if foundation dewatering or water takings by tanker exceed 50,000 L/day

apply the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Operational Statement, if during construction, waterbodies that were previously not identified are discovered

design, construct and operate a spill containment facility for each of the Transformer Substations

implement the pre and post construction Natural Heritage monitoring program, which includes bird and bat monitoring

undertake the supplementary monitoring program discussed with Environment Canada and determine next steps as part of the program including the implementation of mitigation measures in response to any potential unanticipated adverse effects

ensure that activities requiring authorizations under the Endangered Species Act are not commenced until authorizations are in place

create a Community Liaison Committee with members of the public and applicant

undertake ongoing Aboriginal consultation and fulfill all commitments made by it

prepare a Traffic Management Plan to be provided to the upper and lower tier municipalities, and

notify the ministry of complaints received alleging adverse effect caused by the construction, installation, operation, use or retirement of the facility.

A representative of NRWC was not immediately available for comment. Check back for updates.

Those things are an eye sore.

An ugly eyesore ! I wouldn't want them in my back yard . It's so easy for others to say "live with it" because they know there will be no giant wind mills in their yard . There is concern that many birds will be killed ( hawks, owls , eagles , ducks, etc. etc. etc. but it seems most people do not care about that nor does the government. When the wind doesn't blow ....zero power ....& if it blows too hard like right now ...no power as they shut them down to avoid damage . When our electric bills double ...cut something else out of the household budget ......( not fishing time ....but eat more fish)

I would guess the property owners get paid. I read something a while back about how the cost to recoup the initial investment vs what they produce takes years.

Our Liberal government is in so deep on their renewable energy plan, that they won't back out now. It doesn't matter how big our deficit gets or who will be able to afford their electricity bill. They should have stuck with coal and converted the plants to clean coal. Too late now but they have a majority now so there is nothing to stop them.

I would guess the property owners get paid. I read something a while back about how the cost to recoup the initial investment vs what they produce takes years.

Lots of money to be made. Such that for a farmer who manages to get a couple on his land can now look at farming as a hobby...

I am not opposed to the windmills themselves. The technology has advanced quite a bit over the last number of years, leading to the slower rotating, longer three bladed units being installed now. I've been in close proximity to these windmills and do not think that the noise argument that is raised holds any water anymore. They provide manufacturing, construction, and maintenance jobs.

What I am opposed to is the government handling of the whole green energy sector. If a technology such as windmills or solar panels need massive subsidies to be economically viable then they should not be installed. Why not use that money to overhaul coal plants into high-efficiency natural gas plants, which can be self-supporting and will have a useful lifetime far exceeding windmills or solar panels? No, our government has decided to support non-economically sustainable energy and mothball existing infrastructure.

Our Liberal government is in so deep on their renewable energy plan, that they won't back out now. It doesn't matter how big our deficit gets or who will be able to afford their electricity bill. They should have stuck with coal and converted the plants to clean coal. Too late now but they have a majority now so there is nothing to stop them.

Hey it's all Wynne Wynne now. We are screwed making too much power for our needs and selling it to the states. Meanwhile our power rates go up with poorer service, and more outages.

IT boggles my mind how Failtario ushered her in again for another epic FAIL! The US stayed with clean coal, they are doing just fine. We shut down Nanticoke without even a sniff of trying to retrofit it with clean coal tech which would have kept away the wind turbines and solar panels. Although really the panels are not that bad. The wind mills are neat the first time but for sure I don't want them in my back yard!

LT

Retrofitting the coal plants would probably work fine , but it's all a political $$$ game they play . When the GM Glendale plant retrofitted the world renowned foundry - melt furnaces which was said to have put 11 tons a day of heavy particles into the atmosphere and reduced it to clean steam ,it was soon after shut down and sold to China (which uses coal to run them ) . As expected , workers lost a lot of respect for their employer and our government . As I said , it's all political B.S . and corruptness .

• 2 months later...

They will have a huge impact on the resale value of homes near them or even if there are proposals for future ones in an area. Don't forget easements for power lines etc as well. I do some waterfowl hunting every year around Chatham and friends up that way swear that the wind turbines have affected the waterfowl flight patterns negatively as well. They make absolutely no sense from an environmental, social, or economic standpoint.

Its all the old people saying its an eye soar well so is the pollution caused by all the dirty fuel we use to make energy yes maybe this isn't the total solution but is a good way of producing clean power. Whatever people complain no matter what you could give them a hundred dollar bill and they'll complain they'd rather have 20s.. not o mention the amount of jobs its creating im the new plant and service people etc. the people whole complain give me an ear soar.

Its all the old people saying its an eye soar well so is the pollution caused by all the dirty fuel we use to make energy yes maybe this isn't the total solution but is a good way of producing clean power. Whatever people complain no matter what you could give them a hundred dollar bill and they'll complain they'd rather have 20s.. not o mention the amount of jobs its creating im the new plant and service people etc. the people whole complain give me an ear soar.

While I agree with you on the job creation, I'm calling you on the rest.

Windmills are not a viable source of power at this time. They only produce power when the wind blows, we don't have systems set up to store excess energy when it can be made and release it when the windmills don't operate. I'd like my power to rely something other than the weather conditions. Plus they are not economically viable.

Dirty power? Coal or gas powered plants with updated technology and proper scrubbers can produce clean energy. Smog? I live close to Naticoke - never seen smog out here. Lots in the city though, where there are a lot of cars in a small footprint... talk to Mexico City about that. Mining/Drilling? How do you think the rare earth metals and minerals used in windmills and solar panels are collected? By mining in third world countries that have very limited pollution and environmental control. We just don't have to deal with it in our country.

You have to look at the big picture. Total life cycle, from commissioning to demolition. What's the real environmental impact?

Yea i guess u pose a good argument either way we need to figure out some clean power, that's all im saying i guess nothing is perfect... but those ideas need to be had in order to move forward with that idea or make it better or maybe scrap it and try again. Who knows maybe someone will stem an idea from a wind turbine that's better.

All the windmills are is a feel good measure brought in by the liberals to appease their urban base. Not sure about you but I don't know too many people who are working in the industry and once they are assembled the majority of those jobs will disappear and at what cost? Thousands of jobs in manufacturing are being lost due to companies relocating out of province and one of the straws that is breaking the camels back is the obscene hydro rates. If you want to see 100 turn into 20 hand it to a liberal to invest. By the way your ears will literally ring if your unfortunate enough to have one installed next to your house. If the proposal was put these throughout Toronto it would never happen. By the way there are lots of young people that don't like them either.

25 year life span I was told and theN they are the farmers job to remove. California amd Amsterdam tried them now they have more non commissioned then running now. I think they look cool but the object was to produce power and they produce little in comparison. Unfortunately the money they give the farmers for use of the land is making it so appealing as farming is getting tougher amd tougher amd more costly.

Archived