Anyone Ever Deep Fry A Turkey?

Finsanity

I have a corn roast pot and a burner. Looking to deep fry a turkey. I no it has to be completely thawed and that. Just wondering size time and heat as well as any rubs or such I should put on if any.

Guest terry1368

i did 1 a few years ago . it was a 15lb and took about a half hour in a turkey fryer .i put some spices under the breast skin with some chopped up bacon .heated the oil up to 350degees and lowerd it in .you have to lower real slow .once in dont remove the lid to look for at least 20min because the temp. of oil will drop. and use a good meat thermonitor.

Make sure you measure the oil level before dumping the bird in, I put the bird in with water till it has a inch or two or it then pull the bird out and mark the pot so you know how much oil to put in, I bring the heat up to 375 and lower the bird in slow real slow, takes about 3-4 min a pound, I like injecting them with butter and franks but there are all kinds of ways to do them.

Make sure you measure the oil level before dumping the bird in, I put the bird in with water till it has a inch or two or it then pull the bird out and mark the pot so you know how much oil to put in, I bring the heat up to 375 and lower the bird in slow real slow, takes about 3-4 min a pound, I like injecting them with butter and franks but there are all kinds of ways to do them.

Excellent advice

The number one reason people run into problems is the pot overflowing when the bird is put in and the oil splashing on the flame

Good luck and posts some picures of your results if you get a chance.

Cam

• 1 month later...

We did one, was best bird the wife has ever had. I just injected the bird with garlic butter. As mentioned before, oil level is critical. I put the frozen bird in the pot and filled it with water until covered. Remove bird and whatever water is there is the correct amount of oil. One other trick is to turn off burner when you put the bird in. 3.5 - 4 minutes a pound.

post-9-0-15092900-1424192871_thumb.jpg

Archived