Spring Carping

Spennyfish

Hey guys, 

I go to school at Brock university and live up here during the school season (September-June). I love fishing for carp at home in small ponds this time of year, a great way to get out and have some action in the early days of spring. I was wondering if there are any good spots close to Brock that anyone can lead me to. I have been doing lots of exploring in and around the Gibson lake, Beaverdam ponds area. It looks like it should be able to sustain Carp, but I've yet too see much surface activity. If anyone can help to guide me in the right direction for some good spring carp spots it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Lots of Carp in those areas.  I am sure some of the guys on here can point you in the right direction for those bodies of water. Also a good bass, and pike population in those bodies of water

I think Gibson carp will be on soon ....water is deeper with current in most spots I fish . The Beaverdams area where the water is shallow should be good for carp now . I did my first and earliest carp fishing today , just using can corn . The cats were raiding my line ....plenty of those whiskered critters today .  My 1st carp of the year came after about 2 hrs . ....a real whopper , caught on my 11.5' rod & 8# mono ...didn't weigh it but guessed it to be about 25 to 30 ounces .......a real scrapper !

jpm6uAf1lgeYlS1A7bwNFw3Zx9nQRZpMwbxqsVMT

another 2 hrs of fishing , and 2 more carp ....a little larger.....

1gViP7AW5p6SGFTVjEoptTye8j8GH2EosaIL_mfs

xvH8CQri6rgYsXmbuIkIkssJoeM7_hHkbJlgIx00

...estimated weight at 16 -17 lbs

Hi Spennyfish, carp can be caught from most of the shorelines around Gibson. Get yourself a can or two of corn, donate one of them to the fish gods, and throw it out to the spot you chose to fish and then it's a waiting game. A few carps have been caught this spring and it will pick up as the temps move up. Also keep an eye out for where others are fishing.

Just a little warning....if that Smerchly guy is fishing near you, you may as well pull your line in. That guy attracts carp like a magnet, and the rest of us get skunked.

Ha ha ,  it's the corn Dan ...... my pee in the corn seems to be working fine ....  The secret is out ....but I'm not telling what kind of beer I drink !  

Spennyfish .....do like I did yesterday ....drove around to some carp spots until I found a few carpers were catching them .  You strike up a conversation (about carping) and most guys & gals will be happy to oblige . You will learn tons of info ,like how to bait up and handle those beasts with TLC for someone else to catch !  Next nice day I'll give Gib a go .     ....carp beware......

6 hours ago, Spennyfish said:

Awesome thanks so much smerchly. The advice is greatly appreciated, Also, Solid catch, goo job!! 

Spennyfish

Yes , lots of goo & slime from the fish   lol .    I tried using fresh dew worms under a float on another rod for 30 minutes , but no bites .....strange that the cats would take a single piece of corn .

Just a heads up .......out of the blue , a MNR officer was standing behind us .....checked for licenses & I.D. .....The young fellow forgot to renew his ( had the outdoor card) . The ticket was $155 . ....WOW !...  so it cost him $175 to fish this year . (conserv. license)  Make sure you have your license !

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 7:39 PM, Spennyfish said:

Hey guys, 

I go to school at Brock university and live up here during the school season (September-June). I love fishing for carp at home in small ponds this time of year, a great way to get out and have some action in the early days of spring. I was wondering if there are any good spots close to Brock that anyone can lead me to. I have been doing lots of exploring in and around the Gibson lake, Beaverdam ponds area. It looks like it should be able to sustain Carp, but I've yet too see much surface activity. If anyone can help to guide me in the right direction for some good spring carp spots it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Marlatts ponds is full of Carp..I've had a carp pick up a senko when fishing for bass there...not sure how it is in spring but in the summer they are often basking at the shorelines and spook easy when walking to them..they're in there in decent numbers

I pretty sure the MNR caught the grass carp there , on the east side of Marlatts Rd.  Some caught were in the 30 lb. range .....need to get me one of those this year !   Gibby/Moodie are full of carp  .....the odd mirror as well .....:Gonefishing:

Archived