Port Dalhousie Piers

Snags

Doubtful that anyone reads this or cares ...

But down there this morning and there was a sign on the "fencing" that has indicated there is a website for feedback.

https://portpiers.com/

It is run by the city of St Catharines.

There is some of the photos of the "side scans" done on the piers to show the deterioration that has occurred.  Some interesting information definitely available on the site.

Me thinks they over estimated the costs to fix to deter spending the money & will eventually break them up into a rock berm . On the lake side of both piers the water is shallow with a sand bottom . the harbour is approx.15' deep average which would allow the piers to sink on that side . If they fix the harbour side only , the costs would be much less . I'm no engineer , but some , like scientists can be "persuaded" to doctor up their estimates .

....and yep , I'm a "man made" global warming denier ....maybe a little anti - estab. as well ....:crazy:

3 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

How much of a safety risk is there for foot traffic, really? 

All you need is someone to fell because things are uneven and "not safe".  At the same time, if some of the areas are as unstable as some of the side scans show ... a heavy storm could easily shift things enough that a little weight on a spot and things could tip.  Chances of it happening?  Nil to rare.  If it did happen?  Lawyers would be very quick to get rich.

Plenty of areas are fenced off because of the threat of being sued should someone fail to be responsible for their actions.

Article by Doug Herod today .....not putting a lot of hope the piers will be walked on again .

I was there today checking out the place , started raining so went to get a coffee at Timmies ....GONE !  No more coffee's at Port Dal-loosie .

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/11/01/herod-st-catharines-starts-voyage-into-choppy-waters

Sad situation that. 

If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton's new waterfront has been paid for by all three levels of government.  It's become a focal point for citizens.  Walkers, wheelers, rollerbladers, dogwalkers, joggers, bikers, etc.  I can't imagine our city without it now.

As for the Dalhousie pier, it would be a sad little harbour without it, and not just for fisherman.

The piers and lighthouses have been good for attracting people such as you mentioned Mike . With the construction planned for the condo's etc. I believe they want to make Port another N.O.T.L. which caters to the "well to do" .....The piers would still be a great place to walk ,..... and fish .

The biggest problem will be traffic ....only one way in or out .  I can see a new road bridge going across the harbour to Lighthouse Rd. or one across the bay to J.C. Park to Ontario St.  for the increase in condo dwellers .

On 27/10/2017 at 0:48 PM, smerchly said:

Me thinks they over estimated the costs to fix to deter spending the money & will eventually break them up into a rock berm . On the lake side of both piers the water is shallow with a sand bottom . the harbour is approx.15' deep average which would allow the piers to sink on that side . If they fix the harbour side only , the costs would be much less . I'm no engineer , but some , like scientists can be "persuaded" to doctor up their estimates .

....and yep , I'm a "man made" global warming denier ....maybe a little anti - estab. as well ....:crazy:

I think you and I just might get along!lol

21 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Sad situation that. 

If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton's new waterfront has been paid for by all three levels of government.  It's become a focal point for citizens.  Walkers, wheelers, rollerbladers, dogwalkers, joggers, bikers, etc.  I can't imagine our city without it now.

As for the Dalhousie pier, it would be a sad little harbour without it, and not just for fisherman.

That, the Beacon marina, Port marina, waterfront trail, etc, etc, were all part of a major waterfront construction and restoration program in the mid 90's along the L Ontario shoreline.  I worked one subcontract on the trail in Mississauga, and another doing spawning bed and structure enhancements in Hammy hrbr.

Over time, just about every waterfront structure needs a major overhaul and rebuild. Pt Maitland pier got such a rebuild about 20 years back.

• 1 month later...

WELL ...low & behold .....While visiting (snooping) at Port Dal. today ,  I spotted a new sign at the old Timmies  , & it read " Homestead ...opening soon "  Yahoo ! And they have bigger and better doughnuts and coffee !!  They have just recently opened a new Homestead on Hartzel Rd. ........

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/7470976-doughnuts-and-coffee-reunited-at-homestead-donuts-bakery/

They have been around a long time but shut down their shops here & just supplied businesses like hotels with doughnuts ...good to see them back ....and I'll give them all my business . The closest Timmies at Port is on Lakeshore Rd., but they are a drive through....not my cup of coffee ....I'm not that old YET !

Wasn't fishing ....just doing a snoop.....got this shot of the inner lighthouse as the sun was in the perfect spot !  

osahFTsibzNcItoEbLFZ9nPSyrHHhGwHThsuPbz6

We had some goodies from the Hartzel Rd store last week.  Yes they make the frozen and re-heated turds from Tim Hortons look like goose droppings.  If this is the case I will have to do some ice fishing in the North Port and grab some goodies on the way out. MINT.

10 minutes ago, Lundtastic said:

We had some goodies from the Hartzel Rd store last week.  Yes they make the frozen and re-heated turds from Tim Hortons look like goose droppings.  If this is the case I will have to do some ice fishing in the North Port and grab some goodies on the way out. MINT.

Are the goodies you are speaking come from the new Homestead on Hartzel ( corner at Battersea) , or the Timmies  south of there ? I will have to visit the Homestead there and check out their menu .....and coffee ..... Better to make a report on experience rather than a newspaper add ..... B)

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Are the goodies you are speaking come from the new Homestead on Hartzel ( corner at Battersea) , or the Timmies  south of there ? I will have to visit the Homestead there and check out their menu .....and coffee ..... Better to make a report on experience rather than a newspaper add ..... B)

Yes the new Homestead on Hartzel.  I had a cherry crunch.......just as good as the the shop in the falls(Victoria Ave soup place).  Maybe better.

20 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

If I read understood you correctly, Smerch, the Timmies at the Port has closed???  What's up with that?  Timmies never close!  ( Or did I misunderstand ).   

Timmies closed up very abruptly at Port Dalhousie Mike  , they were always busy with plenty of seats plus an outside patio .....but no drive through !  I was hoping another coffee shop would take it over but didn't expect it to happen so soon .

Google Maps has already removed timmies location at Port , & I see homestead doughnuts is on the map at Hartzel Rd.

NOW HEAR THIS .....friends , relatives and family ......NO TIM GIFT CARDS anymore ......but I'll take the cash .....................:)

Homestead's donuts are much better (and bigger) but I was not a fan of their coffee when I grabbed one.

That Port Tims was a weak location when you consider a lack of drive through, a lack of parking, a lack of seating inside, and the very limited hours (usually closed by 9PM).  Combine that with rent (I would assume Port D is higher than most of Southern Ontario).

Coffee has to be fresh or it gets bitter quickly . I imagine a lot of coffee is dumped down the drain at coffee shops .There seemed to be ample parking there for the no of seats & many customers were locals who walked there . I would park down the lane way most times. Bottom line is profits were too small .

About drive throughs.....We have cars that can shut off the engine at stop lights automatically  ....to save gas & stop polluting the world , but we allow vehicles of all sizes to burn gas for 10 -15 minutes to buy a coffee . ....just one of many reasons I pay no attention to the Al gores & Suzuki's pushing their $$$$$$$$$ fake agendas.

It was nice going inside Timmies at Port after getting cold bones while ice fishing , grabbing a hot bowl of chili & coffee ......(double chocolate doughnut) on the side ......:wub:   I hope to do the same this year at the new coffee shop there .

• 2 months later...

I heard about it on the radio today , but can't find anything in the newspapers yet . They have big plans to rebuild the old Lincoln Fabrics building ( 9 stories) for condos & business , tear down & rebuild the Legion (condos) and looking to replace the Pier 61 restaurant with... another condo ?  Then there's the other BIG condo-business tower going in near the carousel . Also more money coming for the harbour front for boat users . So we need the piers open again for all the new people living in those condos to enjoy . Good business sense . Nice to see it happen !  Now,  let's manage the lake levels better ,  if they can .....

Thanks NRF !

Archived