Mexican Standoff

Beautiful opening day morning. Got going a bit late but in my spot and set up by 5:30am.  Lots of gobbling around 6:30 in the adjacent bush talked back and forth but seemed to move off slowly in the wrong direction. Just after 7  two hens walked out into the field a couple hundred hards away and milled about, slowly making their way away from me down the bush line and then turned and came back. Two more hens came out to join them, followed by a big Tom that stood at the brush line for about 10 minutes. I was finally able to get his attention and he spent about 20 minutest working his way towards my set up. At the same time three deer were making their way straight down the field towards me. They seemed very intrigued by the decoys, calls and the big tom. The Tom got within 60 yards and the deer 75, the Tom and the deer had a bit of a standoff with the Tom finally deciding to head back to the woods. Damn! Not what I expected but at least they all put on a bit of a show!

14543493-9746-4B71-8216-660CB9AEE797_1_105_c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

How close do you need a bird to shoot it?

I'd say about 30yds  The are a big bird but since you are aiming for their head/neck it's actually a pretty small target.

And it is dependent on the size of shell you're using, how tight your choke is and how well your gun patterns. I agree with Surf and Turf, I'm comfortable out to 30 yards. I'm sure that I could stretch it out to 50 yards or maybe even further but I like a clean, ethical kill.

17 hours ago, Markster said:

A Small target and a tight choke doesnt give you much room for error i found out first hand.😀

I've seen it happen first hand. I called in a big Tom for my Buddy and he waited too long before he shot. At 5 yards his pattern went right over the birds head.............................Daniel

26 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Wish I would have had my shotgun with me on the way home. Just casually walking down the street without a care in the world. P.S I wouldn't have actually shot from my truck,  just being funny. 

Screenshot_20220426-153509_Gallery.jpg

That's quite a beard. You should have opened the back door and tried to call him in.