Interesting Cat Quote from UK Paper

genec

“The head of Countryside Alliance says the number of animals being hunted is tiny in comparison to those being killed by domestic cats“

Domestic cats kill up to 270 million wild animals a year in the UK, with those in countryside areas responsible for the majority, according to researchers from the University of Reading and Royal Holloway.

• genec changed the title to Interesting Cat Quote from UK Paper

I believe that. Where i hunt there are some feral cats and i have seen sign of dead rabbits and birds near where they den.

i suppose you have to consider if its more important to you to have less rodents or birds around your place.

Personally, i would get rid of them.

Growing up we had a cat that terrorized the local wildlife, used to bring home squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, etc. Only one time did it bring home a rat, which got a ride on the bus to school with me...(amazing how much fun you can have with a dead rat) lol.  Any cats out in the bush were viewed as vermin back then.

Just now, Surf and Turf said:

Any cats out in the bush were viewed as vermin back then.

That still exists today I believe except hunters keep a lid on it .

It's the general neighbourhoods where the cats kill wildlife that is the most concerning . Cats are easy to trap ...... sardines are cheap.... ;) 

3 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

That’s great everyone.  Read an article on the always reliable internet about how bad cats are for the environment… well that must be 100% true.  That stupid study is well know to be inaccurate and way over dramatized.  Way more birds die from way more causes than cats.

Leave animals alone!  You are NOT in control of nature.  The bird population will be just fine, as will the rabbits, and I dont see anyone defending the mice. 

If any of you shoot, trap, kill or relocate domestic cats then give your head a shake.  Because I guarantee you just made a child cry that their beloved pet has gone missing.  If any of you were my neighbour and did anything like that to my cat, you can’t imagine the problems you and I would have.  Not all cats are feral and even if they were they are still a part of nature.  

I thought we put this behind us.  This is a fishing forum. 

Hmmm, I don't believe anyone is advocating trapping or killing anyones pet cat. Domestic cats are not part of "nature" any more than a dog is.

There was a documentary done a few years ago where they put camera's on people's house cats. When they showed the owners the footage of "Fluffy" killing on a regular basis, the owners were horrified and vowed to keep theirs indoors, go forward.

Wild animals kill to survive, cats will kill for fun. 

If you have a cat and are interested in conservation, which is the topic of the this forum, then you might be interested in what they are up when they are out and about, that's all.

9 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

No one debates they kill.  They are predatory.  It’s what all feline species do.   
Maybe we should remove all apex predators so they don’t kill anything below them on the food chain?!?

They are all still part of nature, doing what they were put on the earth to do. Conservation has little to do with it.  Dont fool yourself into believing humans are in control.  

While he’s outside he could also be preyed upon by coyotes or foxes.  That’s the chance he takes when he goes into the forest.  

This is NOT JUST a fishing forum!!

The header for this is “Hunting and Conservation”, and that is what this is in reference to.

Cats are house pets, and should be kept inside because they are killers of birds and small mammals!

Saturday morning while I was loading my kayak on the Jeep at dawn a fox came trotting down the street with what looked like a cat in his mouth … Figured he saved a lot of neighbourhood wildlife with that prize!!

Another fun fact about cats is that their faces which they love to deposit in children's sand boxes carry a parasite that can cause serious health risks. If my dog defecated in the neighbours sandbox and gardens I don't think they would be impressed.

Domestic cats were bred by people to be companion animals and as such can easily be controlled by a leash or closed door. 

And when Fluffy does become a fox's dinner, then the owners are horrified and demand that the city does something about the foxes.

No animal has to be kept inside,  as long as they stay off my property. That's the issue people have with cats is they wonder onto people's property and doo-doo, dig up gardens etc... I would have the same issues if any animal wondered onto my property but it seems to just be cat owners that let them wonder where ever they want to. 

I like cats same as I like dogs. I have had 2 Staffs & a big Rotti which killed 2 cats on my property . I felt sorry for the cats , but I blamed the neighbour who let the cat roam the hood every night . I have seen a few cats hit by cars on our very busy street & a pup was killed recently  when it took off out the front door to the road . We have to leash our dogs when off our property for their own safety . 

Cats kill birds but no comparison to the thousands killed by windmills ( read on line ) lol...who knows ??

Our kids have cats including a couple of Sphynx cats ....friendly but usually loyal to one person . I have a family of skunks sitting 15 ft. from me right now under my small front door deck . They come out after dusk & I'm hoping the young are soon on their own and find a new place to dwell ...down at the end of lonely street at ......

Is it fair to the cats to be let loose among all the hazards that can take it's life ? If I had a cat(s) it would not be let loose to fend for itself ...they are a domesticated animal like our dogs and deserve better . The ferral cats...different story as they "are" on their own . Living in the country , different story....and I don't want my dog eating cat poo !

Lets keep with the times as we change the rules for our domestic animals to keep them safe ....and us too ! 

Please keep this thread on a friendly basis .... there are pros & cons to most things & it get more complicated daily !

Sorry Karen, but you’re quite simply wrong.

If your definition of a cat is that fluffy hair ball generating creature that occupies your home, thats one thing. Ive got one of those things as well.

Alternatively there is this non-native thing called a feral cat, one that simply lives around abandoned buildings or woods and doesn’t exist on free handouts served in a dish. They are there because some citidiot didnt want to pay to get rid of it properly after it clawed up their couch, but rather dropped it off on the side of the road in the country to fend for itself. Free fluffy feeling.

They freely multiply and survive on whatever they can kill. Hopefully mice/rats and not the native species like rabbits, turkeys, song birds, etc.

Get a dozen of those on a 50 acre parcel and you have a problem that someone else has to deal with.

stick to catch and release, and dont kill those invasive gobies.  it will make you feel better.

3 hours ago, Markster said:

Sorry Karen, but you’re quite simply wrong.

If your definition of a cat is that fluffy hair ball generating creature that occupies your home, thats one thing. Ive got one of those things as well.

Alternatively there is this non-native thing called a feral cat, one that simply lives around abandoned buildings or woods and doesn’t exist on free handouts served in a dish. They are there because some citidiot didnt want to pay to get rid of it properly after it clawed up their couch, but rather dropped it off on the side of the road in the country to fend for itself. Free fluffy feeling.

They freely multiply and survive on whatever they can kill. Hopefully mice/rats and not the native species like rabbits, turkeys, song birds, etc.

Get a dozen of those on a 50 acre parcel and you have a problem that someone else has to deal with.

stick to catch and release, and dont kill those invasive gobies.  it will make you feel better.

Exactly. Key word here is feral cats. But that's the problem with this topic the cat lovers just don't get it so it never goes anywhere lol