Deer season opening day

Markster

I'm not a big fan of hunting until it gets nice and cold. We had a couple times when we shot deer early and it was 20 plus degrees with flies all over the meat. November December is my time once fishing slows down and it's nice and cool enough to hang the meat etc...Good luck! 

Im not a warm weather deer hunter either.

I have a 55 minute drive home from the family farm near Cayuga, and don’t want a deer sitting in the back of my jeep that long in warm temps.

I plan on hunting turkey for most of October, then start deer hunting late in October when the weather cools down enough for the drive home.

I hear ya guys about shooting a deer when its warm out.
Its hard to find a butcher around here with a cold storage as well. It Used to be easy back in the day.

However, i feel a certain “obligation” to go out seeing its opening day and all. :=) 

last year i passed on quite a few deer early on and finally took one during the rut when it was colder.

Truth be told, i just like having the excuse to be out there and see what shows up. A Thermocell is a game changer in the early season btw.

captain h: i always put my name in for the controlled draw and usually get picked (first season) but i rarely end up going out. I really enjoy the bow hunt.

genec: if i recall you missed some of the spring turkey season so I’m sure you want to fill a tag. I’ve never tried fall season - are tactics any different than spring season?

bubba: i used to go to a deer camp around wilberforce for many years. Same bunch of guys every year. One guy was great at planning it out and gave directions to everyone. Of all the time i went there i never saw a shootable deer but did see plenty of moose. Camp was a load of fun though and there was always alot of laughs and the food was great, but never did shoot a deer there. In there area i’m in now i see deer pretty much each sit and typical shooting distance with the bow is well within 10 yrds in most cases. Most of the guys i used to go with have passed now so not much point in the trip for me. Enjoy your time there and whatever you do, don’t bring the pickled eggs. Deadly.

Fall turkey hunting is hit or miss.  Dont hear gobblers calling from morning roost tree, so no idea where they are roosting.

Also, on our family farm, they never are in the same tree areas that they are in the spring, so more pot luck to get one.  Usually get them in the spring on field fence tree rows, but going to try the big bush this fall, cause I have only seen a few droppings along the field edges this past 2 trips to the farm scouting.

I will be on archery moose hunt but will be back and out a few days after the opener. I picked up a window air conditioner for my garage for early season kills and it works great. I also shot my biggest buck scored 166 the first week of the season a couple years ago so you never know. I see a lot of deer early season before they are aware of your presence or pressured by other hunters.

1 minute ago, mooseslayer said:

I will be on archery moose hunt but will be back and out a few days after the opener. I picked up a window air conditioner for my garage for early season kills and it works great. I also shot my biggest buck scored 166 the first week of the season a couple years ago so you never know. I see a lot of deer early season before they are aware of your presence or pressured by other hunters.

I’m sure you’ll slay a moose. Good luck on your trip

Just went out this morning to make sure everything is still looking good for next Saturday, and came across this rub 15 foot from my stand! Very excited! I also had a nice size doe send me a picture right at my site 1 hour before heading in. These temps have very dropped good and going to be a cold opener! Goodluck everyone! 

20220924_084406.jpg

8 minutes ago, Davidp16 said:

Just went out this morning to make sure everything is still looking good for next Saturday, and came across this rub 15 foot from my stand! Very excited! I also had a nice size doe send me a picture right at my site 1 hour before heading in. These temps have very dropped good and going to be a cold opener! Goodluck everyone! 

20220924_084406.jpg

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

My son's birthday today ,Oct. 7 .  Last night he bagged a nice buck . He and his wife had to drag the buck out of the bush and across a big field to get it into the truck . 

I give them credit for a job well done !   (chip off the old block)  :) 

Just now, mooseslayer said:

And what a wife!!!

She is a trooper for sure . They both enjoy outdoor activities, including kayaking . They are rarely home during the weekends. 

8 minutes ago, Markster said:

Excellent, congratulations to him!
And of course i would expect some backstrap is coming your way?

I'll drop by for a visit , got a rain barrel to deliver ......   and a new freezer in my basement .....;)

Get yourself some of those backstrap steaks about 3/4” thick, thaw them to room temp, heat up a cast iron pan to smoken’ hot, add a little bit of oil and put those steaks on for about 4 mins a side. Then place in the oven at 350 for about 5 mins. Take it out and cover with melted butter.

You will stop fishing and start hunting again.👍

Just now, Markster said:

You will stop fishing and start hunting again.👍

Will you stop that ? !   :o  I had bacon and eggs for dinner today and it was very good ....until you teased me with that recipe ! 

Dan has deboned the deer like he did with his last one . My good neighbour would be glad to smoke any meat or fish I take to him , 

so I have many options .  That sounds so sweet and simple , must WRITE THAT DOWN !  Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Filled one of my tags this morning at around 730am. I have just been missing this guy the last few days by minutes. Watched him eat for over 5 minutes before he finally turned and gave me a shot. Hit both heart and liver and he buckled after only 20 or so yards. Now have a doe tag to fill next  20221025_085657.jpg

20221025_095521.jpg

2 hours ago, Darryl L said:

Filled one of my tags this morning at around 730am. I have just been missing this guy the last few days by minutes. Watched him eat for over 5 minutes before he finally turned and gave me a shot. Hit both heart and liver and he buckled after only 20 or so yards. Now have a doe tag to fill next  20221025_085657.jpg

20221025_095521.jpg

Nice buck Darryl L