Coyote issues

Darryl L

Never have I seen so many coyotes as I have this year. Almost every day on my trail cameras there are multiple wandering around, eating my apples etc...time to thin the herd over here. Got this guy tonight right around 645pm. One of MANY on this property. Didn't go very far. Screenshot_20221016-211558_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221016-211550_Gallery.jpg

over one hundred years of trapping, poisoning, shooting from planes and we still have lots of coyotes. If there are lots of food sources they will have lots of pups. Less food less pups. Add in the urbanization of this area and they have lots of sanctuaries for breeding. If there are too many...disease like the mange helps thin out the population. The group I used to hunt with shot over 80 in one year. Other than generating some fear of humans we didn't see much change in the numbers. We set a trail camera by a coyote den one summer and counted 28 deer fawns brought in for the pups. One set of parents. Might be a reason for less deer permits in certain areas.

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice kill. What type of gun do you shoot yotes with?

I was fishing Welland today and there was a coyote right beside someone’s house sitting on a hill. 

That was with a cross bow. I was deer hunting so that's what I had with me. Put a good hole through him and he didn't make it very far. 

2 hours ago, Markster said:

Darryl, that is one ugly ‘yote.

almost looks like a cross between a red fox and a coyote.

they’re all over the place this year, along with raccoons. 

Yes we are seeing a ton of raccoons as well. Have to keep a .22 with me from now on. Too expensive wrecking bolts and broadheads on coyotes 

• 1 month later...

CH News last night showed a video of a small child being attacked by a yote ....had her down on the ground in front of her house when her mother came rushing out , grabbed the child from the yote and tossed a bottle of water at the yote . 

The yote made another aggressive pass at the child and the mother then rushed at the yote which then ran away ....scary thing for both mother and child . 

Have to give Mom credit for not panicking and accosting the yote . Mother's instinct right there !  

yea smerch, its a big dog for sure.

I wish there was bounty on them, then they would be worth going after.
With canada goose no longer buying, the last i heard was 5 usd per pelt. I can’t drive my truck for that price.
As it stands now, i trap them off only because i like hunting deer.
A pack of them can decimate a deer herd pretty quick.

P.S. is anyone else finding dead raccoons out on their hunt properties?
i’m finding a few dead ones, all with signs of diarrea which is a symtom of distemper.
None of the ones i’ve trapped off have shown any such signs, but there are plenty of them around this year.

We put a trail camera near an adult coyote den. Over the course of the summer the parents brought back 28 deer fawns for the pups to eat. They can do a number on deer.

I had a lot of Deer around last year and this past winter everywhere I walked on my property it was Coyote tracks covering the entire property. This year I am seeing a lot less deer than last year.

I also live very close to the Chippewa Consevation Park 

1 hour ago, coyotehunter said:

We put a trail camera near an adult coyote den. Over the course of the summer the parents brought back 28 deer fawns for the pups to eat. They can do a number on deer.

16 hours ago, Markster said:

Whoa, thats a big coyote!

60 lb’ers are really big - 72 may be an eastern wolf.

No - they can get that big.

when I lived near Midland, our club had biologist from Midhurst MNR give talks at some meetings, and he said that they had weighed in coyotes anywhere from 22 Lbs to 90 Lbs. In Simcoe County.

14 hours ago, Duncan said:

I picked up a night vision scope ( just a cheap one ) here in China. When I get back home I will see just how good it is .

What are those worth ? Watched some amazing videos of guys boar hunting at night with those scopes.

A 90 lb. yote ?  That would be as large as my (past) Rotti  !  

I wouldn't care to tangle with any yote without a weapon  of some sort !   

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

What are those worth ? Watched some amazing videos of guys boar hunting at night with those scopes.

You could prob. order them straight from China at 1/4 the cost here ....

2 hours ago, Darryl L said:

I bought them from Taobau (like Amazon ) the price was 488rmb which is almost $100cdn .

looking thru the. At night from the hotel room and closing all the curtains to make ihe room pitch black let’s you see pretty good the adjustment for the cross hair remains to be seen how accurate it is going to be . I am not sure if Taobau ships to 

Canada .

On 12/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, coyotehunter said:

Doesn't make much difference if you have a night scope. You cannot hunt with it in Canada.

15 hours ago, fishingking said:

Unfortunately...

Hunting regs says that Landowners ,farmers or there agents can hunt for Coyotes  at night if they are protecting there livestock . I think a argument could be made for protecting property and pets . 
Being a landowner and having pets I think if I wished to hunt at night I could make a case for doing this . A surefire way would be to get a few chickens and that’s livestock .