Coming storm Dec 23-24

Chrisb

It is going to be a big one if the forecast holds.

This is the same forecast as the big one last year. The only thing that might save us is the lake is almost 2 feet lower than last year.

FRIDAY  Southwest gales to 40 knots increasing to 45 knots.  Snow showers. Waves 11 to 15 feet building to 16 to 21 feet.  Waves occasionally around 27 feet.  SATURDAY  Southwest gales to 45 knots becoming west and  diminishing to 30 knots. Snow showers. Waves 15 to 20 feet  subsiding to 10 to 14 feet. Waves occasionally around 26 feet.

CH news reported winds up to 120 k . I hope not . 

Lake O. is down over 2'  so both upper & lower river must be low as well . 

That should help with the flooding at Erie , with no ice being tossed on shore . 

Hoping to hear no damage to buildings etc.

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

It is going to be a big one if the forecast holds.

This is the same forecast as the big one last year. The only thing that might save us is the lake is almost 2 feet lower than last year.

FRIDAY  Southwest gales to 40 knots increasing to 45 knots.  Snow showers. Waves 11 to 15 feet building to 16 to 21 feet.  Waves occasionally around 27 feet.  SATURDAY  Southwest gales to 45 knots becoming west and  diminishing to 30 knots. Snow showers. Waves 15 to 20 feet  subsiding to 10 to 14 feet. Waves occasionally around 26 feet.

Hope the cottage stays safe Chrisb. 

Ready for the blow. Just came back from the cottage. Everything is tied down or put away. I this is going to be a bad one mostly because I think it is going to last a long time not just a couple of hours.

Just now, Chrisb said:

Ready for the blow. Just came back from the cottage. Everything is tied down or put away. If this is going to be a bad one mostly because I think it is going to last a long time not just a couple of hours.

It seems likely Erie will get another mean blast  from this storm . Hopefully we will not be hit  too hard up our way north of Welland  .

The snow blower is ready , just in case......

5 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Ready for the blow. Just came back from the cottage. Everything is tied down or put away. I this is going to be a bad one mostly because I think it is going to last a long time not just a couple of hours.

Looks like almost 30 hours of wind gusts 100km/h

It just became a holy crap storm.

FRIDAY 

Southwest gales to 45 knots increasing to 50 knot  storms. Snow and rain early, then snow from late morning on.  Heavy freezing spray from late morning on. Waves 13 to 17 feet  building to 20 to 25 feet. Waves occasionally around 32 feet. 

FRIDAY NIGHT

Southwest storm force winds to 50 knots  diminishing to 45 knot gales. Heavy freezing spray. Snow. Waves  20 to 25 feet subsiding to 17 to 22 feet. Waves occasionally  around 32 feet.

14 hours ago, Chrisb said:

It just became a holy crap storm.

FRIDAY 

Southwest gales to 45 knots increasing to 50 knot  storms. Snow and rain early, then snow from late morning on.  Heavy freezing spray from late morning on. Waves 13 to 17 feet  building to 20 to 25 feet. Waves occasionally around 32 feet. 

FRIDAY NIGHT

Southwest storm force winds to 50 knots  diminishing to 45 knot gales. Heavy freezing spray. Snow. Waves  20 to 25 feet subsiding to 17 to 22 feet. Waves occasionally  around 32 feet.

The snow is starting in brantford. Still light winds. Might have to take a drive to the lake to check out 30’ waves. Now that’s a walleye chop

That's a scary scene !   We are  talking LAKE waves that many people would not believe can be that large . 

Lets hope the winds don't cause much damage and we keep the heat on !  We have a gas fireplace stove which has a manual setting, but the fan wouldn't run.

and the kitchen stove is also gas . 

1 hour ago, genec said:

Our hydro already went out once at 9:00…back on at 9:40.

wonder how long before its out again.

Not sure where you are, but I'm in the office in Welland and we lost power too for a bit.

Took my dog out and he wasn’t having the 78km wind/snow in his face. We didn’t last long I was afraid of his face freezing. 
went and grabbed pizza. The roads are snowy/icy but manageable for everyone. Just don’t stop on The hills without 4x4 or you’re getting stuck. Had to help one lady in a 2wd truck. 

My daughter lives in fort Erie...she said they got it pretty bad yesterday...and the girlfriend's son despite his mother's warning not to go over the river to holiday valley on Thursday night is stuck over the border amid travel bans...I got up for work about 6 pm yesterday and then made the executive decision to stay home for the night and stay warm with a few krakens and the fireplace... waiting for updates from our kids today

35 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

My daughter lives in fort Erie...she said they got it pretty bad yesterday...and the girlfriend's son despite his mother's warning not to go over the river to holiday valley on Thursday night is stuck over the border amid travel bans...I got up for work about 6 pm yesterday and then made the executive decision to stay home for the night and stay warm with a few krakens and the fireplace... waiting for updates from our kids today

Good decision to stay home last night. I spent most the evening pushing and pulling vehicles out of the intersection by my place. Every car/van was getting stuck. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Took my dog out and he wasn’t having the 78km wind/snow in his face. We didn’t last long I was afraid of his face freezing. 
went and grabbed pizza. The roads are snowy/icy but manageable for everyone. Just don’t stop on The hills without 4x4 or you’re getting stuck. Had to help one lady in a 2wd truck. 

If I wanted to buy a pickup  truck it would be a 4 x 4  for sure . My 2002  2wd Ford was useless during icy conditions. My  2005 Jimmy had 4wd and was great in the snow .

Our little pooch uses a pee pad in the house ....keeping the 'boys' from icing up . (can you blame him)?

Jack ...we just got some pics from Dan and my grandaughter in Ft.Erie . They got blasted with snow ! She has snow half way up the door & the basement got flooded as the sump pump had no power ....Gens. called into action !!  pic to follow ...

Bries  snow door.JPG

Update from my daughter too ...they are pretty much snowed in ..some of their friends without power ect... obviously they are changing plans ...best I know.. Shannon son is going to be stuck over the border again today... He should have listened to his mommy on that one...lol..we sure lucked out here in St Kitts Bill 

Just now, Jwl1 said:

Update from my daughter too ...they are pretty much snowed in ..some of their friends without power ect... obviously they are changing plans ...best I know.. Shannon son is going to be stuck over the border again today... He should have listened to his mommy on that one...lol..we sure lucked out here in St Kitts Bill 

We got plenty of wind here , still blowing quite hard . My neighbour across the road is using the blower and looks like a snowman !

As Morwood80 said ...' pissing in the wind' .  

I "was" going to check out my driveway but I don't like being pissed on , so I'll wait for the wind to calm down a tad before I venture out there .

We have some good size drifts Jack and of course the snow plow has left a pile of the hard stuff at the driveway . 

As mentioned earlier ....we don't need the snow for ice on the ponds , so maybe the winds did some good there ....I'll be checking that out in a few days.

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

We got plenty of wind here , still blowing quite hard . My neighbour across the road is using the blower and looks like a snowman !

As Morwood80 said ...' pissing in the wind' .  

I "was" going to check out my driveway but I don't like being pissed on , so I'll wait for the wind to calm down a tad before I venture out there .

We have some good size drifts Jack and of course the snow plow has left a pile of the hard stuff at the driveway . 

As mentioned earlier ....we don't need the snow for ice on the ponds , so maybe the winds did some good there ....I'll be checking that out in a few days.

That's amazing Bill. With all the wind, there is not a speck of snow on my sidewalks and I'm just around the corner from you. Must of been the direction of the wind I guess.

Just now, knightfisher said:

That's amazing Bill. With all the wind, there is not a speck of snow on my sidewalks and I'm just around the corner from you. Must of been the direction of the wind I guess.

Yes Dan ,  our front deck is snowless while the back deck has a foot of snow . The 'lee' side usually get the drifts from the roof .  

I'm heading out with my snow suit and boots to clear the back steps ....gotta check out my minnies out in the cold temps.