Disappointing Niagara Morning

genec

Since there doesn’t appear any hope for ice in Niagara, I decided to try a pre-dawn trip to Ft. Erie this morning to fish the river at Nicholls for a chance at a dawn walleye.  Really disappointed when I got there before daylight to find the water very murky with sediment, and visibility only about 6 inches down!  Fished for 1/2 hour, but quit when it started to rain.

8 minutes ago, genec said:

Since there doesn’t appear any hope for ice in Niagara, I decided to try a pre-dawn trip to Ft. Erie this morning to fish the river at Nicholls for a chance at a dawn walleye.  Really disappointed when I got there before daylight to find the water very murky with sediment, and visibility only about 6 inches down!  Fished for 1/2 hour, but quit when it started to rain.

Credit given for getting out there and giving it a shot  Gene  !  When I see the 12 Mile all mucked up at the 4th Ave bridge I know Port Dal .will be low viz. The River will clear up faster with the direct flow from Erie . It takes the 12 to Port longer to clear from the Allanburg-Gibson -Martindale area with farmland runoff included.  If we get a ggod cold snap & get some ice soon I expect to see murky ice fishing as well .  I've seen this happen before then get plenty of ice during a very cold February well into March . Keep you tip up Gene !   :Gonefishing:

Hey guys! Sorry to hear about the rough morning, I know the feeling. I come in from toronto as much as i can to fish the niagara. I was 50/50 about fishing it this morning but saw it was blowing sw around 25 kms all night. It seems to me at least, that since that giant wind event that Erie hasn't truly settled and seems to murk up quicker right now with less wind than usual. Anyways... hope the next outing is a little fishier!

Radio, I dont think Tyler meant the couch comment as a put-down, just that trying is the only way to catch them, even if you have the no-luck days.

I certainly wouldn’t be able to do an all-day like you!!

And I don't blame you for not going today, cause it certainly wasn't worth the effort, both with the water conditions and the weather.

1 hour ago, genec said:

By the looks of the long range forecast, first possible day for me might be next Tuesday.

No real strong winds in the forecast before then, so maybe the water will clear a lot by then.

I checked out Port Dal. today & was surprised to see the water has cleared up nicely ! The pond above the dam has also cleared up ....should have taken my pike rod (still some thin ice on the pond) . I   checked a few spots for minnows but notta ! 

I talked to a fellow who was roe fishing ....nothing much happening , then he recogized my mug from here ... I hope he had some action today . 

Let's see what tomorrow brings ......  :Gonefishing: ?

2 hours ago, Radio said:

Ok thanks genec. I guess I was after some actual info and not the two bit motivation speech... anyways... I hope you nail them the next time you get out

About 10 years ago I saw a guy fishing the west wall  when the water was really mucked up . He was using a heavy weight , 3 way rig with a roe bag the size of a quarter . I was waiting to see him catch a catfish ......but he got a beauty brown trout !  You never know ...that roe bag might end up right in front of a fishes nose .....

Just now, roly said:

Nice talking to you today Smerch, I didn't have any luck, but I did see a few fish caught after you left. 

Nice talking to you roly .  Maybe the boaters had some luck too . I should have packed a rod & give it a go today . 

14 hours ago, cplummer said:

Skunked on the upper say what.    Your fishing the wrong spot for walleye    Just my guess :)

Shore fishing from beside Nicholl’s has always been an iffy outing.

Its easily accessible, but many times no luck there, nor have I seen others have a great deal of luck there.

If you know of a better spot to SHORE fish the upper river I’d sure like to know where to go!! - pm me if you have a suggestion, cause I’m tired of getting skunked.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:09 PM, Darryl L said:

The two biggest walleye I've ever caught were both from shore at Nichols, but you have to put ALOT of time in there. I lost interest in driving 25 mins to get there when 90% ofte the time I didn't even get a bite

I saw pics of a whitefish caught there last winter. The guy that owns the tackle shop 

I used to live right up the road from there and fished there alot....it's always hit and miss there depending on time of year ..fishing pressure...and availability of baitfish.....it's a natural back eddie with a slight slope that has lots of fish holding potential....you can literally catch anything that swims in the lake there ..even multi species in the same day...there's a few factors to take into consideration there though....mainly the biggest factor is how far out the main current line is....with a keen eye you can see where the current changes...it's approx 15 ft deep....wind direction as well....lots of fish hold on the current break.....if you can cast out to the main current...reel in a bit then let it drop in the back current....the bottom is pretty flat there ..so....the current is the main structure....if the wind is pushing inward the fish will tend to be closer to shore....minnow imitations work best...jigged slowly