Niagara Area Tackle Shops?

Port_D_Guy

I'm talking about independent shops. I know of the three that I frequent. That would be Peters, Fishing World and Grimsby Tackle. Anything else out there that may be under the radar? There used to be one in Niagara Falls.

I think you have them all listed . There were other small places to buy tackle years ago like ...

Bezo in Port Weller , Finnigans in Niag.Falls , John Raso in Welland , and many years ago ,East Side Tackle at Port Dalhousie, and Steve Wells Tackle Shop at Port Dal.

All gone now...

I understand its a tough gig to stay competitive in a market against the big box stores.

Look at the prices of lures now. $15 for Rapala? I'd rather pay that at a indie shop than at Canadian Tire, if I really needed it. 

I remember Steve Wells and Old Man Rooker from Eastside. I met his grandson in Welland at his car lot recently. Finnigan was the store I couldn't remember. Very bass oriented.  There was one in Fort Erie as well, but not sure if its around. So many good things changing for the worst. 

There was a small store in Fort Erie right on the upper river called "Fishin Niagara" . He shut down around Covid and also has never reopened. I went to a fishing show in Buffalo New York a few weeks ago. The lures were significantly cheaper but once you tacked on the 40% exchange there was zero difference in price 

2 hours ago, Darryl L said:

There was a small store in Fort Erie right on the upper river called "Fishin Niagara" . He shut down around Covid and also has never reopened. I went to a fishing show in Buffalo New York a few weeks ago. The lures were significantly cheaper but once you tacked on the 40% exchange there was zero difference in price 

Wayyyyy before Covid

I didn't know about that one Bruce....he is well stocked with a a nice variety of goods . I have the same Baffin boots I bought at Home Hardware , not warm enough for ice fishing though . Those small pop up shelters could come in handy for rainy fishing days or a portable (potable) out house , or catching a nap while waiting for the alarm...  

If I decide to spend a day at the grand for cats or walters , I would visit the tackle shop ...maybe find some "Ugli" baits there ?   

On 3/25/2023 at 4:18 PM, Darryl L said:

Denis (great guy) ran Fishin Niagara........................I didn't realize that it wasn't open.......................

Grimsby Tackle had a guy who repaired reels (RIP) and he fixed my very old Stradic 4000 (new bail arm)  I bought from John Rasso in Welland ...back in the day...

The reel was fixed very quickly and I bought an ultra light rod for crappie, perch etc. when I picked up the reel .

It's good to have local reel repair/service  available to keep cranks turning !

Our small bait & tackle shops are run by people who know their stuff and are willing to help with any questions you have .

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

Grimsby Tackle had a guy who repaired reels (RIP) and he fixed my very old Stradic 4000 (new bail arm)  I bought from John Rasso in Welland ...back in the day...

The reel was fixed very quickly and I bought an ultra light rod for crappie, perch etc. when I picked up the reel .

It's good to have local reel repair/service  available to keep cranks turning !

Our small bait & tackle shops are run by people who know their stuff and are willing to help with any questions you have .

John Gadzo , good guy , lived along the lake in Grimsby, left us in 2018