Tick Spray - $Cheap - Effective

With mild winter ticks will likely  be active early this season. Here is a cheap homemade spray that in my opinion is safe for humans and dogs. 
*Avoid contact with face and eyes.

Dollar Store: 1 litre spray bottles $3

Rexall: yellow Rexall brand Listerine mouth wash 

mix 9:1 ratio 9 parts yellow listerine to 1 part tap water

shake and spray lightly on base layers (socks, under layers…especially inside boot or shoe tongues and around waist line), tuck socks into pant legs, spray liberally onto all outer garment layers, if Turkey hunting..I also spray inside of hoodies and pant waistline and also outside of all gear including face masks…hat, back packs, boots including bottoms, decoy bags, cushion,  I carry a bottle with me to freshen up in the forest after a few hours. I have been using this for 2 years and it has been most effective! I still bring  2 large garbage bags (1 to put boots into and other to put clothes into for transport at end of hike). Still need to check for ticks after outings…and put clothes into dryer on high for 30 min to kill any live ticks. I find these little army tanks can survive dormant for days on gear and then find them crawling around in house or other days later.

Can also spray dogs under coat with this spray.

Note: not all ticks carry the bacteria that can cause Lyme disease…but the risk is high in Niagara, and ticks may also transmit other ailments.

I do not use DEET anymore after it took the paint off some of my equipment…in my opinion I do not think it is as safe as this alternative…but that is my preference.

Safe Hiking!

3 hours ago, 10 Pointer said:

With mild winter ticks will likely  be active early this season. Here is a cheap homemade spray that in my opinion is safe for humans and dogs. 
*Avoid contact with face and eyes.

Dollar Store: 1 litre spray bottles $3

Rexall: yellow Rexall brand Listerine mouth wash 

mix 9:1 ratio 9 parts yellow listerine to 1 part tap water

shake and spray lightly on base layers (socks, under layers…especially inside boot or shoe tongues and around waist line), tuck socks into pant legs, spray liberally onto all outer garment layers, if Turkey hunting..I also spray inside of hoodies and pant waistline and also outside of all gear including face masks…hat, back packs, boots including bottoms, decoy bags, cushion,  I carry a bottle with me to freshen up in the forest after a few hours. I have been using this for 2 years and it has been most effective! I still bring  2 large garbage bags (1 to put boots into and other to put clothes into for transport at end of hike). Still need to check for ticks after outings…and put clothes into dryer on high for 30 min to kill any live ticks. I find these little army tanks can survive dormant for days on gear and then find them crawling around in house or other days later.

Can also spray dogs under coat with this spray.

Note: not all ticks carry the bacteria that can cause Lyme disease…but the risk is high in Niagara, and ticks may also transmit other ailments.

I do not use DEET anymore after it took the paint off some of my equipment…in my opinion I do not think it is as safe as this alternative…but that is my preference.

Safe Hiking!

Screenshot_20230328_172309_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, fishingking said:

Not sure what happened to my post..but this what I use ..same don't get it on skin at all its got permathryin in it...I diluted it to 50 percent..not one tick in.last couple years...probably not the greatest for us either but they use it on horses so..

Where do you buy this?

Just now, fishingking said:

.probably not the greatest for us either but they use it on horses so..

They used to call me Trigger , so I will look  into it . The Deep Woods I used last year didn't stop a few ticks from  getting on my clothes . I take my shirts off when I get back to my van and check them and my other clothing , 

& don't get it in the eyes !  It would make a good 'bear spray' for self defence !

Been spraying my outer 2-piece camo suit, hat, gear bag, seat, boots with Ultra Shield for the last 4 years - never picked up a single tick in all that time I hunt spring or fall!  Very effective.

I get it at Peavy Mart.

I Bag my camo suit in a garbage bag after spraying and letting it air out on clothesline for 3 hours, and just get it out of bag once I’m at my hunting location.  Rebag it as soon as I get back to the jeep.  Respray again after 3-4 weeks.

I have been intending on going to Peavy Mart at Bunting Rd. for a few items . They have some nice clothing and items you don't see in other stores . 

I usually wear a Tilley hat in warm weather . One time a tick must have crawled inside through a tiny vent hole & when I checked the hat it was inside , getting ready to get into my hair ! (which is hard to check)  

Good advice Gene , you seem to have it under full control now .

Just now, Bubba14 said:

$28.99 

I prefer to say $29.00  +  tax since we eliminated the penny . And there may be an environment tax as well ?  :ph34r:  Gotta watch those hidden fees .....

It's almost a liter so it's still cheaper per oz.than the regular deet spray cans we get from the big box stores .

Speaking of BBS ....I saw the 6" Rapala knife at Wally M. yesterday at a mere $55 plus the gouge tax. I paid $20 for my last 6" Rap knife ... 

And take some Gravol before checking out the price of a 6" jointed Rap !   :o

I'd say we are being gouged ....I could use a 200% raise in my pension ....should almost cover the extra 'pennies' .....

I will grab a bottle of that horse liniment and give it a shot . I'm expecting a tick invasion very soon !

Again Gene , thanks for the tip .....and I'm also looking for more info from experienced people who wear clothing which is supposed to be tick proof....

...hemp wear.... ?

19 hours ago, genec said:

Been spraying my outer 2-piece camo suit, hat, gear bag, seat, boots with Ultra Shield for the last 4 years - never picked up a single tick in all that time I hunt spring or fall!  Very effective.

I get it at Peavy Mart.

I Bag my camo suit in a garbage bag after spraying and letting it air out on clothesline for 3 hours, and just get it out of bag once I’m at my hunting location.  Rebag it as soon as I get back to the jeep.  Respray again after 3-4 weeks.

I paid them a visit this blustery day and bought some of that spray , $29 +Tax. I went through the whole store looking for 'deals' and picked up some blue jeans , socks , short sleeve shirt ($7) & a small dog collar ($5) . They have some clearance fishing stuff , some ice fishing  micro jigs, rods etc. I got some small pencil floats ,2 for $1.97.

They are like Princess Auto /Minor Bros. combined . They have large bags of animal food and also 44 lb.bags of dog & cat food ....and 40 lb. bags of chopped corn for carp chum .  I enjoyed the shopping spree there , nice to see different stuff ....some very pricey stuff too ! 

Some of the booty .....

Peavy Stuff.JPG

That Ultra Shield container should last you at least a couple of years Bill.

Last time I went to buy it they were out of the spray bottles, so had to buy a 4 Litre jug.  Expensive, but 3 years later I still have lots left for another couple of years.  I have never found a tick on any of my clothing or gear since I started using the stuff - can’t ask for better performance than that!

This spray bottle is about 4 times larger than my bottle of Muskol which cost $12 . The Ultra Shield  would be cheaper , depending on how much used each time and  I haven't given it the sniff test yet . The Muskol has a very strong scent .  

Most spots where I carp fish are a haven for ticks , and more of the black legged ones are appearing in Niagara . I'm not a bug/spider fan ....  :unsure: 

I can tell you that you don't want to get it on your skin at all...I took.my buddy out hunting and he sprayed the back of his gloves and then wiped sweat off his forehead not thinking...he had a really red irratated forehead itchiness and stinging till he got it washed off ...be careful with it .

Been using ultrashield for years. Derived from marigolds hence the smell. NEVER put it on your skin. Spray on clothing in a well ventilated area wearing rubber gloves. Let dry completely. Don't forget to spray inside pockets, sleeves and pant legs. I even do inside the rubber boots and shoes.

You can wash the clothing several times in cold wash and it still lasts.  Gearing up for turkey season so I need to spray.

I don't trust using sunscreen , as we know our skin absorbs chemicals good or bad  . I use it sparingly and wash up when I get home .

"You can wash the clothing several times in cold water and it still lasts" 

Do you use the washing machine and dryer ? Would some residue remain and get into other clothing ? 

I want to be careful where this stuff can go .  and do you spray it very lightly on the clothing and hats ?

Spraying inside pockets/boots is just a waste…if the outside layer is treated it will repel them and they wont stay on it long enough to crawl inside anything.

First year I used it I saw a tick on the ground, set it on my treated boot top, and watched it scramble to get off quickly.

I do it because it's fairly cheap to give a few extra sprays and is insurance if there is an unsprayed area near a pocket. First time I used the spray I shook out the pockets and two dead ticks fell out on the floor. Wife is not impressed if one of the little buggers crawls on her.....permanent "headache".

On 3/30/2023 at 10:00 PM, coyotehunter said:

permanent "headache".

Ohhhh...the ultimate punishment !  :deadhorse:

I tested the spray  Ultra shield today and found the odour not too bad . It smells like citronella which is quite easy on the nose.

A few of my carp spots have heavy weed growth so it will be a good test for this stuff .

30 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ohhhh...the ultimate punishment !  :deadhorse:

I tested the spray  Ultra shield today and found the odour not too bad . It smells like citronella which is quite easy on the nose.

A few of my carp spots have heavy weed growth so it will be a good test for this stuff .

I think I’ll be taking my kayak more often this year then bushwhacking. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I think I’ll be taking my kayak more often this year then bushwhacking. 

Many of my spots are no boat zones....like the 12 , canal , Gibby and the ticks are plentiful . I may use my canoe to access Jordan spots . 

• 2 weeks later...