12 Mile

honeyv

Got out for a bit last night. Managed one kitten just before I was about to head back. Good ol' Carolina rig and some leftover cut bait from GRO did the trick. This little knarly beast saved me from getting skunked! 🤣

By the way, does anyone know what's up with that big encampment on the 12 by the footbridge over the 406? Does the city do anything about this, or one of those turn a blind eye type of things? There's so much garbage everywhere! 

IMG_20230524_213550_242.jpg

In January of this year a Supreme Court Judge ruled that it is unconstitutional to remove homeless people from these encampments without providing them shelter or other accommodations first. The Police and the city are basically handcuffed for fear of lawsuits etc...what a world 

Decent size cat HV !   It looks like you are fishing at the base of the "root beer " river ....lots of cats and carp in there . We used to call it sudsy because of the 12" of foam on the water !  I know some spots where the cats roam , just south of the train trestle .I have used shrimp and done well or load up a large hook with a big worm ,,

And where I usually catch carp just east of Galbraith St. there cats in that wide area of the 12 also ....but the bottom has some hangups like tree branches  ect. Also try for cats at the bottom of the rapids at Welland Vale rapids . A big cat took my 5" Tadpolly there , while fishing for pike .

I drove across the 406  bridge yesterday ....what a mess !   Only 2 lanes were open on the north side while they were doing work on the south side lanes . It's a crazy area for traffic !   And the train bridge is being replaced which may take 2 years ???  There's a set of lights there now with one lane open , better to go over the tracks at Pelham Rd.

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

In January of this year a Supreme Court Judge ruled that it is unconstitutional to remove homeless people from these encampments without providing them shelter or other accommodations first. The Police and the city are basically handcuffed for fear of lawsuits etc...what a world 

No way... That's nuts!

11 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Decent size cat HV !   It looks like you are fishing at the base of the "root beer " river ....lots of cats and carp in there . We used to call it sudsy because of the 12" of foam on the water !  I know some spots where the cats roam , just south of the train trestle .I have used shrimp and done well or load up a large hook with a big worm ,,

And where I usually catch carp just east of Galbraith St. there cats in that wide area of the 12 also ....but the bottom has some hangups like tree branches  ect. Also try for cats at the bottom of the rapids at Welland Vale rapids . A big cat took my 5" Tadpolly there , while fishing for pike .

I drove across the 406  bridge yesterday ....what a mess !   Only 2 lanes were open on the north side while they were doing work on the south side lanes . It's a crazy area for traffic !   And the train bridge is being replaced which may take 2 years ???  There's a set of lights there now with one lane open , better to go over the tracks at Pelham Rd.

Thanks Smerch, sure it was decent, but we both know there's bigger in the 12. You're right! I was closer to the bottom of the RBR. Not quite on that concrete platform, on the other side of that at the mouth. 

I've even had some real good luck with cats on the rbr further up on the stretch that runs along Oakdale just off Moffatt. 

And yes, roads were messy yesterday LOL

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

cats at the bottom of the rapids at Welland Vale rapids . A big cat took my 5" Tadpolly there , while fishing for pike .

Coincidently .....there was a stabbing there last night , lots of cops investigating . I have mentioned previously one has to be careful fishing the 12 ...never after dark because of the druggies who like to go there . During the day , many walkers with dogs, cyclists , and the odd dirt bike travel the trails there . 

15 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Coincidently .....there was a stabbing there last night , lots of cops investigating . I have mentioned previously one has to be careful fishing the 12 ...never after dark because of the druggies who like to go there . During the day , many walkers with dogs, cyclists , and the odd dirt bike travel the trails there . 

Honestly, I'd bet its a huge problem. 

So I caught the one and I missed a bite. But I wanted to stay as I usually would for cats until after dark... but with all those guys I personally didn't feel safe staying after last light. There were two of us, but even still easily out numbered. Which is a huge bummer because its a problem when locals can't feel safe while fishing. I can't tell you how many times I said to myself "I wish I had the bear spray on me" just in case haha 

I didn't hear about a stabbing down there though... That's wild. I did see them harassing a man walking his dog and based on that alone I feel like police/city should be doing something about it.

Thanks for the info Bubba ,  the suspect lives a km or so from my house . Those ebikes can go quite fast as some have flew silently very close to me at my front yard. 

Some people have died from a single stab wound , so I believe when a person stabs someone , the charge should be attemped murder . Maybe people would think twice before using a blade , or any object to stab others . Multible stabbings is surely an attempt at taking a life . 

I have seen the needles ect. at my fishing holes , so we must be careful and check the area well before we wet our lines . A woman was walking her dog in the Haig/Thomas St.area yesterday and the dog acted strangely shortly after ....rushed to the vet who found some drugs in the dogs blood ....saved the dog's life ,  so beware when taking your dog fishing or for a stroll around the hood , it seems we have become a very drug oriented society . 

CSNY ....."Teach Your children Well"

Neil Young ....."The Needle & the Damage Done"   

Its why its not ideal to escalate a situation.

You don't know what another is capable of when pressed.

The biker could have been in the wrong.

Maybe the accused did something to create trouble.

Hard to say.

***** I should add that anybody carrying around a knife like that, isn't going to be a stable person.

The problem with these trails along the 12 Mile is it's a multi use trail . It's a great run for cyclists , walkers and anglers . Ebikes and dirt bikes run faster and can be a hazard to people walking their dogs ect. I use my mountain bike to get to some spots to fish, and I'm always careful to "ring my bell" when approaching people who are walking .

For sure , it's not ideal to confront an aggressive person , you never know what their state of mind is .

BTW honeyv....when I was a teen the area you fished was called the "Jungle" where the "bums" would hang out to drink their "Zing" wine . The arena  there now was full of trees and heavy cover where we would see many cat birds with their distinctive call . ....maybe find the old map on Niagara Navigator ....

17 hours ago, Tony said:

Wow......................Great catch.............................

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Wtf you stab someone and get an assault charge?

That's ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet if one of them was coming after me with a knife and I gave them a little spritz with the can, I'd catch an assault charge for protecting myself. 🤦

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

BTW honeyv....when I was a teen the area you fished was called the "Jungle" where the "bums" would hang out to drink their "Zing" wine . The arena  there now was full of trees and heavy cover where we would see many cat birds with their distinctive call . ....maybe find the old map on Niagara Navigator ....

I appreciate that little bit of history on the area. Always interesting to hear how the area has changed. Did you fish the Jungle when you were a teen? 

No , the water coming through the old canal was pretty rancid water from the paper mills  . It had a head of foam which looked like "root beer" , hence the name ....

all that lovely water flowed into the 12 Mile Creek and through Port Dahousie which was also was a real stink hole to fish ...but we caught a variety of fish and very large eels .

We never thought we would see the day when trout and salmon would be caught at Port D  !

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

No , the water coming through the old canal was pretty rancid water from the paper mills  . It had a head of foam which looked like "root beer" , hence the name ....

all that lovely water flowed into the 12 Mile Creek and through Port Dahousie which was also was a real stink hole to fish ...but we caught a variety of fish and very large eels .

We never thought we would see the day when trout and salmon would be caught at Port D  !

An eel would be a real cool catch. I've never even seen one. Port isn't a place I fish often, but as long as I've been in Niagara,  I've been hearing of Port and the whirlpool lol 

• 1 month later...

I heard that a man  was walking his dog near that spot at Hillcrest Ave. just a couple hundred yards upstream . They said the man was trying to save his dog and he went under and the dog was saved ....still looking for the man . Nothing about this in the Standard ??  

The current is very strong there as it approaches rapids at the new bridge . I heard they are seaching the 12  Mile system to Port Dalhousie . 

Very sad news......

I heard he is 35 .

He was seen going down the 12 on a raft ....very bad place to raft . His small dog looks very much like our Shih Tzu 

Missing man at 12 Mile.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2023 at 1:22 PM, smerchly said:

I heard that a man  was walking his dog near that spot at Hillcrest Ave. just a couple hundred yards upstream . They said the man was trying to save his dog and he went under and the dog was saved ....still looking for the man . Nothing about this in the Standard ??  

The current is very strong there as it approaches rapids at the new bridge . I heard they are seaching the 12  Mile system to Port Dalhousie . 

Very sad news......

I heard he is 35 .

He was seen going down the 12 on a raft ....very bad place to raft . His small dog looks very much like our Shih Tzu 

Missing man at 12 Mile.JPG

Yes heard about this. Very sad news.