Carp Day

smerchly

I tried Gibby for a change and hit up an old carp spot (  4 fow) . I was amazed to see and smell the smoke in the sky . Hamilton registered 200 on the scale where 15 is normal !

The fish didn't like the smoke either ....After an hour or so I decided to check the bait on one of the rods.As I started to reel it in the other rod started bouncing and I though I hooked into the other line as they were close together with different baits .So I stop reeling and the other line kept bouncing lol ...it had a carp on it running out line ! It was a small one about 4 lbs but a fiesty fighter for it's size.(like me) !  I didn't net it , just slipped out the barbless hook and off it went .

I was also amazed at the number of daisies there , never seen so many surrounding this lake before ( mild winter result again ) ?

My cousin sent me a picture of a nice carp , about 10 lbs , he caught yesterday while fishing by boat in the Welland R. ...caught it on a yellow twister (go figure) ! 

Gibby smoke today ....and daisies 

Gib smoke.JPG

Daisies.JPG

Nice going Smerch no skunking! I gave a couple of spots around Hamilton Harbor a try today and spoke to a few other carpers out chasing them too but none of us had any luck. I had polarized glasses on and was seeing fish 2ft below the surface in about 10ft of water just minding their own business cruising. Thinking I'll give either Jordan or Martindale a try Friday, they can't have lockjaw forever :)

Even after being an ex-smoker for many years I could feel my throat getting sore today. Reminded me of being at the pub and breathing in second hand smoke as a kid. Hopefully there is some rain in the future to help the situation.  

Stay safe, tight lines.

Nice to feel the fight of a fish again eh smerch. I’ve been slacking on The fishing. Some fishing coming up though. I have bass tournament next weekend and the carp 1vs1 starting soon. 

it’s definitely a lil smoky out there. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice to feel the fight of a fish again eh smerch. I’ve been slacking on The fishing. Some fishing coming up though. I have bass tournament next weekend and the carp 1vs1 starting soon. 

it’s definitely a lil smoky out there. 

Reduced sun ray intensity at least.

It was nice to get the feel of a carp on the line , gotta break in the rods slowly from 4 lbs. to 40 lbs .....

Who knows if the smoke affects them ....they weren't jumping !    

8 hours ago, rab546 said:

Reminded me of being at the pub and breathing in second hand smoke as a kid. Hopefully there is some rain in the future to help the situation.  

I smoked every brand of cigs. on the market as a kid , and some American Chesterfields as well . :rolleyes:  It was all stinky second hand stuff which must have helped me become a non smoker for about 80 years.  I did buy a pack of Kools but tossed them after smoking a few ....maybe that was a good choice to try cigs !   ;)

Hopefully we get lots of rain SOON  !   I'm going to get a NICE water bill after watering my new grass 3 times a day !  

• 1 month later...

Tried Jordan for carp , terrible walk to the water , and water viz about 1" .  I tried maize on the hair, corn puffs & Cheerios . ...managed to catch 2 small fiesty carp & a nice fat cat ....all on the cheerios ....my new 'go to bait' . 

Then I stopped at the new Timms near Victoria Ave. for a coffee & treat ,then off to CDPto check the water vis.which was dark brown but a good foot viz. One guy was fishing for carp with 3 rods spaced 40 ft. apart (illegal) and had a small half dead carp on a rope (for the table) .He lost a large carp in the branches under the water as I did  last year .....need to use 50 lb line to 'try' to keep them on top of the water .....

Nice to finally get out , catch a few fish then head home for lunch as it was too hot to fish in the sun .

Jordan Carp july 7 23.JPG

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Tried Jordan for carp , terrible walk to the water , and water viz about 1" .  I tried maize on the hair, corn puffs & Cheerios . ...managed to catch 2 small fiesty carp & a nice fat cat ....all on the cheerios ....my new 'go to bait' . 

Then I stopped at the new Timms near Victoria Ave. for a coffee & treat ,then off to CDPto check the water vis.which was dark brown but a good foot viz. One guy was fishing for carp with 3 rods spaced 40 ft. apart (illegal) and had a small half dead carp on a rope (for the table) .He lost a large carp in the branches under the water as I did  last year .....need to use 50 lb line to 'try' to keep them on top of the water .....

Nice to finally get out , catch a few fish then head home for lunch as it was too hot to fish in the sun .

Jordan Carp july 7 23.JPG

Nice you go into some fish smerch. The biggins have been hiding this year. 

How was the garbage?

last time I was there that side was clean but the other side was a disaster. I guess the guy that was volunteering his time emptying the garage cans isn’t doing it anymore. I didn’t see any garbage cans around so now people just make a dump site and expect someone else to clean it up. Yup the city will clean it up and also put up no trespassing signs. I can see that spot disappearing very soon. 
wish I lived closer  I’d take on the cleaning up after others. 

There was only a few beer cans , a couple of spray paint cans from the "artists" & an small THC container  there (artists) but the other side was a dump site since it has much easier access .A guy came & was loading up the cans in a large bag to take for a refund or for scrap weight .

I thought the water would be clearer but at least there was no algae or floating weeds .

37 minutes ago, smerchly said:

There was only a few beer cans , a couple of spray paint cans from the "artists" & an small THC container  there (artists) but the other side was a dump site since it has much easier access .A guy came & was loading up the cans in a large bag to take for a refund or for scrap weight .

I thought the water would be clearer but at least there was no algae or floating weeds .

IMG_3337.png

58 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

How was the garbage?

last time I was there that side was clean but the other side was a disaster. I guess the guy that was volunteering his time emptying the garage cans isn’t doing it anymore. I didn’t see any garbage cans around so now people just make a dump site and expect someone else to clean it up. Yup the city will clean it up and also put up no trespassing signs. I can see that spot disappearing very soon. 
wish I lived closer  I’d take on the cleaning up after others. 

Tyler you are 100% right. I bet more than half of the spots I used to fish as a kid are now NO TRESPASSING, and the region is just looking for reasons to ban other good shore spots. I can see down the road real difficulty finding a good spot unless you have a boat or a yak

35 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

Tyler you are 100% right. I bet more than half of the spots I used to fish as a kid are now NO TRESPASSING, and the region is just looking for reasons to ban other good shore spots. I can see down the road real difficulty finding a good spot unless you have a boat or a yak

And there is NO excuse to leave garbage where we fish because there's no garbage bins !! 

People will lug in full cans of drink and food but won't carry out the lighter empty containers . Too many people with air in their head or they are either too lazy or don't care about wildlife or anything else , and their home likely looks like a smelly pig pen .

• 1 month later...
Just now, Port_D_Guy said:

How long did he wait?

According to my old pc , he waited 7.3 seconds .  

The carp have been starved for a week !     B)

I caught a carp in about 7.4 seconds after I dropped my hair rig/corn in front of it . 

The kid broke my record......

• 2 months later...

I did my last carp run yesterday , fished deep water sitting in my van waiting for some action . The wind was cold even while sitting inside the van with the sliding door open . Then I saw the rod bounce hard & as I picked it up a cormorant surfaced 6 feet from me !  As I was getting ready to leave a lady pulled up in her Ford mini van & said she noticed my Astro van & she had 2 air filters she bought for her last Astro & asked if I would like to have them . As she passed them to me she asked for "something" to help her out so I found some toonies & loonies plus a half used Timmies card & she was a happy camper .So I didn't catch a fish & came home with 2 new air filters....you never know what story you can tell when going fishing !  

• 3 weeks later...

Got out last night 8pm-midnight and got the big ol 🦨. Fished Lasalle marina in Hamilton harbor. Bait of choice was pineapple pop ups, crushed pineapple boilies in pva mesh and some pineapple sauce.  Guess they didn’t want pineapple last night :)

IMG_3798.jpeg