Digital Fish Scale

Dave

Hi everyone, What is a descent digital fish scale for a non tournament angler that doesn't break..I've fished for years with out really caring but am now some what interested in what kind of weights I'm hitting on Erie......Not looking for the $100 option..

"They" say you get what you pay for ....Maybe all digi's are all made at the same factory in China for about 2 bucks .  My $5 Dollarama scale may not last long so I will carry my older scale as back up . I have no idea how electronic scales work but they seem to be pretty accurate .....except the temperature reading on my scale is not even close .The tape feature is also handy to have ....no flashlight though ......

On 6/17/2023 at 1:56 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I use the black and red Rapala scale not sure what they go for nowadays

My old Ralapa scale lasted almost 10 years . It went through some rough times and kept on tickin .Everything is much more pricy now . I was in C.T. today, looking for a liter of paint for my back steps ....$46 , same as the price for the 6" Rapala fishing knife !  We are being gouged big time .They had an Excaliber weigh scale for $35 ...not a bad a price.

Here's a shot from 2013 at Jordan where we (NFN) had a major cleanup . Paul ( Dr.Feelgood) used my Rapala scale to weigh about 2500 lbs. of garbage collected from the shores of the harbour .That old scale was tough !  

jordan cleanup 2013.JPG

On 6/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Chrisb said:

I picked one up at Dollarama for $5 last week. It was recommended by other members here.

this link is not Dollarama but it is the unit they sell.

https://fishingworld.ca/products/south-bend-electronic-scale

I have that one. It works well enough, and you can't beat the price.

That scale has many different prices depending on where you get it . I checked out how digi fishing scales work ...very interesting and accurate for the size of them .

I think we know what "mark up" means in the retail industry , so I'm not suprised to see an item made in China for $2 sells for $30+ at our stores .

Got a one liter ( 901ml ) can of white paint at H.H. for 'only' $30 , and some were over $50 with the HST added .  Our daily bread & butter are 3x what they should be ....

Check out how these small digi scales work ...amazing technology put into our 'trusty' fish scales !  

....for price comparisons.....

Digi scales.JPG

Thanks for all the responses!! I chose to take Chrisb's and others advice on the South Bend dollar store one which is the same one that Smerch posted from Amazon.ca on the left...I have zero doubt its the same digital scale mechanism that South Bend puts in much more fancier body and sells for $40...Good enough for my retired income right now..Honestly not obsessed with fish weights but am curious if I'm actually hitting 6 pounders on Erie.....I also added an el cheapo bogda grip to it instead of the hook...Can hardly wait to hit Erie and Buckhorn...   

The hook is small on that scale  but it can be changed to a larger one easily .When I test (compare) scales for accuracy, water in a pail will give an accurate weight ....or weigh a lb. of butter or 2 oz. of rye ....ect 

If by chance this scale  quits working after a short time , it's worth less than that lb. of butter !   B)

i'm hoping test it soon,  weighing those 30#+ carp