Son’s First Buck

With a break in action at school my son was able to make it to deer camp in NY this past weekend. Got down on Friday afternoon out in stand by just before 4, it was rainy and misty so not the best conditions, but just before last light two bucks crept out into the cut we were overlooking, a six pointer and eight pointer. Both were in long grass up to their shoulders with some bushes mixed in. The larger of the two was behind the six pointer, as soon as the eight pointer presented a shot he took it. The buck jumped and twisted around and ran off to the right into thick bush. We waited about 20 minutes before getting down. Looked for about 15 minutes for blood but because of the rain couldn’t find any sign whatsoever so started a slow search through the brush after about 45 minutes finally found it in a small stream tucked behind an undercut bank. . The .243 did its job, taking out its heart but still managed to run a good 80 yards or so. To the say the least we were happy to find it!

i shot a small five pointer on Sunday morning to break my season long losing streak. Did a lot of hunting this fall but seeing my son take that 8 pointer was definitely the highlight! 

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

Congrats to you and your son for a successful hunt !!  The deer population seems to thrive well in NY State .

I remember driving through Michigan while heading to Thunder  Bay for our moose hunt and seeing many deer near the highway 

and some that were killed by vehicles .