Red Fox in Town ?

My daughter send this photo taken where she is staying with her mother in St.Catharines . This fence is just across the road from Giant Tiger on Scott St., a very busy area with houses and businesses (beer store). It has been seen before in the area . I live  close to open fields , hydro lines and some bush but never see foxes or yotes here . The fox there must have a good food supply , maybe getting some food from G.T. ?  

Screenshot 2024-02-06 131410.jpg

There's a photo of a coyote with a small dead dog in it's jaws ,taken at NOTL this morning . People are being advised to have a "stick" on hand to ward off an attacking yote . I don't think a stick will deter a yote , better make it a baseball bat , ect . or some sort of spray .  

2 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Rumours of coyote in Grantham/Facer area according to neighbor who walks their small dog around the big block there.

I was told the yotes are feeding on the squirrels in the hoods . Send those yotes here ! They might also like to try cat burgers !

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

There's a photo of a coyote with a small dead dog in it's jaws ,taken at NOTL this morning . People are being advised to have a "stick" on hand to ward off an attacking yote . I don't think a stick will deter a yote , better make it a baseball bat , ect . or some sort of spray .  

There was an Army surplus store in St Catharines on St Paul that sold "dog spray" on a keychain. It's been a while since I lived in the city and I barely go there now so I don't know if that store still exists. I'm sure you can find that spray in other stores though. A girl I used to work with carried it. 

On 2/8/2024 at 5:51 PM, honeyv said:

There was an Army surplus store in St Catharines on St Paul that sold "dog spray" on a keychain. It's been a while since I lived in the city and I barely go there now so I don't know if that store still exists. I'm sure you can find that spray in other stores though. A girl I used to work with carried it. 

Many years ago there was "Jacks Army & Navy" store on St. Paul St. downtown . We bought 'haversacks' and all kinds of stuff . I still have the 10 x 50 Carl Wetzlar binoculars I bought there , made in Japan with very good lenses . His shop was near James St. at about 241 St. Paul .

There are some good wasp sprays that can be detrimental to the eyes and many other sprays that are not kind to our eyes, like vinegar .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Many years ago there was "Jacks Army & Navy" store on St. Paul St. downtown . Then he closed shop and opened a small area in Herzogs in the basement near the end of town near Geneva . 

Thats got to be the one I'm thinking of... It was near the train station end of St Paul 

1 hour ago, honeyv said:

Thats got to be the one I'm thinking of... It was near the train station end of St Paul 

Jack's army surplus store was near James St. on the left going east to Queenston  St. and I believe he moved to the Falls .

The one on St.Paul West is a tiny little shop that isn't always open . It's near Churchill St. and Lloyd St. opposite the train station .It may be the old Gamble Robinson warehouse where we would get some bananas they tossed out , and a machine shop next door where we got our lead they threw out to make sinkers in our clay molds , very crude but they did sink ! This would be about 1956 when I was 13 .

• 3 weeks later...

Your spray may work but the better way is to use an  air horn can.  Those yoters have such acute hearing it really hurts their ears when you make a loud noise. You want to see a coyote jump !  Just use an air horn.

We never had coyotes in our area 30 years ago. Then they just started popping up here and there. The red fox population took a beating. They didnt dare go out into the farming fields. They moved into the residential areas to be safe. Now we are overun by coyotes and I havent came across a jackrabbit track in 15 years. They totally destroyed their population.  

11 hours ago, Darton said:

Caught these baby coyotes on my trail camera which was pointed on my mineral lick pile for deer. Never knew they liked salt as well.

Sure looks like a fine spring day there . Those 'pups' are scrounging for goodies to eat like finding some worms ,bugs or salamanders under the old wood. 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:20 PM, Markster said:

Probably living well on the abundance of north end rats.

The neighbour in the same building dumps pails of seed for the birds. Add a bunch of walnut trees and the squirrels are over abundant here. Easy living for these foxes