Can i start catch and releasing small and large mouth bass in the old Welland Canal NOW?

OWFisher

On 4/1/2024 at 8:08 AM, OWFisher said:

Hey new to the forum. I was just wondering if im allowed to be catch and releasing bass in Niagara, starting now? Or do i have to wait till June?

Thx in advance

Welcome to the forum. 
definitely check the regs. If somebody tells you, you can fish, then MNR catches you and you say oh this guy told me I could that’s not gonna fly with them. 
http://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-fishing-regulations-summary/fisheries-management-zone-16

Let’s see some pics when the season is in

Some of the regs can be a little cloudy . I saw a guy tossing spinner baits and he said he was targeting pike ....sure enough he caught a pike !

The MNR used to check anglers at the back end of Jordan where bass would come to the shallows to spawn and they would tell them to leave .

The American side of the River has different seasons, like our northern waters .

As Mark said get a copy at CT , and I'll ask my local CT as well .

On 4/1/2024 at 8:08 AM, OWFisher said:

Hey new to the forum. I was just wondering if im allowed to be catch and releasing bass in Niagara, starting now? Or do i have to wait till June?

Thx in advance

No. See page 11 fourth point.

On 4/2/2024 at 3:33 PM, smerchly said:

I saw a guy tossing spinner baits and he said he was targeting pike ....sure enough he caught a pike !

I have caught a ton of pike on spinners. They're actually one of my favorite baits to throw for pike. To be fair though, bass will hit almost anything you throw for pike, sometimes it's tough to avoid. Just gotta be super quick with the release if you do get an oos bass.