Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

Snidley , I have to agree with most of your views . I can forsee a lot of trouble including violence if the doughnut queens don't do their jobs . I am not a fan of the cops lately .....they are acting like the gestapo in local cases I know of lately (tasered another guy to death) , so I have become reluctant to call them for anything .....keep my eyes & ears shut & keep fishing ! People will start getting justice their own way ......I can't point the finger at any particular "group" since I have seen only the blew eyed local boys getting stupid drunk & breaking bottles to satisfy their little pea sized brain . Our law penalties are obviously too lax & people are willing to pay a $500 fine . A $2000 fine might change a few minds for a first offence & keep doubling the fin for a next offence etc. I would like to see people caught littering fined heavily & made to do 100 hrs. of cleanup at locations that we fishers use . I know ...I'm dreaming again .....

Stevep.......maybe it would be better to leave the hockey net alone & call the mnr to stake out the area for a night or so to catch them in the act . I'm sure the mnr could use a few thousand loonies to gas up their trucks......

I've heard the guys are tresspassing already ,fishing inside the fence at the hydro dam in Port Dal.......don't know of any arrests made .......

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooooh....I just erased a good post, but I won't say it, it might, no...."will" offend some of our new found brethren that have landed upon our shores.

If you would like a copy....PM me.

I hope I come across paths with some ignorant biatch. ;)

Just to be clear I don't want to sound like I think this is an ethnic or racial thing. The hillbillies at Bronte were, and mostly still are, white guys. At Montsberg you do get lots of ethnics but there's plenty of white guys and I had a fellow who claimed he was an Indian tell me to drop dead because in his world Indians can fish anywhere including a busy CPR train tracks. The universal over there is that the no trespass sign is on the top of the earthworks by the train tracks and the Einstiens claim they are down by the water and therefore completely legal. How they get to the water is never mentioned and needless to say the authorities consider the entire property a no trespass area. I wonder if one of these goobers got hit by a train would they sue? And would this spell an end to fishing anywhewre in Montsberg? I think yes to both questions. I also fished with a pro baseball player on Bronte Creek by the first claybanks and he was from Montana. He was shocked by the amount of garbage and litter in a fishery like Bronte where Salmon, Steelhead, Browns and smallies could be caught in good numbers. To him it was an outrage. He told me that in Montana the fine for littering is $5000 and that would include cig butts and roebag material (if roebags were allowed which I'm betting they are not) and the enforcement was rigid consequently no litter. We need tough laws but we need enforcement of the current laws even more. The cops have a tough job and like people everywhere they seek to make their job easier. In the quest to make their job easier i think we have fallen into a situation where cops have been ceeded almost universal powers unchecked by public oversite. This will always result in abuse and even corruption. That's what we are getting now. One look at and listen to a guy like Craig Brumell and you know things have changed for the worse. Same goes for the chap running the Toronto Transit Union. These boys want to be viewed as thugs and when that becomes leadership you will get crooked cops, abusive cops and a cult like relationship amongst cops that closes ranks around scoundrels on the force no questions asked.This will then spread to all areas of the justice system through fear and intimidation and in my view that's were we are today. Snidley

Guest niagarariverpro
awe don't ya just love "salmon angler season", and the huge soap opera that comes along with the annual idiot migration ;):):lol:

let the games begin..............

I got nothing against immigrants seeing they are here for a reason.. TO BETTER THEMSELVES!!!!!

However.. i do have something against ignorant fishermen that break the fishing laws..

cll the hot line a report a poacher PERIOD

Snidley , I have to agree with most of your views . I can forsee a lot of trouble including violence if the doughnut queens don't do their jobs . I am not a fan of the cops lately .....they are acting like the gestapo in local cases I know of lately (tasered another guy to death) , so I have become reluctant to call them for anything .....keep my eyes & ears shut & keep fishing ! People will start getting justice their own way ......I can't point the finger at any particular "group" since I have seen only the blew eyed local boys getting stupid drunk & breaking bottles to satisfy their little pea sized brain . Our law penalties are obviously too lax & people are willing to pay a $500 fine . A $2000 fine might change a few minds for a first offence & keep doubling the fin for a next offence etc. I would like to see people caught littering fined heavily & made to do 100 hrs. of cleanup at locations that we fishers use . I know ...I'm dreaming again .....

Stevep.......maybe it would be better to leave the hockey net alone & call the mnr to stake out the area for a night or so to catch them in the act . I'm sure the mnr could use a few thousand loonies to gas up their trucks......

I've heard the guys are tresspassing already ,fishing inside the fence at the hydro dam in Port Dal.......don't know of any arrests made .......

I think they got 9 guys the other night at the hydro dam smerch, but they were back at it Wed night.......$90.00 a pop for trespassing. They did a real number on the fence this year, I think it's time for a replacement ;) ....anyway a few more busts and that will take care of the problem for another year, same deal every salmon season. Next the 4-falls will be the target and the cops will get a few grand worth of fines there. I've been fishing a few times down there and I just don't get why dieing salmon turn people into complete idiots, even some seasoned anglers loose there minds trying to latch on to a ole boot salmon! It really is humorous watching people trying desperatly to catch a salmon, they jump right at the dudes feet and after an hour they get fed up, throw the pole in the trunk, leave all piss off and then repeat it the next day :):lol:

QUESTION:

Should I even bother fishing when there is too much waves, chops & winds? causing water to be somewhat murky too?

Been to Credit this morning and damn I hate windy weather, lures won't even run properly in those waves either.

What do you all think ?

Or is there a secret method one should be using on such a ugly condition ?

Do salmons avoid these water conditions too? by going deeper? Would they even bother running up the river ?

I go home in the rough water :):) .........or I fish the harbour, never got anything when the waves are breaking on the piers, however a nice 1' or so chop is really optimum, if the water is dead flat the fish can be tough esspecially if there is a crowd around. The salmons tend to get alittle skittish when it's dead flat but I have got them, just had my best bite with abit of a chop on the water. 3'-4' breakers is time to go back to bed ;)

When i fish out of my kickboat at Bronte I can go out in rougher water than regular powerboats (I'm like a cork on the water, lol) and i do get fish in these conditions but there's rough water that even I retreat from. Last year in one of those super rough situations i went to fishing the inner harbour and got a few fish only to discover that the guys on the end of the pier slayed them on Lymans cast out into the rough pier slamin' seas. So there's a suggestion. Try Lymans when it's really rough (and when it's super calm too!). Lymans do work from shore so I imagine J Plugs would work too. Snidley

When i fish out of my kickboat at Bronte I can go out in rougher water than regular powerboats (I'm like a cork on the water, lol) and i do get fish in these conditions but there's rough water that even I retreat from. Last year in one of those super rough situations i went to fishing the inner harbour and got a few fish only to discover that the guys on the end of the pier slayed them on Lymans cast out into the rough pier slamin' seas. So there's a suggestion. Try Lymans when it's really rough (and when it's super calm too!). Lymans do work from shore so I imagine J Plugs would work too. Snidley

can you post a picture of your kickboat? i would love to see some pictures.

i guess this thread is coming to an end. because now we know it's to too early anymore.

Heh, Dalhousie still hasn't had the main run come in yet, and the way this season is going the Niagara will have fresh fish into November!

The big rain coming will probably be the last hurrah for Credit & Bronte.

So no, it's not early to ask if it's early to ask if it's late..............or something like that.

Heh, Dalhousie still hasn't had the main run come in yet, and the way this season is going the Niagara will have fresh fish into November!

So no, it's not early to ask if it's early to ask if it's late..............or something like that.

Where will you be fishing after a big rain fall than? (credit/bronte).

Will you be driving all the way down to Dalhusie/Whirlpool ?

OR Steelhead fishing from the pier?

The main run might be in, it looks like a grim year for chinny returns ;):lol:

The main run might be in, it looks like a grim year for chinny returns :(:(

That would be pretty sad if it's true. I've had one good night there, and half a dozen blanks. It's a tough place to figure out, always preferred going elsewhere but there's no fish anywhere else!

Dunno where I'm going this weekend, depends on the wind.

heres a hint for this weekend....

niagara river... glen....

Should've listened.......I've just about lost the will to pick up a rod anymore.

That pretty much describes my last two nights @ Bronte.

Might hit Dalhousie tonight, but it probably blows chunks there too.........

QUESTION:

Do(should) spoon lures swim with colored size up? or down?

Should I be retrieving it so that the spoon just~ darts side to side without twisting/rolling ?

Would the action of the spoon be different for keeping the rod higher vs lower (like 99% people do) ?

Finally, do salmon love body jerk lures like Rapala Husky Jerk & X-Raps? But not steady retrieve but jerk, jerk, pause technique?

Sorry the Salmon fishing aint that great this year men :lol: I tried my luck down there in the middle of August and got skunked maybe I was early but I been stayin home and fishing ofcourse Pike on Lake Simcoe i.e Cook's Bay and I been slammin big Pike for a couple of weeks now out of my kayak what a fight scored an averag 34 incher yesturday, lost one well over that on Monday broke my spinner in half, other then the war zone in the bay for the duckies its not busy at all...good luck

I never had much luck with erratic retrieves or jigging.

They'll smash body baits, sometimes more than spoons, but the problem from shore is getting those baits down to where the fish are. Some guys have tricks like soaking older wood J-13's in a bucket of water over night so they'll get waterlogged & dive deeper. I've done pretty good some nights counting down Canadian Wigglers & Rattle Spots.

It's even worth throwing smaller deep diving bass lures some days. I've had good days on Wally Divers, Big-O's et al, when they weren't hitting anything else.

QUESTION:

Do(should) spoon lures swim with colored size up? or down?

Should I be retrieving it so that the spoon just~ darts side to side without twisting/rolling ?

Would the action of the spoon be different for keeping the rod higher vs lower (like 99% people do) ?

Finally, do salmon love body jerk lures like Rapala Husky Jerk & X-Raps? But not steady retrieve but jerk, jerk, pause technique?

spoons dart side to side so the coloured side is either left or right not up or down it dosn't matter

Spoon retrieve should be side to side not twisting or rolling if this hapening your retrieving to fast

Body baits work great, most with a wobble action, Wiggle warts, canadian wigglers, kwikfish, hot'n tots, jointed rapalas ect Slow steady retrieve works best ! with one exception when fishing currrent jigging a light flutter type spoon( NK's , stingers)or with a body bait letting the bait work in the current with little or no retrieve. :lol::lol:

I never had much luck with erratic retrieves or jigging.

They'll smash body baits, sometimes more than spoons, but the problem from shore is getting those baits down to where the fish are. Some guys have tricks like soaking older wood J-13's in a bucket of water over night so they'll get waterlogged & dive deeper. I've done pretty good some nights counting down Canadian Wigglers & Rattle Spots.

It's even worth throwing smaller deep diving bass lures some days. I've had good days on Wally Divers, Big-O's et al, when they weren't hitting anything else.

I've had better luck adding a few bigger split shots 12"-18" above the lure to get down some of the shallow running cranks

bronte was fine today lots of spawning fish around maybe 25-30 pairs on the beds and a few browns to boot, one big male brown had a green spinner and a orange roe bag hanging off it's back. maybe this rain we will be getting might bring in an early run of bows and i can try out the new rod and the snaggers will stay home if it is too cold and raining. i hear ya about mountsberg i live 5 mins from there and i go there and fish often but the ppl and the messy area might keep me away and i just might drive the distance and fish the grand in caledonia more often.

If you are fishing from the pier and want to get a Rapala J11 or J13 down just remove the belly hook and attach a small bell sinker. Gets them down (and out) and this late in the season the salmon virtually all become nippers that bite the tail hook not the belly hook. A great salmon Bass lure is a Bass Pro Shops Balsa Boogie. Big lure that looks similar to a Big O or Fat Rap. But number one crankbait for me if I had to fish off the pier (and I was on a budget) would be a bass Pro Shops Nitro Minnow in the 4' suspending version. They cast a mile and they work as well as the $20 Japanese cranks and sticks I use in my kickboat. Around Bronte I find that the Ghost Minnow, Olive Shad , Silver shad work best. They also have a Purple Tiger that I don't have that would have some application at dawn or in stained water. All in all fishing off the pier, in a kickboat or even out deeper in a troller has been abysmal this year. I've been out over 20 times and I have caught less fish in all those outings than I did on my best day last season. High water in the river, East winds and the consequent high water temps, generally less fish staging and zero Coho/Steelhead has resulted in a (less than)perfect storm of low numbers and stinky skunks for me. I'm trying again tomorrow but I'm not holding out much hope and I will not venture upriver to fish with the hillbillies ripping Chinnooks in the stream. Even blanked at the Whirlpool. It was running clockwise even after 8:10am. What's up with that?Snidley

Archived