Carp Appreciation

steeler

Considering carp have gotten some flack around here, and in honor of the 64lb benson that just passed away (lol it made international news...madness lol) post up some nice carp you've caught this season.

heres a few of mine:

SSPX0137.jpg

SSPX0140.jpg

SSPX0118.jpg <--one of my favorite catches this year, spooled me, for it's size it fought like a tank.

SSPX0122.jpg <--had a little crowd for this one, was another great scrapper.

Anyway, post up your catches. :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some real beauties, i gotta fish the niagra region soon, looks like theres great fishing there.

I also got some goldfish (non colored) and those wierd goldfish/carp hybrids.

but yea, real beauties there.

Those are some real beauties, i gotta fish the niagra region soon, looks like theres great fishing there.

I also got some goldfish (non colored) and those wierd goldfish/carp hybrids.

but yea, real beauties there.

Thanks I have know a pond where theres hardly any carp but TONS of goldfish

heres a non colored goldfish

IMG_2106.jpg

yea, thats one of those hybrids. heres one of mine that i caught:

SSPX0116.jpg

and heres a proper goldfish (or i have suspicions that it might be a crucian but, the pic sucks.)

here it is: SSPX0117.jpg <----it had only one eye :D

if you catch one of those fish you think will be a rare find take a picture of it like i did with my goldfish!

it does look like a crucian though

Yea i know, but stupid me NEVER remembers to bring the digi cam, so im stuck using my phone as my camera.

But yea, i wish i got better pics of it, cuz it does look like a crucian. AH well.

Here is my PB carp from 6 years ago (I looked even shorter and funnier because I was crouching).

scan0001.jpg

Here is another couple nice carp.

2ndwellandcanalMay31020.jpg

I look like I am in a coma in this pic. And I couldn't close my mouth because I had gotten my braces tightened and my mouth hurt.

2ndwellandcanalMay31022.jpg

after years of casting flies at the giant goldfish in the harbour my son finally landed this fella-he charged the fly repeatedly before finally taking it but fought like a wet dishrag after being hooked. thing was built like a football. a football with a really tiny pinhead attached, that is.

tastes like chicken! <_<

09Jun23aGoldfish8.jpg

09Jun23aGoldfish10.jpg

Beauty goldfish there dude!

I must add a few more:

SSPX0141.jpg

SSPX0110.jpg

SSPX0105.jpg

After being a bass angler basically all my life, and hooking into my first carp ever, this season, i was INSTANTLY addicted. These fish are absolute brutes, they fight like utter champs, and thats all i fish for now. I make my own boilies, method mix etc, i've got the bug big time. THESE ARE NOT TRASH FISH!! <_<

Carp - The worlds GREATEST SPORT Fish. :lol:

How about

DSCN2431.jpg

DSCN2003.jpg

They are a great sportfish. I thoroughly enjoy fishing most species. Have to admit that smallies are like sticks of dynamite. Nothing explodes on the water quite the way they do.

Those hybrids your talking about are bigmouth buffalo and they're a native fish. Looked like one cruisian also.

IMG_2106.jpg

There's a good reason not to have carp derbies that catch and kill. Improper identification kills native fish like the sculpin gets mistaken for a goby.

Sorry Arc, you caught a goldfish carp crossbreed. Buffalo fish have a solid dark eye, a stiiff forked tail and smaller scales. Big mouth buffalo are filter feeders and are very rarely caught on a hook. Here's a picture of a carp/goldfish crossbreed caught by a young man in Southern California. Looks a lot like yours.

pict0009abo7.jpg

KF. The carp is called the worlds greatest sport fish because of a number of factors. Not just the fight which carp do very well. The numbers of anglers pursueing carp drawfs anything we have here in N. America. The size , up to 90 lbs. Carp are spread right around the planet on most of the continents, N. America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. Smallies while a great fish, don't even come close.

Here's a Niagara River 30

Niagara003Small.jpg

I'm no fish species expert Ark. There's a perfect example of misidentifcation for ya. See how easy it is? We do however have plenty of buffalo here and I have only ever hooked one. A smallmouth actually.

Archived