Carp Appreciation

steeler

Ive been saying The human population has ruined the water in some areas so Only carp can survive in it Look Jellyfish and Dead zones in oceans to get an idea of what im talking about!

Same thing applies to carp in fresh water

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive been saying The human population has ruined the water in some areas so Only carp can survive in it Look Jellyfish and Dead zones in oceans to get an idea of what im talking about!

Same thing applies to carp in fresh water

I agree. the ocean has gotten that bad that some species of jellyfish have adapted to living in fresh water. I wonder how long it'll take em to figure out the fresh water is screwed too? LOL

B) Very well said, Hammercarp.....We have to be respectful, of each other's opinions...Everyone is entitled to their point of view, on a variety of subjects.....I have really come to appreciate carp fishing, this year..................It's been a lot of fun, and my son and I, have landed some nice ones..............

vxc2gz.jpg

Perhaps we should all be a little more thankful for the fishery we have. We can walk out our doors and go a very short distance to find great fishing opportunities at our doorsteps. As a multi specie angler I fish em all from smelts to nooks and everything in between. Each species has its merits and challenges. Get out and go fishing already.

Perhaps we should all be a little more thankful for the fishery we have. We can walk out our doors and go a very short distance to find great fishing opportunities at our doorsteps. As a multi specie angler I fish em all from smelts to nooks and everything in between. Each species has its merits and challenges. Get out and go fishing already.

we all do it for the same reasons "The Joy of Angling" nothing beats a day sitting around the water catching Carp or chucking spoons off a pier in hopes of catching a 30+ lbs Salmon and thats that. Whether your catching a 3" sunfish, 40" Musky, or a 20lbs carp the end results are all the same " A smile on your face and a day you can remember for quite some time"

As I put in a previous post, but coming from me doesn't mean anything.......

Even carp anglers have different reasons why they fish carp. Some will bait a spot ( we call it a swim ) and get there early in the morning and when they hear huge fish crashing ( what you call jumping or rolling) in their swim they are in nirvana. Some of us live for the sound of our bite alarm screaming( yes we have electronic alarms) Others feel a rush of adrenalin when they lift ( we lift not strike) on a big fish and feel the power as it surges against the line. Still others wait for that moment when they get a first glimpse of the fish. How big is it? Wow it's got length and big shoulders on it. Is it a mirror? There are a lot of reasons why we pursue old leather lips and they are just as valid as a bass or musky anglers reasons. :D

Even carp anglers have different reasons why they fish carp. Some will bait a spot ( we call it a swim ) and get there early in the morning and when they hear huge fish crashing ( what you call jumping or rolling) in their swim they are in nirvana. Some of us live for the sound of our bite alarm screaming( yes we have electronic alarms) Others feel a rush of adrenalin when they lift ( we lift not strike) on a big fish and feel the power as it surges against the line. Still others wait for that moment when they get a first glimpse of the fish. How big is it? Wow it's got length and big shoulders on it. Is it a mirror? There are a lot of reasons why we pursue old leather lips and they are just as valid as a bass or musky anglers reasons. :D

I love it when the fish is hugging bottom and running like hell! Can you see it?? What is it?? Holy Carp its gotta be huge!!!! I want to go out carping now :P

Here's something to appreciate. Koi which are highly prized ornamental fish are just common carp the have been bred for their colour. The most ever paid for one koi carp was 92,000 pounds or about 200,000 canadian dollars.

you should see some of the prices that the english elite pay, just to fish for the carp in private waters, errr, excuse me, swims.

$$$$$

The word you are looking for there is venue. A venue would be a body of water and the surrounding land. A swim is a section of that body of water that the angler is actually fishing. We would call a swim a spot.

Good thing for you, you weren't born in the eighteen hundreds. :lol: They do say people were made of a lot sterner stuff back then. :D

Back then there were no food banks and no social 'safety net'. Sportfishing was not even a concept. It was strictly meat hunting.

Hi Guys and gals :D

I think this video is a great introduction to modern carping. It shows more sophisticated and advanced tackle, tactics and baits many dedicated carpers use today. We all know that sometimes one can put some canned corn on a hook and float and catch but I really enjoyed this and want to share it with those interested in targeting carp or if you are already maybe take it to the next level and possibly increase your catch rate . Enjoy!

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/video/video.php...tb40k5Xdyr2h8Gu

The University of Minnesota's carp removal put Lake Susan in the clear, now the green.

By LAURIE BLAKE, Star Tribune

Last update: August 27, 2009 - 7:45

Researchers experimenting with cleaning up area lakes by removing carp were thrilled this summer with their success at Chanhassen's Lake Susan -- until they began to see a surprising side-effect:

The water had become so clear that the sunlight passed through it and warmed the lake bottom, igniting an algae bloom that turned the water pea green.

Congradulations! They turned a lake into pea soup!

hi Hairwig..........just wondering what you were using for bait. I've tried corn and my own home made boilies in that location and still skunked thus far. makes me think I'm doing something wrong when I see pics of others catching fish there. hmmmmmmmmmmm. :P

The University of Minnesota's carp removal put Lake Susan in the clear, now the green.

By LAURIE BLAKE, Star Tribune

Last update: August 27, 2009 - 7:45

Researchers experimenting with cleaning up area lakes by removing carp were thrilled this summer with their success at Chanhassen's Lake Susan -- until they began to see a surprising side-effect:

The water had become so clear that the sunlight passed through it and warmed the lake bottom, igniting an algae bloom that turned the water pea green.

Congradulations! They turned a lake into pea soup!

Another thing carp are good for!!!

hi Hairwig..........just wondering what you were using for bait. I've tried corn and my own home made boilies in that location and still skunked thus far. makes me think I'm doing something wrong when I see pics of others catching fish there. hmmmmmmmmmmm. :dunno:

I can't see your actual bait being an issue if you've used 'typical baits' for carp. I'm thinking the difference for me might be a few different factors? I used a slingshot to fire a few handfuls of corn where I cast my line. The bait I used was flavoured with Vanilla to increase the attracting factor ( they smell it from downstream) Not that it's always the best choice of tackle- I used a hairrig with a heavy bolt rig (weight) The corn I choose was soaked in the vanilla for a long time which also helped to attract the fish. I also used 'egg layer'. Egg Layer or chicken feed is a high protein, granular, particle food used to feed chickens on farms. You can add any flavours or ingredients you choose such as birdseed, honey, koolaid canned corn etc.... Just make sure there is enough liquid to make it moist enough to mould into balls so you can throw/ slingshot out around your bait. Again, A really effective method of getting them to find your hook bait.

I also think the carp were feeding aggressively during my time there. I have fished the pond and countless other places with similar baits and tactics and caught nothing? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is you will increase your chances at more fish if you can attract them to your actual bait on your hook. Well, that and a little luck won't hurt. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions shoot em by and I will try to help. :)

I can't see your actual bait being an issue if you've used 'typical baits' for carp. I'm thinking the difference for me might be a few different factors? I used a slingshot to fire a few handfuls of corn where I cast my line. The bait I used was flavoured with Vanilla to increase the attracting factor ( they smell it from downstream) Not that it's always the best choice of tackle- I used a hairrig with a heavy bolt rig (weight) The corn I choose was soaked in the vanilla for a long time which also helped to attract the fish. I also used 'egg layer'. Egg Layer or chicken feed is a high protein, granular, particle food used to feed chickens on farms. You can add any flavours or ingredients you choose such as birdseed, honey, koolaid canned corn etc.... Just make sure there is enough liquid to make it moist enough to mould into balls so you can throw/ slingshot out around your bait. Again, A really effective method of getting them to find your hook bait.

I also think the carp were feeding aggressively during my time there. I have fished the pond and countless other places with similar baits and tactics and caught nothing? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is you will increase your chances at more fish if you can attract them to your actual bait on your hook. Well, that and a little luck won't hurt. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions shoot em by and I will try to help. B)

thanks Hairwig, I will give that a shot. the vanilla thing sounds interesting and I've seen that as one of the ingredients used in home made boilies, on other sites. I will soak some corn in vanilla before I go out next time. wondering if there's somehow I can get some of that vanilla onto the boilies I've already made? or, the next batch I make, will be corn syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. last time, I cast my lone out with a boilie and threw about 8 or so around the spot I cast and that didn't seem to help. worth another attempt though, for sure. thanks for your help.

Rich

thanks Hairwig, I will give that a shot. the vanilla thing sounds interesting and I've seen that as one of the ingredients used in home made boilies, on other sites. I will soak some corn in vanilla before I go out next time. wondering if there's somehow I can get some of that vanilla onto the boilies I've already made? or, the next batch I make, will be corn syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. last time, I cast my lone out with a boilie and threw about 8 or so around the spot I cast and that didn't seem to help. worth another attempt though, for sure. thanks for your help.

Rich

Make sure you keep the corn soaked over night

You can dip your boilies but you cant soak them in vanila I dont know how much of an effect this will have though.

Has anyone thought of adding sweetend cocconut to their boilies??

What about lemon or lime?

Make sure you keep the corn soaked over night

You can dip your boilies but you cant soak them in vanila I dont know how much of an effect this will have though.

Has anyone thought of adding sweetend cocconut to their boilies??

What about lemon or lime?

B) Ark. Just about every sweet fruit flavour has been tried in boilies. Pineapple seems to be the most popular right now.

Archived