Carp Appreciation

steeler

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a segment on the CH News at 6 today about a huge 30 k carp named Benson which has become quite popular over the years in England . This huge animal has been caught over & over again many times which became news with many different people posing with Mr.Benson .I guess that would be the equivalent to a 60 lb.ski caught in Ontario ! :blink:

I took a few shots direct from the TV so the quality is poor , but you will "get the picture"

btw....poor Mr.Benson was fed something nasty & may he rest in pieces ......(no not really) :lol:

Benson.jpg

63 times i recall Bill and man what a fish i think it was raw tiger nuts or something around there dont know for sure they found a batch of raw tiger nuts near the bank were they found Benson its next door neighbor The Creature which was a 64lb mirror carp was found dead a short while later.... :lol: i wonder how Benson's brother Hedges is doing......... and thats actually true the pair were called Benson and Hedges after the cigarette company. the fishery was called Bluebell lakes and Benson was found in Kingfisher Lake while the The Creature was found in Swan Lake.... I wonder how Two-Tone is in Conningbrook and Mid kent fisheries is....

RIP Benson and The Creature

31-07-08_1415.jpg

this one is a mirror i pulled out of martindale pond

31-07-08_1553.jpg

P7050367.jpg

P7040365.jpg

P6270346.jpg

P6230339.jpg

P6230340.jpg

P6230341.jpg

P6230342.jpg

this is what i caught...... :worthy:

bigcarp1.jpg

i thought that this was a goldfish but doing more research on carp found out it could be a prussian carp....

P6130306.jpg

P5240285.jpg

24-06-08_1321.jpg

25-06-08_1317.jpg

this is me fishing in europe ...... :lol:

carprodsetup.jpg

see last pic from above photo to see what i caught :worthy:

Today's news flash.......An autopsy on Benson revealed he died from lung cancer ........koff . :lol:

His son , Ben , has kicked the habit and we should expect a 100 lb. mammoth in about 10 years , depending on how many Timmies blueberry doughnuts he is awarded , unless of course , he doesn't have a heart attack . :worthy:

Thanks for the additional info Joey .......I was too busy trying to get a tube picture & multi tasking is a thing of the past !

( unless I have a fishing pole in my hand !!!!!....................................... :dunno: . )

Asian carp is a generic term for different fish, the silver carp, the bighead carp, grass carp ( white amur ) and black carp ( black amur ) . This fish are completely different from the common carp.

The ones that are causing the most concern are the big head and the silver carp. They are filter feeders that siphon their food from the water. Their population has exploded in a few years and spread up the Mississippi valley right to the city of Chicago. Live bait anglers are a major problem in spreading these fish because their fry are easily msitaken for types of common baitfish used in the states.

The problem may be solving itself. They have over populated in some areas to the extent that they are starving to death. Also they are supposed to taste very good and because they feed from the low end of the food web they don't accumulate toxins like the big preditor fish do.

They are very difficult to catch with hook and line except by snagging.

Asian carp is a generic term for different fish, the silver carp, the bighead carp, grass carp ( white amur ) and black carp ( black amur ) . This fish are completely different from the common carp.

The ones that are causing the most concern are the big head and the silver carp. They are filter feeders that siphon their food from the water. Their population has exploded in a few years and spread up the Mississippi valley right to the city of Chicago. Live bait anglers are a major problem in spreading these fish because their fry are easily msitaken for types of common baitfish used in the states.

The problem may be solving itself. They have over populated in some areas to the extent that they are starving to death. Also they are supposed to taste very good and because they feed from the low end of the food web they don't accumulate toxins like the big preditor fish do.

They are very difficult to catch with hook and line except by snagging.

The city of Chicago has a huge responsibility keeping these fish out of the great lakes.

I hope the electrical barrier currently in use has a back up generator in case of a major

power failure.

Me too. I hope the guy that has to put change in the electric barrier doesn't forget to keep it topped up as that would be trouble. :Gonefishing::D

Of course you realize that if they do get through, it will make carp fishing from a canoe or tinny alot easier.

That's according to some of the videos I have seen of this fish. Apparently they love to jump, right in the boat

in some cases ;)

Of course I would not want to be on a jet ski or water skiing and get one of these fish flying towards me :)

Of course you realize that if they do get through, it will make carp fishing from a canoe or tinny alot easier.

That's according to some of the videos I have seen of this fish. Apparently they love to jump, right in the boat

in some cases ;)

Of course I would not want to be on a jet ski or water skiing and get one of these fish flying towards me :Gonefishing:

KF/ I too, have seen the videos of the big head 'carp' and silver 'carp'.They are a threat to the environment and to ones head if you happen to be in the way when silver carp hits you! :) . The common and mirror carp are a different story. We obviously don't agree on some things but I just want to add I was only kidding about the electric barrier :D.

Here's another benifit from the carp. Carp are responsible for more rods and reels going into the drink than any other fish. This is why carp anglers use baitrunner reels. This lost rod and reel needs to be replaced so the takle shops benifit. Sometimes the outfit is recovered as in the case of Ninepointer's post. Here we have the carp allowing a guy to show his true nature and another guy ( Bigugly ) praising him for it. And so we have a little bit of peace and fellow ship added to our community. :worthy: Curtesy of a big ol carp.

I figure i must add another post to this fine thread, if i do say so myself. :P

I love carps, never before in my life have i weathered the elements (albeit it just rain lol) to go fishing. I've become so immersed in this sport, and its incredible. I dont drive, and my swims are not accessible by walking, so i have to take public transit, another first for me and fishing!

Also, my mom gets on my case about the 1000's of boilies i make, constantly using her flour, vanilla, and other sweetners and additives. I love carp fishing. To me, specially off shore, there really is no better fishing. I was never a fan of firing out rappalas or spinners, and i hated those damn minnows!

Carps are big, burly, and strong, and when you hook into one, they will put everything you got, tacklewise to the test. My bass rod just wasnt cutting it, i was glad my dad had a stronger rhino rod, so i could somewhat better handle these fish. (although, they routinely beat me up....still)

But yea, carp fishing is great, and i dont ever in the foreseeable future, ever getting bored of it, although making boilies is starting to get on my nerves.

-Paul, a carp addict

You know the way things are going, if I owned a quarry, I'd stock it with a mishmash of carp species and charge admission to fish it. It's a renewable resource let alone everyone CPR's carp anyway. Perhaps sherkston should have stocked carp instead of speckle and brown trout.

Here's a photo page with many different types of carp.

http://www.ockleyanglingsociety.org.uk/PHOTOS/photos.html

You know the way things are going, if I owned a quarry, I'd stock it with a mishmash of carp species and charge admission to fish it. It's a renewable resource let alone everyone CPR's carp anyway. Perhaps sherkston should have stocked carp instead of speckle and brown trout.

Here's a photo page with many different types of carp.

http://www.ockleyanglingsociety.org.uk/PHOTOS/photos.html

i have heard of this pond but were is it can you pm me directions or a map

Perhaps some carp up in Glenridge naturalization pond - seems to have only cats and rock bass. I'm sure the carp woudl love it up there!

and get really big

Problem with the naturalization pond is some dummy would surely take some home for his own pond. Then they get in the local waters all over again. You'd need a strict no live bait/no bucket/CPR policy.

Joey it was just an idea, there is no real pond/quarry like that around here.

just wondering if there are any issues with fishing the naturalization park on St.Davids, or is anyone allowed to go at anytime(while open of course). :lol:

also, has anyone ever thought of fishing the pond at Kurtz orchards? LMAO. you'de be yankin em out like crazy......catch and release of course. hahaha

Archived