Carp Appreciation

steeler

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like to keep myself open to different species of fish cause i would get bored fishing for the same thing over and over again i still fish for carp 90% of the year though

i agree with mazz ice fishing for carp would be pointless since they are a warm water fish and there fighting abilities will suck, thats why i fish for perch and pike through the ice since they actually fight through the ice, when warm water comes then im all carp most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Where are the best spots to catch goldfish? I never knew they got soooooo big!

I seem to hear of more goldfish coming out of places on the great lakes particularly lake erie and lake ontario. This is probably because in the states they are a common bait more for flatheads and other catfish. By out of the lakes I am meaning harbours and inlets off the lakes. Like mashes and marinas.

I seem to hear of more goldfish coming out of places on the great lakes particularly lake erie and lake ontario. This is probably because in the states they are a common bait more for flatheads and other catfish. By out of the lakes I am meaning harbours and inlets off the lakes. Like mashes and marinas.

Erik I beleive there are less goldfish in the wild than there used to be. During the 60's and 70's there were thousands of them in Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario around Hamilton.

We saw gold fish ,we called them golden carp, at Martindale pond at Rennie Park way back in the fifties . We saw them & moon eyes through the ice in the winter . I still have a mounted goldie from those days , taken from Niagara on the Lake.....huge fins on this goldie !

We saw gold fish ,we called them golden carp, at Martindale pond at Rennie Park way back in the fifties . We saw them & moon eyes through the ice in the winter . I still have a mounted goldie from those days , taken from Niagara on the Lake.....huge fins on this goldie !

sorry bout getting off topic but... smerchly have you seen any mooneye in the region in recent years? i've seen them on the grand but thats it..

sorry bout getting off topic but... smerchly have you seen any mooneye in the region in recent years? i've seen them on the grand but thats it..

This is another fish that I would like to catch I have hear of them in arnprior at the dam there as well as the grand. (sorry for going off topic as well)

Erik I beleive there are less goldfish in the wild than there used to be. During the 60's and 70's there were thousands of them in Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario around Hamilton.

In an effort to draw conversation back to the original off-topic topic here is exhibit A - straight out of Hammy Harbour this spring. They are usually very skittish (who wouldn't be if they were bright orange in a camo world?) but this dude was uncharacteristically aggressive and massive but then only put up a very disappointing 5 second fight.

09Jun23aGoldfishCloseUp-1.jpg

There's no other fish in these parts that has the bright orange-red ! Other fish like bass can change colour to suit the environment to help them either catch other fish or to help hide themselves from preditors , not so with see fish that can be spotted a mile away ! I don't know if that is detrimental to their survival or not.....

to spottedgarr ......haven't seen mooneyes in years , only gizzard shads . But they seem to thrive in the popular carp waters in the area from what I've read . Go carping .....& keep an eye.... :worthy:

wow alot of the comments on that video are extremly racist and ethnocentric ( too judge a culutre on ones own values ) that looks tasty regardless if its alive or not

• 1 month later...

First Carp of the yearEvery new years our angling club holds a fishing event called the FFF ( the First Fishing Follie ). It's held to see who can catch the first carp of the year. Of course people being what they are, in order to have a chance at winning the event you have to set up before 12 am Jan. 1 2010. So this year over a hundred dedicated carp anglers from all over north america ( from Canada right down to Mexico ) and this year including two guys in Spain all headed out into the frozen night in search of some gold. I reached my chosen spot just before 11pm last night and set up.FFFsetup.jpgI had my bait in the water a short while when I had my first take but I failed to hook up with the fish. I waited 5 minutes then rebaited. After about 15 minutes my Abu reel sounded off and I set the hook. Fish on!. Here's a picture of a dark gold little beauty.FirstFFFfish.jpgA while later I landed a second fish.2ndFFFfish.jpgThis was turning into a good night. Soon the rain stopped and it became very still. The only thing I heard was the odd mallard sounding off. I assume they get frightened by something and give off an alarm call. Well into the night the wind came up and the temperature started to drop. Rather than set up my shelter and propane heater I decided to pack it in. Everything was wet from the drizzle and I did not want to hang around and have it all freeze. So I went back to the vehicle and I was surprised that it was just before 5am. I headed home and off to bed.I am reading reports now from anglers that fished in Tennesee and Chicago Illinois. I can't wait to read how the others did.

Now , that looks real cozy ! :D . I think you guys are more devoted to your sport than the pinners ! :) (I'm going to get some flack now !) :P . Good on ya Hammer , nice fish !

That could be fun using a centre pin ........ B)

Archived