Martindale Ice

sooner

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the person who found the piece of bar from my hut that was lost a few days ago on Martindale and stuck it in the tree on shore... HUGE thank you!! :worthy:

Was out this afternoon at front end lots of ice not a lot of fish, bg thanks to guy who gave me a thermos of minnows

Was out this afternoon at front end lots of ice not a lot of fish, bg thanks to guy who gave me a thermos of minnows

Looks like the thermos wasn't hot enough Joey ........I'll be going to Rennie Mon.morn . (tomorrow) & will give the carp a shot . Got my gear & bait ready to go & will try around the corner on the next bay from Rennie Park Bay . I'll take my little hut & yes , I'll have a thermos full of coffee. B)

Got out this morning... Ice is still solid! It was a slow bite but I got into some fish. I definitely had to work to find em... Just kept hopping around with the Vexilar like a nut until I marked. Anyway, 1 perch, and two bluegill... Gave the perch away to a couple of guys fishing beside me since my freezer is still full from my last visit to Simcoe.

I set up the hut, but I was barely in it because the weather was great.

I was out there with Joey, almost lost my perch rod to a nice pike, pulled right down the hole, luckily we had used some exsisting holes that were smaller and the rod got lodged in the hole, fought it for a little bit but eventually broke my 4 lb test at the hole. I was jigging with my pike setup in the hole next to it, but they always seem to hit the perch rods.

I was out there with Joey, almost lost my perch rod to a nice pike, pulled right down the hole, luckily we had used some exsisting holes that were smaller and the rod got lodged in the hole, fought it for a little bit but eventually broke my 4 lb test at the hole. I was jigging with my pike setup in the hole next to it, but they always seem to hit the perch rods.

Lol..we lost a rod to a laker at Lake Joe on Saturday. Heart really starts pounding when you see that stand tip over. Glad you were able to get yours back.

i was out a rennie sunday morning for a little bit. moved around a few times. no luck. lots of fishies on the finder. It was only my second time out there, so i pretty much wanted to explore some different depths and see what i could find. I was about 14ft. going to try some shallower spots and look for some friendly pike. All in all a nice relaxing morning.

Were you guys out by the green ribbob trail or Rennie park? I drove by Rennie in the afternoon on the way to Port D and did not see anyone! Thinkin about heading out tomorrow for some ice fishin!!!

I was there ,just around the point on the right side , trying for carp , to no avail . It's a deeper bay ,even close to shore between the fallen trees is over 8' . I tried at different depths up to 12' but not a sniff . I tried for pannies for an hour with the light rod & not a fish to be had .....doesn't seem to be a fish in there , unless there's some pike cruising the area .

8 fow close to shore.....

SAM_2428.JPG

carp set up ......chipped out two 6" holes to make larger holes.....just in case...... :bb2:

SAM_2414.JPG

Smerch's sugar shack

SAM_2415.JPG

When I left I gathered some branches to stick around those large 12" & 8" holes to alert others to them , something I was taught to do over 50 yrs ago.

Lol..we lost a rod to a laker at Lake Joe on Saturday. Heart really starts pounding when you see that stand tip over. Glad you were able to get yours back.

NA, did you make it to that tackle shop I sent you??

Martindale is very spot specific for ice fishing, like anywhere.

This is where leg work and time in counts. Keep a journal, dissect the water a section at a time and you will discover a honey hole.

Pieces of the puzzle will explain why the fish are there.

agree with you 110%!

So I spent the morning 8:00am - 2:00pm ice fishing martindale pond by the announcers booth the Ice was was 8inches thick in some spots and around 6 in others. There were some guys playing ice hockey and skating out in the middle so I would assume it to be safe out there for anyone wanting to fish. The bite was slow tho. I myself caught nothing and my buddy a single sunfish. better than nothing lol. there were a total of 5 people out there and tho I left before everyone else I only saw a total of maybe 4 or 5 perch caught. I took some really great pictures of the ice conditions as well as everyone fishing however I havnt figured out how to upload them yet lol. hopefully I can figure it out before too long. as well The ice seemed to be melting very fast due to this great wheather we have had today. to any of you guys going out there I hope you have better luck than I did,(although anytime spent outdoors is a good one for me) CHEERS!!!!

Chris

glad to hear you still had fun, one warning though, since your saying the ice is melting from the warm weather, anyone going out must take extra caution getting on and off the ice, shore ice is first to get thin and sometimes looks deceiving, so be careful please!

Cool pix! The first one is a great shot of me in the background sittin down!!! Caught a small perch and a good size pike snapped my line after u guys left :wacko:

Haha thats cool glad you caught something!!!! I would have loved for a pike to snap my line :D Havnt felt A fish in a while lol!!!

CHEERS

chris

Archived