Port D

Backwoods

Hey guys. Just looking on some info on what effects the water clairety at Port D. I'm not sure if it's fed by Lake Erie. So wind would bugger it up or if rain does. Has the flow been good this year or is is still touch and go.

Thanks and if ur out fishing this week wear lead in your boots to hold ya down.

Hey guys. Just looking on some info on what effects the water clairety at Port D. I'm not sure if it's fed by Lake Erie. So wind would bugger it up or if rain does. Has the flow been good this year or is is still touch and go.

Thanks and if ur out fishing this week wear lead in your boots to hold ya down.

Rain definitely makes port muddy, wind wise, I only notice a big difference in clarity when its prolong strong north winds pushing against the current, not sure about other directions. Hope that helps

Port Dal. is mostly L.Erie water , coming through the canal system . When Erie muds up it can effect Port D. There is also the upper 12 Mile (Short Hills) and the small tribs that gets muddy after heavy rain . That system meets the 12 at the lower Decew hydro plant . There's another stream which joins the upper 12 from the Decew falls system and another stream (Richardson's Creek) which empties muddy rain water into Martindale Pond at the Green Ribbon Trail south of Henley Island which runs into the Port harbour. Now we have the Haywood Gen .plant at Port D.......when they open the gates full blast ....expect to see brown water for a while and a sudden current change ,depending on what gates are open. One last cause of double double.....if any construction is going on in the above systems , it send more Timmies our way .......On a better note......"most of the time" the water viz. is good to go :Gonefishing:

Only fished port d one time last week saw lots caught not sure on Technique I was bottom bouncing with the currant the guy next to me said to put more weight on he seemed to have heavy weight and not much drift any thoughts ?

My thoughts are run far away from the 3 or 4 of them that own it lol...love the dirty looks and the "you cant catch fish with floats here". They need too tell the fish that tho.

My thoughts are run far away from the 3 or 4 of them that own it lol...love the dirty looks and the "you cant catch fish with floats here". They need too tell the fish that tho.

floats are amazing down there...my buddy does well down there on float...so well he's made me a believer in float fishing.

There are spots where one can float fish away from the maddening crowd . Floats and drifting side by side don't mix well and tangled lines will get tempers up eventually . There's 2 long piers there ....... :)

There are spots where one can float fish away from the maddening crowd . Floats and drifting side by side don't mix well and tangled lines will get tempers up eventually . There's 2 long piers there ....... :)

They pipe up no matter if theres 2 guys or 50. All the fish must be in the middle they think I guess lol

Regardless of whether you like to bottom bounce, drift, float, spoonchuck, I would expect the membership here to be mindful and respectful of every angler's right to access a public body of water.

Not fished port in years....but when we did we always floated it and done well. I hear you on the local owners...seen that already at a few places. Its called the Rivers Owners association....lol.

Aslong as a float guy doesn't come in at 8 and expects to get a prime spot by sandwiching between two bouncer nobody can say anything the tempers of these guys at Port kill me.

Aslong as a float guy doesn't come in at 8 and expects to get a prime spot by sandwiching between two bouncer nobody can say anything the tempers of these guys at Port kill me.

What if you get there at 7:55 ? lol Kinda like nudge your way in? hahaha. Kidding...I always give distance to whoever beats me there, and I expect the same from anyone arriving after me. Any other way...theres going to be a problem. No problem fishing tight quarters as long as everyone is in sinque and not causing a tangled mess. That's usually where the problem starts.

Floatfishers need not fish at the zoo. Floatfishers have more opportunities.

This is your second comment that is competely ignorant. Whats your deal? How about if someone choses to fish somewhere that they make the choice not have a handful of loogans with ill attitudes decide by acting like children.

Jeeps right...but lets not be personal about it. Good ethics should always prevail. I kind of never understood some of that myself when fishing around guys on the swing. Fly guys need room when fishing a run and usually work top down with a few steps every so often...so it kind of makes sense to move to the top of the run if someones swinging...i guess it all boils down to respecting each other. I often ask someone when i might be too close...and floaters are expected to move to the bottom of the run if its crowded. Someone leaves you move up...want a good spot...simple, show up early or in the case of Niagara the day before...lol. We all have the right to fish where and when we like....but respect is what its about. Be a knob youll get treated like one.

Tommy Tommy Tommy. Play nice

Really Cliff ???

The thread was about water clarity and then on post 6 Jeep decided to attack the bottom bouncers. Projecting I guess.

Posted Image

Unbeknown to us, our picture was in the Standard a few years back. Kind of hard to float fish, when most of the guys on the wall are bottom bouncing.

Really Cliff ???

The thread was about water clarity and then on post 6 Jeep decided to attack the bottom bouncers. Projecting I guess.

PortPosse.jpg

Unbeknown to us, our picture was in the Standard a few years back. Kind of hard to float fish, when most of the guys on the wall are bottom bouncing.

Really? Did you read post 6? And the following ones as well because i only explained what was said the last 2 times their and didnt attack bottom bouncers haha because I bottom bounce as well.

And your picture is alot different than the 4 guys on the wall from the last time on wednesday.

And honestly could careless just saying shouldnt be a problem if theres room then who cares.

Nobody was saying a float guy would or could squeeze inbetweem that many bouncing guys. Would'nt work. I personally hate fishing big crowds and only fish from the boat in port D. But we all have methods of catching fish and just need to get along when fishing no matter how you fish .We all share a common interest FISHING

On the same note once again if you come at 9 with a fly rod and aren't given space that's your problem. Rivers are first come first serve. If you come late you get what's left on the dinner table and can't whine

Nobody was saying a float guy would or could squeeze inbetweem that many bouncing guys. Would'nt work. I personally hate fishing big crowds and only fish from the boat in port D. But we all have methods of catching fish and just need to get along when fishing no matter how you fish .We all share a common interest FISHING

Agree Cliff .....last couple of trips to Port Dazooli there were over 30 anglers fishing from the east wall . They were getting along great and gave room for anyone who hooked a fish . There are many regulars who became friends and enjoy the gab & laughs amongst themselves ....many retired guys like myself have taken up the sport to enjoy the great outdoors . Many of the guys have helped newcomers with the set ups and techniques to help them "go with the flow " It's sad to see "discontent" among the few who want to fish "their style" and cause tangled lines ....word exchanges , cut lines , and the odd violent encounters . Peace brothers . :Gonefishing:

Archived