Bailey Bridge in Jordon

spikeattolah

As of last week , no water flow there , just puddles , don't think they will get to the bridge this year unless a lot of rain falls & flows over Balls Falls .

I was looking around yesterday ... no sign of salmon or smell of salmon, so either they are in the deeper pools, they have not made it, or the snaggers are keeping the fish and not tossing them in the bushes.

I was walking around there today for a look. I saw 4 salmon swimming around below the bridge. No idea how they got up there with as low as the water is.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, deetch said:

Can someone explain to me the thrill of catching Salmon at Baileys Bridge?

Other than snagging for Roe, what's the interest?

As Cliff said last year ,   some nice pictures to be had there .  Using a polarized filter will help get rid of reflections to capture those spawning/dying salmon .  I'm surprised they made it that far this year .

8 hours ago, salmonman said:

Legally, you aren't allowed to fish at the bridge right now.  It is closed until trout opener next Spring starting on Sept. 30th. 

Tightlines

Salmonman

Actually its not closed to fishing there. You can fish for other species just not salmon or trout. 

19 hours ago, yakfish said:

Actually its not closed to fishing there. You can fish for other species just not salmon or trout. 

Unless you have a CO explicitly tell you that you are allowed to fish for other species above the QEW bridge on Twenty Mile Creek then I would not be taking that chance.  It is a grey area in the regs and does not specifically say that other species are open to angle in this section of the creek. 

Tightlines

Salmonman

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, deetch said:

Can someone explain to me the thrill of catching Salmon at Baileys Bridge?

Other than snagging for Roe, what's the interest?

When I reported the conditions, it was for people to come and watch with their kids and not to fish.  Us locals know very well that this place is for salmon watchers and not fishers.

4 hours ago, salmonman said:

Unless you have a CO explicitly tell you that you are allowed to fish for other species above the QEW bridge on Twenty Mile Creek then I would not be taking that chance.  It is a grey area in the regs and does not specifically say that other species are open to angle in this section of the creek. 

Tightlines

Salmonman

Lots of bass, carp and catfish to be caught, we even used to ice fish there back in the 80's, all after the trout season closed and before it opened in spring. 

4 hours ago, salmonman said:

Tightlines

Salmonman

The grey area is moving further up stream towards bailys bridge and such, sure there is the odd different species in the creek portion but it is fairly obvious you want fish that are out of season. That pond has everything in it, with plenty of the fish having no season, but your bait will decide your intentions.

17 hours ago, salmonman said:

Tightlines

Salmonman

its actually pretty black and white, fish for trout or salmon, illegal; anything else goes.  To say its a grey area is just misleading.  Water that shallow there you might be hard pressed to get a legal hookup with a salmon anyways.  Like everyone else has pointed out, its a place to catch salmon with your CAMERA only.  Enjoy the stunning accomplishments these fish have waited their whole lives for.  Put in a little extra leg work, and you can find many more creeks and waterways that get filled with salmon every year.  Basically every outlet of water from inland has the potential for salmon to find their way up.  I myself have found them in some pretty unusual places.  

Ps my dog really loves the salmon run too :lol:

1375788_10151975741226528_391615930_n.jp

On 28/10/2016 at 4:26 PM, salmonman said:

Tightlines

Salmonman

No grey area at all. It is part of zone 16 which is open to angling. It is not a fish sanctuary. It is 100% legal to fish for bass, catfish, carp etc. You likely won't be successful above the bridge but you are allowed to try. Below the bridge there are lots of multispecies opportunities. Don't target salmon or trout and you have nothing to worry about.

The 'grey area'  in many of these situations is the guys who "sucker fish" with roe bags, 13' rods and pins. Pretty common on a lot of Erie tribs. If you really want bass, carp and catfish there is much better spots in niagara to target that's for sure. Suckers tend to run the creeks to spawn around the same time as the rainbows though creating an enforcement issue. 

If a fisherman is breaking the law there should be no problem with enforcing it. They "grey area" developes when people try to apply their own "ethics" to a situation such as this. But we have no "MNR book of ethics". We have regulations and laws, not grey areas. Stick to the regs and keep your ethics to yourself since yours and the guys fishing next to you will most likely be different.

Thank you for the clarification folks.  I wasn't trying to spark any debate,  I was just trying to communicate how I have always interpreted the closed seasons for salmonids, of which my interpretation all of these years has clearly been wrong.  The "grey area" can be chalked up to the CO's interpretation of your targeted species that you are fishing for, of which is usually pretty obvious.  I have personally never fished this location and was never aware of the other species that you can target in the pond. 

Tightlines

Salmonman

Archived