Challenge series Canadian carp society

Tyler0420

The 1vs1 challenge series has started and I fish my round one next weekend. We are fishing a 24hr session. My opponent lives on the st Lawrence river and will be fishing there. I have a tough round one to get through. I haven’t done many 24hr sessions but I’m pumped for it. Starting to prep bait now. 

1014B91D-687A-4FFF-A2D4-6823C557E062.jpeg

Looks like you are running a carp restaurant . 

Never heard of Nut Syrup , ( I'm a nut fan)  .  Fellow at Jordan was using soft  chick peas with a piece of float corn , went 1 for 2  on it .

Good luck , keep us tuned in . 

I’ll be fishing next weekend. I typed this weekend not thinking what day it was. 

I haven’t tried the citrus nut flavor yet but a few guys have been doing real well with it. I usually use the pineapple flavor. Soak my hookbaits in it, add it to chum sometimes and put it on my packbait. 

I haven’t used chickpeas as a hookbait but I add them to my chum. Sometimes my rigs are out for 4hrs+ and I want to make sure my hook baits aren’t falling off or being eaten by smaller fish. 
I won’t use canned corn as a hookbait either anymore unless I’m just screwing around at my local lake. 

4 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

That’s hardcore 

I won’t use all that in one session. Hopefully that will last the season. I also have 4kg of tiger nuts, 4kg of hemp seed and 16 cans of canned and creme corn. 
the corn will be gone in that session. 

I was using straight can corn at my last session and some type of bait fish were constantly nipping it off , piece by piece . They were not the typical gobi bites , and I'm guessing they were lake chubs, or other small fish . Sometimes they would pick up the line,  then drop it but no hookups . The same deal with the straight puffed corn on the hook , reeled in many time to find no bait left !   

Time for the tough maize on the hair !   I sometimes add one puffed corn to the hook as well as it elevates the maize which helps when there is algae present.. It softens to mush in a couple minutes and stays buoyant . 

Tyler ....I saw the hemp seeds at the Bulk Barn ......caviar is cheaper  lol !

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I bought 5kg at decathlon for $45. It’s already cooked/prepared. 

Do you mix that with oats in your pack baits ?   Last time I bought large flake oats it was a buck a pound at the B.Barn , prob. double that price now.....

Between buying canned corn , oats , puffs and maize I prob. spent about $45 per year  lol ...the perils of  being retired on a fixed income . 

I hope you do well at the competition and let us know what baits worked for you . Can you fish the St.L river as well ?

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Do you mix that with oats in your pack baits ?   Last time I bought large flake oats it was a buck a pound at the B.Barn , prob. double that price now.....

Between buying canned corn , oats , puffs and maize I prob. spent about $45 per year  lol ...the perils of  being retired on a fixed income . 

I hope you do well at the competition and let us know what baits worked for you . Can you fish the St.L river as well ?

I can put the hemp seed in the packbait but I mostly put it in my chum. Keeps the carp in the area grubbing around on the smaller bits for longer. 

I can fish anywhere in the world 

Goodluck @Tyler0420. You ever chase carp from your yak? Had mine out in the harbour this morning and the carp we’re in shallow and just thought If its even worth it. I’m sure it would be a fun ride when they go for those long runs. Anyways how does one get involved with these 24 he tournament type deals? Is there prizes at the end ? Seems like a pretty cool thing.

4 hours ago, DNorton said:

Goodluck @Tyler0420. You ever chase carp from your yak? Had mine out in the harbour this morning and the carp we’re in shallow and just thought If its even worth it. I’m sure it would be a fun ride when they go for those long runs. Anyways how does one get involved with these 24 he tournament type deals? Is there prizes at the end ? Seems like a pretty cool thing.

I havent tried carping from my yak but one day I’ll try it. Did it seem like they were spawning? Hopefully by the weekend they will be post spawn and on the feed bag. 
For the tournaments you have to be a Canadian Carp Society member to participate in them. There’s 4 tournaments all together. The SSF (spring,summer,fall) which is 9-10 days each event. Summit your top 3 fish on the site taking a few pics(you holding the fish, you weighing the fish and the scale reading). Then theres the challenge series which is 32 member bracket fishing 1vs1 the winner moves on to the next round. You and your partner choose if you wanna fish 12or24hr session and try to fish at the same time but if schedules don’t line up you can fish them separate and you summit your top 4 fish. 
there are prizes. The spring tournament actually had awesome prizes. Bait,shelters,rods/reels etc. 

the site is a paid membership but it’s well worth it. All the content is unreal. Videos,podcasts,bait making ,rigs etc. not to mention you get to see some truly epic catches from all over. 
If you fish carp or are looking to get into it I’d join the site forsure. 

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I havent tried carping from my yak but one day I’ll try it. Did it seem like they were spawning? Hopefully by the weekend they will be post spawn and on the feed bag. 
For the tournaments you have to be a Canadian Carp Society member to participate in them. There’s 4 tournaments all together. The SSF (spring,summer,fall) which is 9-10 days each event. Summit your top 3 fish on the site taking a few pics(you holding the fish, you weighing the fish and the scale reading). Then theres the challenge series which is 32 member bracket fishing 1vs1 the winner moves on to the next round. You and your partner choose if you wanna fish 12or24hr session and try to fish at the same time but if schedules don’t line up you can fish them separate and you summit your top 4 fish. 
there are prizes. The spring tournament actually had awesome prizes. Bait,shelters,rods/reels etc. 

the site is a paid membership but it’s well worth it. All the content is unreal. Videos,podcasts,bait making ,rigs etc. not to mention you get to see some truly epic catches from all over. 
If you fish carp or are looking to get into it I’d join the site forsure. 

That’s really cool I’ll check it out. I’m going to try for carp from the yak this weekend coming see what happens. As for the carp in the shallows they seemed to be feeding from what I could tell. Rummaging through the weeds kicking up a ton of silt. Fairly big guys too but not together. Hope it helps. 

54 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Fishing carp so far this spring has been tough in my area, fished the pond for two hours at Renne on Friday and not even a bump, water seemed cold for this time of year.

We had a real cold winter this year compared to the last couple years. Might take a bit longer to warm up. 

7 hours ago, steelshady said:

Fishing carp so far this spring has been tough in my area, fished the pond for two hours at Renne on Friday and not even a bump, water seemed cold for this time of year.

JWL & I caught a few nice perch there & they were colder than I expected , and came out of 10 fow average there . I think the carp are back in the shallow waters . I did Gibby today ...what a RIOT !  I was fishing in 6 fow & the water was warm . I went 9 for 12  today after getting a late start at 10 a.m. I used 2 rods , one with maize on the hair , one with a corn puff . The puffs outfished the corn 2 to 1  . They didn't want the maize ,so I added a puff to the barbless hook & caught 2 carp withing 20 minutes . The second rod was busy all day with a few misses ...need to check the puffs every 15-20 minutes since a 'bump' can take the soft mushy corn puff in a second ! Most carp were 8-10 lbs ...some real scrappy ones !   One carp was only about 3-4 lbs.  It was a fun day ...and " only" 3 ticks on me . ( rip) !  

Here's a few shots of the rigs and one average carp . Great day on the shore bank ! 

Bike , rods ,net.JPG

Carp rig corn,puff.JPG

Carp Rig,Puff.JPG

Gibby Carp 10 lbs.JPG

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

JWL & I caught a few nice perch there & they were colder than I expected , and came out of 10 fow average there . I think the carp are back in the shallow waters . I did Gibby today ...what a RIOT !  I was fishing in 6 fow & the water was warm . I went 9 for 12  today after getting a late start at 10 a.m. I used 2 rods , one with maize on the hair , one with a corn puff . The puffs outfished the corn 2 to 1  . They didn't want the maize ,so I added a puff to the barbless hook & caught 2 carp withing 20 minutes . The second rod was busy all day with a few misses ...need to check the puffs every 15-20 minutes since a 'bump' can take the soft mushy corn puff in a second ! Most carp were 8-10 lbs ...some real scrappy ones !   One carp was only about 3-4 lbs.  It was a fun day ...and " only" 3 ticks on me . ( rip) !  

Here's a few shots of the rigs and one average carp . Great day on the shore bank ! 

Bike , rods ,net.JPG

Carp rig corn,puff.JPG

Carp Rig,Puff.JPG

Gibby Carp 10 lbs.JPG

Great day out smerch. You kept busy. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Great day out smerch. You kept busy. 

No time for a pee ....I was close to having a double header a few times & had one carp tangle with the other line . 

Lots of carp in there , but some were not too healthy looking , from caved stomachs , inflamed fins , one eye enlarged (looked blind) ....

Me thinks they have chem-sickness . Others seemed fine & put up a great fight for their size .  

Also , heavy weed growth along the bank but the ticks weren''t too bad considering ......

Last week I spend $300 to have my van's a.c. recharged ... my trip home was with the windows down as the a.c. turned into a " heater " !  ...back to C.T. today ....have a feeling it will be much more expensive to fix ...

29 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

They might be post spawn and beat up a bit from spawning. 

A few looked a little beat up , some scales missing (not mirrors) lol ,  and one had a chunk of it's tail missing .The one in the photo does look like a spawned out carp . 

The lake is fairly shallow but some deeper spots about 8 '  deep with a little current .  I'll give it another go on a cooler day ...hoping to get my van's air fixed again today but I think it may need a whole new unit ....   $$$ ughhh !  

I have absolutely NO trust in CTC mechanics!!

Stems from many years ago when I took our van in to get an emission test done, and they told me my catalytic converter was shot and needed replacing…wanted over $750 to replace it.  Didn’t trust that report, said “no, not today”, and took it down the street to Zorro muffler and had them look at it.  Zorro said the catalytic converter was fine, just the heat shield over it rusting out.  Ever since then I have never taken any vehicle to CTC for any kind of repair work!