Port Dal.

smerchly

Started out  today by taking another skunk for a ride , then off to Port to toss a worm harness . I was fortunate to find the last parking spot in the whole area . ...lots of Asian people there , maybe a holiday of some kind . The water was down a tad and very little current . The only fish willing to take my worms were the white bass , a few nice ones for the table. I had better luck using 2 hooks & sinker (dropshot) with a piece of worm , lots of small ones (double header) ,then I ran out of worms,  so decided to leave as it was getting too hot .

Good to be out on the waterfront , it's been a while . My next-capade will be carping . :Gonefishing:

I wanted to get out today as well since the weather was nice this morning and tomorrow is going to be another scorcher. I just couldn't drag my bones out the house tho. Glad you got out smerch and got something, fall is fast approaching and theres always plenty of fall fatties to go around if you need your carp fix. 

I did try eastport drive in Hamilton the other night and there was a few carp cruising but I only had a hour or so and there were a few bumps but no takers. Need to be like a mountain goat tho up and down those rocks when they are biting in that spot. 

Just now, rab546 said:

be like a mountain goat tho up and down those rocks when they are biting in that spot. 

Some of my best spots have rocky shores and they are hard on the old feet and knees , and hips . I bought some good trail shoes to help walk on the rocks. 

Some of the carp spots have weeded over but still fishable .  There have been some nice carp caught where I fished today and they will take worms , but the gobies 

will beat them to it .  I had to keep the worms moving to keep the gobies away .  Better to use maize.

16 hours ago, smerchly said:

Started out  today by taking another skunk for a ride , then off to Port to toss a worm harness . I was fortunate to find the last parking spot in the whole area . ...lots of Asian people there , maybe a holiday of some kind . The water was down a tad and very little current . The only fish willing to take my worms were the white bass , a few nice ones for the table. I had better luck using 2 hooks & sinker (dropshot) with a piece of worm , lots of small ones (double header) ,then I ran out of worms,  so decided to leave as it was getting too hot .

Good to be out on the waterfront , it's been a while . My next-capade will be carping . :Gonefishing:

at least you didn't get double skunked smerch. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

at least you didn't get double skunked smerch. 

The skunk in the trap smelled very skunky & stunk up my van. I use an old car blanket over the wire trap and it absorbed the stink ....and so did my clothing . My wife said I stunk as well !  :skunk:   So off to the shower I went ....clothes are still hanging outside !   

Seven skunks so far ...2 neighbours have very 'unkempt' yards , tall grass/weeds & decks where skunks, etc. can live all year.  

We also have coons which need to be taken to the creek and possums which I don't mind having around the hood.

Stay cool today , looks like a good day to play inside .  I may take a run to the Brick ....I need a better mattress and a new freezer (upright) ....

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

+40 and on a roof I can’t wait for the afternoon 

just kidding….. 

A friend is doing cement work today . I could never work at outside jobs , except when I was a teen & picked fruit at local farms . Getting peach fuzz on the arms drove us nuts but the talcum powder helped . We had a lot of local sweat shops with no a.c. My stepdaughter works in a factory making plastic with no a.c. most guys quit the first day on the job . Take care up there , have plenty of water handy .

A yellow jacket got under my shirt , stung my shoulder 4 times !   Good thing I wasn't wearing shorts !  

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

+40 and on a roof I can’t wait for the afternoon 

just kidding….. 

Been doing roofing and building chimneys for the last 20+ years, dealing with high temps just part of the job.

6 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Been doing roofing and building chimneys for the last 20+ years, dealing with high temps just part of the job.

Yup nothing you can do about it. Can’t make money sitting at home in AC. 

I’d take +40 everyday over the winter. 
Today isn’t too bad. There’s a nice breeze and I’ll be in the shade the rest of the day. 

Ouch !  That black roofing material must throw a lot of heat .  Maybe switch to white stuff .  B)  Black vehicles get much hotter than white ones . My asphalt driveway causes a false reading on my outside thermometer devise that sends the reading inside . I moved it yesterday to a shady spot under a tree ....reading now says " 85*F. "

i'll take the cold temps Tyler , can always add more clothes & take extra vitamin D .   

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Way to go Bill.....................Glad to hear that you got into some white bass..........................

Supper for today  Tony . I make sure to remove the 'mud line' as it has a 'fishy' taste . Some call them white perch , but they look more like a silver'bass' , so I'll go with white bass .  The largest one is 11 " . They are scrappy for their size . Quinte has been known to have heavy runs of them & I've seen many Chinese people fishing from the Deseronto bridge and filling their pails with them .....which is a good thing as they are considered a  threat to other fish.

This is an old shot taken near the cement plant near Picton , my biggest one to date .

Big White Bass.JPG

Just now, steelshady said:

Hey Smerch,

Have you fished Port D pier for carp? I seen a few jump last year while fishing salmon.

I  went to the east side last fall only to find they dumped tons of huge rocks on the north side of the marina . that's where huge carp were spotted a few yards from the wall . The carp may still be there , but the rocks are not compatible to old cogers like me . Carp are everywhere in the harbour if you want to spend some time chumming a spot and netting them without breaking a leg  My next trip will be Gibby again ...a few small rocks by very fishable .(next 'cool' day) !

....the east pier  has free parking (so far)  .

The gobies don't get much of my maize corn , on the hair rig , I use the largest pieces and sometimes add a rubber kernel  at the end of the hair. The gobies are terrorists as they easily steal my corn puffs since they turn to mush quickly and float 3" to 5" from bottom .Were you at the west pier behind the tall ship .....I remember Jerry Barnett  and Bill Ball , older members of the SCGFA fishing for carp there before they added the boat docks  ....still fishable but strong line needed to keep them away from the docks .

Jerry served as president  and loved carp fishing in all forms ....met him at C.D.P. fishing with a waggler float & he hooked one while I talked with him .

https://www.niagarafishing.net/topic/34187-rip-jerry/#comment-273929

On 8/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Yup nothing you can do about it. Can’t make money sitting at home in AC. 

I’d take +40 everyday over the winter. 
Today isn’t too bad. There’s a nice breeze and I’ll be in the shade the rest of the day. 

Used to do tar and stone industrial roofing back in the late 70's. Bloody brutal work back then. Seen a few pass out on the roof.  I almost passed out on one of the ladders.

Been too hot for me. Heat got to me Monday and Tuesday.  First time in decades. I'm only casting after dark as the temps drop.

9 hours ago, bigugli said:

Been too hot for me. Heat got to me Monday and Tuesday.  First time in decades. I'm only casting after dark as the temps drop.

I hope you are feeling better Bruce , I   try to find some shade but when it gets too hot I have to leave and go home . The Gatorade drinks helped refuel my electrolites and gave me some extra zip .  There may be better things to drink other than water .....

A little rain early last night helped cool it down a tad . I made a trip to the Brick to buy a new mattress & upright freezer . It rained only on the north side of St. Paul , no rain here but large puddles at Walmart & 4th Ave ..weird ! But we got some rain early this morning .

Hot weekend ahead ......Think ICE .......    :coldsmiley:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I hope you are feeling better Bruce , I   try to find some shade but when it gets too hot I have to leave and go home . The Gatorade drinks helped refuel my electrolites and gave me some extra zip .  There may be better things to drink other than water .....

A little rain early last night helped cool it down a tad . I made a trip to the Brick to buy a new mattress & upright freezer . It rained only on the north side of St. Paul , no rain here but large puddles at Walmart & 4th Ave ..weird ! But we got some rain early this morning .

Hot weekend ahead ......Think ICE .......    :coldsmiley:

I'm sticking to the navy cure....  Lime juice, salt and a good measure of pusser's.  Cures everything.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:
3 hours ago, smerchly said:

:coldsmiley:

I'm sticking to the navy cure....  Lime juice, salt and a good measure of pusser's.  Cures everything.

What a concoction that Pusser's brew !  ...Quite a history on it (soggy dollar) . 

It would put me to sleep el pronto !   It has some nice fruit flavours added including pineapple . ...may be just the ticket to 'fortify' my maize !

Many eons ago a guy we knew from Trinidad  sent me an Imp.gallon of dark rum through our post office !!  ... about  1975  & It was labelled " preservatives" & some plums were visible floating inside the jug .  I don't know how it got through the mail without breaking the glass , but it was good rum .  

Those days are toast ..........unless UPS can deliver it to us.  

Good to see you up and running again Bruce .  

• 2 weeks later...