Archery help for beginner please

Hey everyone I’m new to this forum and new to hunting and am looking for help. I would like to get into archery because it will prolong my season and give me some new opportunities. The problem is I don’t have an unlimited budget and my draw length is 31.75” so most compound bow options are really expensive. Obviously the more cost effective option is an Excalibur mag 340 but I feel like other than hunts I won’t shoot it. (I don’t have anywhere to shoot it and my club doesn’t allot cross bows in the range). If you guys could offer any advice or experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks

If you go with a compound bow, be prepared to do alot of practice to become proficient with it. Most folks just don’t have the time or location to do that required amount of practice. The new releases and such take alot of the error-prone actions away from the shooter so it is easier than it used to be, but time and much practice are still required.
If you go with a crossbow, especially an excalibur, much of that practice is no longer required and you can concentrate more on the hunting rather than the shooting. Once you sight it in you’ll be bang on and busting arrows soon unless you shoot at a different bullseye. The game becomes judging distance.

I’ve done both. the compound requires more shooting skill but i’ve shot more deer up close with a crossbow than i ever would have with a compound.

Either way you owe it to the animal to become procient with whatever tool you choose to use.

good luck and happy hunting!

41 minutes ago, Markster said:

If you go with a compound bow, be prepared to do alot of practice to become proficient with it. Most folks just don’t have the time or location to do that required amount of practice. The new releases and such take alot of the error-prone actions away from the shooter so it is easier than it used to be, but time and much practice are still required.
If you go with a crossbow, especially an excalibur, much of that practice is no longer required and you can concentrate more on the hunting rather than the shooting. Once you sight it in you’ll be bang on and busting arrows soon unless you shoot at a different bullseye. The game becomes judging distance.

I’ve done both. the compound requires more shooting skill but i’ve shot more deer up close with a crossbow than i ever would have with a compound.

Either way you owe it to the animal to become procient with whatever tool you choose to use.

good luck and happy hunting!

100% agree Mark. We have a hunt group of 3 people. Me and one guy use a crossbow, the 3rd uses a compound bow. Every year the guy with the compound bow is tracking and losing deer as a result of bad shots. I fully admit I don't practice as much as I should, but my shots are deadly accurate with my excalibur. Haven't lost a deer yet, and they all drop fast. I will stick with my crossbow. Plus way easier on my arms and shoulders! 

Hey guys and Thankyou for your time and help I appreciate it! Have anyone of you had any success or hunted with anyone that has had success with a compound? I can totally understand the pros for a crossbow that makes sense in my mind. The one downside to a crossbow is that I currently don’t have anywhere to hunt deer locally and have no hunt groups so the only time I would use it is to hunt whereas I can shoot the compound at HGC and the Parkdale archery club 10 min from my house regularly? Thanks so much again for your hospitality and time!

8 minutes ago, Tinyboatcam said:

Hey guys and Thankyou for your time and help I appreciate it! Have anyone of you had any success or hunted with anyone that has had success with a compound? I can totally understand the pros for a crossbow that makes sense in my mind. The one downside to a crossbow is that I currently don’t have anywhere to hunt deer locally and have no hunt groups so the only time I would use it is to hunt whereas I can shoot the compound at HGC and the Parkdale archery club 10 min from my house regularly? Thanks so much again for your hospitality and time!

I don't think you will have any problems killing deer with a compound bow if you are practicing on a regular basis. I think that's the main problem is  most people don't practice all year, and then think come deer season they can make precise accurate shots.  

Welcome to the site...I've been a bow hunter for 26 years ..I started shooting archery when.i was 12 with just a long bow then purchased my first used compound at 16....the first deer I ever had an encounter with busted me drawing my bow back to shoot...that's where the learning began...I blew that opportunity and from there I went my first 3 seasons deerless ...my forth year I hit a small buck in the front shoulder shooting 45lb draw and the deer broke off the arrow with not much penetration...never found it...still had a tagg into last week.of the season...my buddy says sit my stand and use my crossbow so I did..I sat for 8 minutes and shot a spike buck....I was jacked about having the 1st deer but for some strange  reason I just felt no challenge at all with a bit of regret for killing something...I got over it once my parents freezer was full....I continued to practice with my compound into the next season and got really good with it..shot a buck ...and filled buck tags 6 yrs in a row with the compound...had a 2 yr slump shooting over ones back and another under its belly...borrowed a crossbow again and bang deer down ....I can tell ya a tonne of ups and downs but at the end of the day the cross bow is very simple providing you are sighted in with the arrows and broad heads your using and know what yardage the Deers at and where your your bows hitting...same goes for compound..sighted In for the arrows and broadheads you shoot out to 20 30 or 40 yards....I've never took a poke out to 40 but I recently killed my big buck this year at 37 yards double lunged...again practice daily made that possible..I.shoot 6 arrows before i Ieave home to be sure I'm dialed in....I've killed around 12 bucks with compound and maybe 3 with crossbow ...you can definitely hunt on the ground way easier with a  crossbow for starters...I've jumped  deer before walking out that stood there looking right at me that I couldn't draw back on but had I had a crossbow loaded I could've point and clicked and been successful probably...I think you should keep an eye on kijjiji maybe or head out to erie trackers and check out their used bows if your going for a compound...31 inch draw is a bit tougher but possible in used...newer for ready to hunt setup I'd go with a pse or a bear ...everything else is pricy.... I used a pse for years but now I'm shooting a bear .....if ya like a challenge and not afraid of failure or disappointment the compound is awesome....if ya wanna optimize your chances of being successful go with a crossbow ....and there's a lot of other things to consider....cold weather more bulky clothes tougher to use compound also with cold hands gloves on ..no problem with a crossbow ...good luck..there's a lot to consider ...im sure there's a few more guys to chime in like mooseslayer I believe is a compound shooter as well and others...pictures of my 3 best compound bow bucks including last seasons which Is the euro mount ....my biggest is a frow entry at 177 5/8" .I hunted 62 times to kill that deer on December 27th willing to eat tag soup to get him lol

IMG_20180105_200307594.jpg

20230311_230632.jpg

Glad to see another hunter on the site, I've shot both compound and crossbows. As time moved on - work/kids/wife etc. I've found myself losing the free time needed to shoot, shoot, shoot a compound bow enough to be lethal. No one wants to be wounding animals, especially bow hunters. I would recommend the crossbow and it don't get much better than an Excalibur, easy to change strings, no cam wheels or anything to really go wrong. Been using one Excalibur model or another for 25 years now, scopes are good and accurate and can shoot left handed if you need to - try that with a compound bow. But you should get a hunting spot before you make any purchase, it aint easy. Most of the 'open minded' landowners already have someone on their property and the rest are dead against the idea of hunting. Good luck, its a tough decision

My brother Mooseslayer has shot 14 or more bear with a bow. He has shot 9 moose with a bow. He has shot turkey with a bow. A lot of deer with a bow. He has shot coyote with a bow. I have shot 14 bear with a bow. I forget how many deer with a bow. All this with a compound bow.

If you have no place to practice or have physical limitations a crossbow is the way to go. A compound is more of a challenge and requires a lot of practice. But this is the same with any hunting. you have a moral responsibility to make a clean quick kill whether it is with a gun or bow/crossbow. I have seen rifle hunters, shotgunners, archers all miss shots .... easy shots because of lack of practice. I have been called out to track deer due to  poor shots from a hunter using a crossbow. Mooseslayer and myself along with our other brothers belong to the Thorold Legion Conservation Club. We practice all year round weather permitting on targets. From spring to fall we put on biweekly 3D shoots at lifesize animal targets ranging from wolverine to deer to bear to cougar and a deer size moose and elk. It is a lot of fun and helps fulfil our moral obligation to be as good as we can be but more importantly to learn our shooting limits. How far can I put all my arrows consistently in a paper plate sized area (approximate size of the heart/lung area of a deer or bear). This establishes the maximum range you should be shooting at game.

Practice is required for crossbows too. I have seen a number of crossbowmen/women come to the club for our open 3D shoots and a surprising number don't shoot as well as the compound users. Lack of practice is the problem. It is not limited to archery. People spend thousands of dollars to go on hunting trips but don't spend the time or money to practice shooting a gun or shotgun. One of the worst feelings in the world for me is wounding an animal and seeing to get away to die slowly.

So I practice with my bow. I shoot my rifles, shotguns and air rifles. I wish I did it more especially as I grow old and feeble. I take  shots that I know I have a high probability of a quick humane kill. I know those shots because I have practiced for them.

As for a crossbow you can spend as much or more on it as a compound bow nowadays. Generally a used compound or crossbow is fine to use if you take the time to ensure it is in good condition. Better equipment can make better shots but only if you practice. I've gone to the trap range with Mooseslayer  and we used our old relatively cheap shotguns and outshot people using guns worth thousands of dollars more. My rifles and scopes aren't the most expensive of their kind. My bow is a Hoyt Charger...far from a high end bow. But it shoots better than I can make it.

I don't know how you determined a 31.75" draw length but a common fault of many archers is having too long a draw length. You cannot have a relaxed repeatable stance if you are putting your body out of position to get maximum draw. The same with poundage. Too many people go crazy with the poundage. This often results in poor shooting habits. I found I shot my bow better by reducing my draw length down to where I could have a relaxed arm position. I went from 65 lbs. draw to 55lbs. to be able to hold the bow more comfortably and hold longer when necessary and be able to make a quality shot. It's also conducive to practicing more if it's easier to do.

Recent bear for me and Mooseslayer's moose last fall

image.jpeg   image.jpeg

I'm a proponent of only taking up a compound bow if you are going to practice a lot. We do 3D archery shoots at the Thorold Conservation Group club about every second Sunday throughout the summer and in between I still practice even though I've been doing it over 40 years and I it is automatic for me. You practice so that everything...draw, release, follow through ... becomes natural and you don't have to think when the time comes for a shot.

Besides that ...it is just a fun hobby even if you don't hunt.

I will be posting our 3D shoots calendar in the Hunting section soon. I think we're looking at starting up April 30th. I'll be out practicing as soon as the weather gets a little better. 

9 hours ago, Digger said:

Glad to see another hunter on the site, I've shot both compound and crossbows. As time moved on - work/kids/wife etc. I've found myself losing the free time needed to shoot, shoot, shoot a compound bow enough to be lethal. No one wants to be wounding animals, especially bow hunters. I would recommend the crossbow and it don't get much better than an Excalibur, easy to change strings, no cam wheels or anything to really go wrong. Been using one Excalibur model or another for 25 years now, scopes are good and accurate and can shoot left handed if you need to - try that with a compound bow. But you should get a hunting spot before you make any purchase, it aint easy. Most of the 'open minded' landowners already have someone on their property and the rest are dead against the idea of hunting. Good luck, its a tough decision

As someone who took up hunting later in life,  I found this a real challenge.  There is essentially no crown land in Niagara, and finding a good spot to hunt took me years, and dozens of unsuccessful door knocks. I now have a great spot to hunt deer and coyote but one day I know this spot will come to an end. 

I started bowhunting in the ‘70s with a 50 lb recurve bow, then after a few years went to a 50 lb compound (only 50% letoff in those days).  When school ended in June, I would start practising 5 days a week right thru till opening day in Oct. before I felt competent with the bow.  Eventually I got tendonitis, and couldn’t pull the bow any more, so bought a used PSE crossbow (125 lb) to hunt.  As someone stated previously, very little practice needed to get 2” groups out to 30 yds (my max shot I would take with it).

Then 4 years ago I got a new PSE (150 lb), and now guarantee 2” groups out to 50 yards (my new max distance).  Only a few shots needed each fall to ensure groups are still right on the sight lines, and I’m good for the season!

Whatever type of archery equipment you choose to use, the cardinal rule is know your maximum yardage limit for accurate, consistent shots, and always stay within that distance, and only shoot when you know you can hit the vital heart/lung area!

On 3/12/2023 at 4:37 PM, Tinyboatcam said:

Hey everyone I’m new to this forum and new to hunting and am looking for help. I would like to get into archery because it will prolong my season and give me some new opportunities. The problem is I don’t have an unlimited budget and my draw length is 31.75” so most compound bow options are really expensive. Obviously the more cost effective option is an Excalibur mag 340 but I feel like other than hunts I won’t shoot it. (I don’t have anywhere to shoot it and my club doesn’t allot cross bows in the range). If you guys could offer any advice or experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Which hand would you draw a compound back with??...possibly know someone with a used bow or two...

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

then your left eye is your master eye, that is the  determining factor , not if you are right or left handed, same as shotgunning

Yeah! I had to learn to shoot left handed too. I actually just got off the phone with a great guy from triggers a bows and he let me know I need a 33+ inch bow for my longer draw length due to string angle. Which completely prices me out of a compound bow 👎🏼 If you or anyone else has any thoughts let me know 

If you are in the Niagara Region go to Erie Trackers and get measured and see what they have, as they sometimes have used bows. When you use a compound bow with a string loop and a release it will shorten the draw length on the bow as your hand is further back than traditional archery. I originally had a longer draw length and found it better with a slightly shorter one as it can keep you from really extending your bow arm and make you hit your arm/coat. I can check at my club if anyone has a left handed bow for sale.

32 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

If you are in the Niagara Region go to Erie Trackers and get measured and see what they have, as they sometimes have used bows. When you use a compound bow with a string loop and a release it will shorten the draw length on the bow as your hand is further back than traditional archery. I originally had a longer draw length and found it better with a slightly shorter one as it can keep you from really extending your bow arm and make you hit your arm/coat. I can check at my club if anyone has a left handed bow for sale.

I’ll check that out thanks a lot thanks I really appreciate it let me know if anything comes up

If a 30 inch draw length worked I have one of my first bows here from 1993 ...it's a myles keller impact xi...it's still in great condition just outdated with a giant cobra 3 pin sight and dually prong arrow rest....I can still take this bow off the shelf and shoot bullseyes....was gonna keep it but if it helps a fellow hunter serious about getting into it 

Just now, fishingking said:

If a 30 inch draw length worked I have one of my first bows here from 1993 ...it's a myles keller impact xi...it's still in great condition just outdated with a giant cobra 3 pin sight and dually prong arrow rest....I can still take this bow off the shelf and shoot bullseyes....was gonna keep it but if it helps a fellow hunter serious about getting into it 

That’s super nice of you man thanks! But I’d say I’m for sure longer than that. But if something changes and I’m shorter than what I thought I will 100% message you thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi…I am a certified Archery Coach and used to provide free instruction to kids interested in getting into the sport of archery. I have hunted and shot competitive and non-competitive archery for many years with both compound bows, recurve and crossbows. In my opinion…If you are looking for a bow to hunt turkeys and or white tailed deer with then a crossbow will be easier and quicker to dial in and shoot proficiently. I believe it is the most ethical option for hunting as it requires less movement, shoots flatter trajectory or has better repeatability due to less variables to throw an arrow off course, and is a better option in cold conditions. There are pros n cons to both options.. and it is ultimately a personal choice. Regarding an option to shoot a crossbow…you could reach out to Niagara Falls Archery Club and the people there would help you with a wealth of knowledge…and membership with an intake process would allow you to shoot traditional / compound or crossbow at outdoor ranges. Sounds like you are on a budget…so you could reach out to Erie Tracker and explain that you are new to the sport and are looking for a used crossbow or compound bow…and let them know your financial maximum. They might have a used bow package for sale? Also..there is a good 3D archery shoot coming up at Dunnville Hunters and Anglers club on Good Friday April 7th. Check out website and You could attend that event even if you do not shoot and check out how these competitive fun shoots operate. Good luck…be safe…feel free to reach out if you have any further questions…Cheers!

3 hours ago, 10 Pointer said:

Hi…I am a certified Archery Coach and used to provide free instruction to kids interested in getting into the sport of archery. I have hunted and shot competitive and non-competitive archery for many years with both compound bows, recurve and crossbows. In my opinion…If you are looking for a bow to hunt turkeys and or white tailed deer with then a crossbow will be easier and quicker to dial in and shoot proficiently. I believe it is the most ethical option for hunting as it requires less movement, shoots flatter trajectory or has better repeatability due to less variables to throw an arrow off course, and is a better option in cold conditions. There are pros n cons to both options.. and it is ultimately a personal choice. Regarding an option to shoot a crossbow…you could reach out to Niagara Falls Archery Club and the people there would help you with a wealth of knowledge…and membership with an intake process would allow you to shoot traditional / compound or crossbow at outdoor ranges. Sounds like you are on a budget…so you could reach out to Erie Tracker and explain that you are new to the sport and are looking for a used crossbow or compound bow…and let them know your financial maximum. They might have a used bow package for sale? Also..there is a good 3D archery shoot coming up at Dunnville Hunters and Anglers club on Good Friday April 7th. Check out website and You could attend that event even if you do not shoot and check out how these competitive fun shoots operate. Good luck…be safe…feel free to reach out if you have any further questions…Cheers!

Hey man thanks so much for the help! When I get all set up I’ll for sure check these groups and events out thanks again for your time!