Turkey season

Markster

I tried rage mechanicals once for deer - lost a 6 point buck hit standing broadside 20 yards away with a good heart/lung shot.  Found the deer 3 weeks later lying in a spot I had walked thru 3 times during a 3 hour search.  Thru the dam rage out!!

Switched to Excalibur mechanicals and love them for deer, but never tried them on turkeys

I’ve heard similar stories about mechanical broadheads not performing properly.
I’ve shot quite a few deer with plain old 3 blade muzzy broadheads and never had an issue finding a deer. For me and deer, I’ll stick to what works.
Just not sure about turkeys.

On another topic, isn’t it early for turkeys to be calling alot?
It this rate they’ll be all gobbled out by season opener. 🙂 

10 hours ago, coyotehunter said:

Turkeys have a brain the size of a walnut. So why not gobble now? They can't read a calendar. Of course this explains why your frustrated when they outsmart you.

So ,  why do people call others "turkeys" ?   B)

I've been called a turkey more than once . Bubba !  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I usually do a dawn hunt, and I’ve given up on putting out any decoys for early morning hunts.

Why: because at dawn the gobblers are with hens, and they don’t seem interested in decoying then.

If I were going out after 11:00 am to hunt after the second week of the season, then I would put out my good Avian-X hen decoy and my thunder chicken jake, as by that time of day the hens are nesting, and gobblers are roaming in search of other hens to breed.

Decoys, I've tried em all. Last season used a 3 bird spread with 2 'robots' spinning around including a Jake and a breeder hen.

The big boy still hung up on me at 100 yards gobbling at my decoys for 90min.

I'm not really sure all this expense makes much of a difference. It depends on the bird and his mood.

One day they hang up the next they run full out into your spread, just gotta get lucky

And I've had birds later in the season that were decoy shy - I'm sure of it.

Good luck all you Turkey hunters out there, 12 days to go. 

Good morning everyone, spent the morning scouting new private land. Heard groups of gobbling turkeys responding to crow and owl calls. Spotted what looked like a Jake in a field about 100yds away but he continued onto the next field and not mine. Question for you all. There’s a area in the fence where it seems like they come off the roost and into the fields. How far away should I place a decoy to attract him to my hunting property? Should I use a hen or a Jake? Is it best to be there at daybreak or afternoon when the males are back out on the hunt?  Also are these turkey tracks? Thanks so much. Good luck 

76B48879-7650-4E54-85AA-F314107CCA0F.jpeg

0B4BD1C4-D872-4ECD-A98B-C1CD57E24499.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tinyboatcam said:

Good morning everyone, spent the morning scouting new private land. Heard groups of gobbling turkeys responding to crow and owl calls. Spotted what looked like a Jake in a field about 100yds away but he continued onto the next field and not mine. Question for you all. There’s a area in the fence where it seems like they come off the roost and into the fields. How far away should I place a decoy to attract him to my hunting property? Should I use a hen or a Jake? Is it best to be there at daybreak or afternoon when the males are back out on the hunt?  Also are these turkey tracks? Thanks so much. Good luck 

Definitely turkey tracks.

Maybe just a hen decoy, if any.

At season start I would hunt daybreak - birds may not be nesting yet, so toms wont’t wander away from the hens.

5 hours ago, Tinyboatcam said:

I've only been hunting turkeys for 4.5 years, but 4 out of those 4.5 I've gotten a bird on opening morning using decoys.

I put my hen about 10-15 yards from the field edge looking away from me, I put my Jake a couple feet behind her looking at her. I call until I get a response and then call very sparsely. 

They usually come right into my decoys and start bullying the jake. It's worth it just to see that particular behavior up close.

I set myself up a little poorly last year and the Tom came in from a different direction than I was anticipating and ended up right between my decoys, I shot him through the camo netting I had up. He was so focused on bullying my Jake that I probably could have tapped him on the "shoulder".

On 4/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, Tinyboatcam said:

Deffinitley not turkey tracks. Way too small and they look nothing like that. Best way to get a bird is being patient and spending lots of time out there. Find turkey tracks and wait in that area, it could take all day,  or it could take all week just be patient. I find after the hens go back to the nest in the morning the best time. Good lucklarge.jpg

37 minutes ago, genec said:

Roadrunner, thats the tracks of a young turkey.

The one I posted is a turkey track. Tinyboatcams picture is not. You can see the size in comparison to the cat track in his picture. They also do not have a long toe off the back of their foot. There are no small young poults this time of year. Hope this helps 

34 minutes ago, genec said:

My oops!

just glanced quickly at the photo and saw the 3 toe marks - didn’t pay attention to the rear mark.

No worries! That's what these forums are for. Good luck out there everyone! And watch for ticks lol 

12 minutes ago, Markster said:

Well, its that time.
i pulled the turkey vest out and cleaned and checked the decoys. Blind is in good shape and still standing.

My Calls are also ready to go.

I’m ready to roll tomorrow morning!
Who else is ready?

Good luck. Looking forward to some pics.