Grand river (Ontario) steelie run

Tyler0420

Anyone know why this run blows so much?

lack of stocking?

lack of suitable spawning tribs?

I’m going to contact someone over the winter and get to low down on it. Maybe it’s better than I think. Id like to know if there’s any stocking at all. There might be a very small one but who knows if any is going on these days. I like to donate some time and money to this if that’s even an option.  I know trout unlimited does a bunch of work on the tribs where I live so I’m going to help out in 2024. 

what happened to seeing 30 guys at cali dam fishing and now I see maybe 4-5. This morning no one was there. 

41 minutes ago, toaster said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think ontario stocks any steelhead on this side.  You better call NYDEC or Pennsylvania DEP.

MNR probably dont but there’s a rod n gun club with a hatchery and two trout streams running through their property so I think they might stock a bit. I could be wrong though gotta look into it more. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Some how they do. Not sure if there’s a ladder or they go around or maybe super jump it 

I have fished at the base of the dam at Dunville from a boat and watched them jump the dam , then watch them scoot away in the shallow (10") water above the dam, quite a sight to see , but that was over 20 years ago . Lake levels and water flow could change that from happening .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I have fished at the base of the dam at Dunville from a boat and watched them jump the dam , then watch them scoot away in the shallow (10") water above the dam, quite a sight to see , but that was over 20 years ago . Lake levels and water flow could change that from happening .

I’m sure they still do. I’ve seen them jump/swim up calidonia dam. 

Working in Caledonia this week so stopped by the dam this morning for 10 casts with a charturse Mr twister (walleye). No luck but was talking to a guy that was leaving and he said this years steelie run has been 💩 but the last couple years have been decent. He caught 3 end of September and nothing since. 

IMG_3867.jpeg

It's like something in the water from farm chem. runoff ect.....  I'm sure they dumped 'stuff' into the Gibson/Moody to kill off the grass carp and other species were affected too .  When the MNR dumped chems into the Wanapitei R. which empties into the French R. to kill the lamprey eels it really turned off the walleye bite and the shore lined minnows disappeared.  Do we get factual info from the MNR when they test the water and fish after they do the chem kills ?

I was on a mission to catch a steelhead on a fly rod one year about 10 years or so ago and targeted Caledonia dam. I was there 5 or 6 times before I finally caught one, not a very efficient way to catch them but was a blast having one on. Once I caught one on the fly I crossed that off the list. I have caught lots of Rainbow Parr in some tributaries of the Grand while fishing for Brown's so there must be some natural reproduction. There is supposed to be a good run at Paris but have never fished there.

30 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

There is supposed to be a good run at Paris but have never fished there.

If Cali and brantford don’t have fish than neither will Paris. I also think Paris area is closed this time of year and the tribs close Oct 1st right when they start showing up. 

The timing of the open/closed season is perfect  The fish show up when it closes and most leave by the time it opens. 

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

I was on a mission to catch a steelhead on a fly rod one year about 10 years or so ago and targeted Caledonia dam. I was there 5 or 6 times before I finally caught one, not a very efficient way to catch them but was a blast having one on. Once I caught one on the fly I crossed that off the list. I have caught lots of Rainbow Parr in some tributaries of the Grand while fishing for Brown's so there must be some natural reproduction. There is supposed to be a good run at Paris but have never fished there.

If you wanna try getting one on the fly again try the York area I believe fly guys fish there. 

I was in Caledonia about 3 weeks or so ago and not one person fishing there. Passing through York on the way back

I did see a number of people trying their luck there. I have actually fished York more than the dam area with so so luck.

20 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

I was in Caledonia about 3 weeks or so ago and not one person fishing there. Passing through York on the way back

I did see a number of people trying their luck there. I have actually fished York more than the dam area with so so luck.

I’ll have to check the waters out around there. 
mostly shallow runs no?

Yes lots of shallow spots, however like most of that area down to Cayuga there are all kinds of spots where the rocks create hiding spots for many fish. Lots of holes as well. If fly fishing just keep casting and moving around. I have also caught fish there still fishing with a float.  Fish are moving around.

:Gonefishing: