Not Having Any Luck

genec

Since it looks like there is zero chance of local ice fishing this year, I decided to try shore fishing.  Yesterday morning I tried an early run to fish for pickerel in the Niagara river in Ft. Erie at the old Nichols marine site.  Normally I try using lures or plastics there, but yesterday decided to try with minnows.  However, after over 2 1/2 hours I hadn’t had a single bite.

I still had minnows left, so this morning decided to switch and try the north end of the rec canal for perch.  However, no bites again! 

It seems that "cold" spell has disappeared Gene ,  I was hoping to punch a few holes in the ice but it looks like deja vu from last winter . 

After spend a lot of time getting ready for ice fishing it's time to pack it all away and polish up the bank gear again . I have been cleaning and lubing my reels

for bank fishing .  You may want to try there again in early March , maybe the fish will follow the smelt earlier this year .

I should take my big canoe for a spin as soon as the water is paddleable , may be a chance the "ice fish" are still there .

16 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Try for walleye you could have better luck :)🍀 

I'm going to grab some worms tonight and rig up a 3 way for trouties , eyes or anything with lips.  🐧

53 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I'm going to grab some worms tonight and rig up a 3 way for trouties , eyes or anything with lips.  🐧

What area  are you going to try, Bill!

I usually do drifting at Port .Dalhousie (3 way) . I fish both sides of the harbour depending on wind direction and away from crowds. It's always better when the power dam is open enough for a decent drift , otherwise I do a slow steady retrieve .  The temp. is dropping off quickly , now at 42*F. , hope the crawlers are out there tonight .

I have plenty of salties and skein to try also. 

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

It seems that "cold" spell has disappeared Gene ,  I was hoping to punch a few holes in the ice but it looks like deja vu from last winter . 

After spend a lot of time getting ready for ice fishing it's time to pack it all away and polish up the bank gear again . I have been cleaning and lubing my reels

for bank fishing .  You may want to try there again in early March , maybe the fish will follow the smelt earlier this year .

I should take my big canoe for a spin as soon as the water is paddleable , may be a chance the "ice fish" are still there .

Deja-vu from last year indeed... Got a week of local fishable ice again. Only difference for me this year is I had a little time off to fish it lol.  

An acquaintance of mine has lately been doing very well with walleye while boat fishing on the upper river. He launches at Nichol's and drifts the shore while jigging a white jig (no other bait)

Unfortunately, I had to sell my Legend boat 3 years ago after it became a money pit…67 rivets replaced, 3 hull welds, then the motor started going…new stadter, then needed 4 replacement carbs.

All I have now is my Wilderness Systems Ride fishing kayak, and a 16 ft aluminum with a 20 Hp we inherited from my cousin.

3 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Being in the right spot with fish will be most important. 

Fine tuning presentation is next.

Use the baits you are confident in. Don't get hung up on colour.

Been trying all my fav stuff for them at Ft. Erie….lures, plastics and jigs, but just haven’t had any luck at all there from shore.

Tried minnows the last trip hoping they might work, but nothing.

9 hours ago, genec said:

Been trying all my fav stuff for them at Ft. Erie….lures, plastics and jigs, but just haven’t had any luck at all there from shore.

Tried minnows the last trip hoping they might work, but nothing.

From shore its tougher for sure, unless you are in a good spot that they travel through.

A boat/sonar will help find them quicker and you fish on top of them.

From shore you have to work the depths with more limitations.

Sit and wait with bait or cast lures.

I'm a shore guy, so it would take a lot of outings to determine the best spot from shore.

The guy I'm talking about just said bouncing a white jig, neither him nor I went into details. I should add he is a very experienced angler, never puts his boat away and fishes the upper and lower Niagara at least once a week.

18 minutes ago, verado said:

The guy I'm talking about just said bouncing a white jig, neither him nor I went into details. I should add he is a very experienced angler, never puts his boat away and fishes the upper and lower Niagara at least once a week.

Sounds like D.K. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 1:15 PM, genec said:

Since it looks like there is zero chance of local ice fishing this year, I decided to try shore fishing.  Yesterday morning I tried an early run to fish for pickerel in the Niagara river in Ft. Erie at the old Nichols marine site.  Normally I try using lures or plastics there, but yesterday decided to try with minnows.  However, after over 2 1/2 hours I hadn’t had a single bite.

I still had minnows left, so this morning decided to switch and try the north end of the rec canal for perch.  However, no bites again! 

I was out there as well.  
the camo Shamino boat