cleaning fish ?

smerchly

Just curious about what you guys use to clean your fish on.  I have a few of those 12" x 16" bamboo cutting boards that clean up very easy after cleaning perch , etc.

The boards are on sale now at C.T. for 80% off :rolleyes:, reg .49.99 + for $10+ . I paid $10 four yrs ago & $8 (on sale) 5 years ago . 

You can mark these boards off in inches to quickly measure as you clean . We use them daily for a cutting board and they stand up very well .

I used to clean fish on top of the old chest freezer with some newspaper for the guts while using the bamboo board but it's gone to heaven, so now I use the dryer (right beside the tubs)

Then I may freeze the wrapped guts until garbage day and toss them in the green bin . ....been doing this for decades !

My wife prefers me to clean pike outside as they send a strong 'fishy' odour throughout the house !  Otherwise ....the Wally haddock fillets .........  ;)

For years I used a piece of 3/4 plywood across my 2 sawhorses but when cleaning 30-40 perch it was hard on the back. Several years ago I bought one of those fish cleaning tables with the sink that Bass Pro and CTC sell. I never use the sink, I bought it for the comfortable working height. When removing the skin from my fillets I still put them on an old cutting board because a gutter trough runs around the perimeter of the table and is completely in the way for this operation. The gutter sounds like a good idea but it is useless, leading me to believe the person who designed it has probably not cleaned many fish.  

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Just curious about what you guys use to clean your fish on.  I have a few of those 12" x 16" bamboo cutting boards that clean up very easy after cleaning perch , etc.

The boards are on sale now at C.T. for 80% off :rolleyes:, reg .49.99 + for $10+ . I paid $10 four yrs ago & $8 (on sale) 5 years ago . 

You can mark these boards off in inches to quickly measure as you clean . We use them daily for a cutting board and they stand up very well .

I used to clean fish on top of the old chest freezer with some newspaper for the guts while using the bamboo board but it's gone to heaven, so now I use the dryer (right beside the tubs)

Then I may freeze the wrapped guts until garbage day and toss them in the green bin . ....been doing this for decades !

My wife prefers me to clean pike outside as they send a strong 'fishy' odour throughout the house !  Otherwise ....the Wally haddock fillets .........  ;)

I bought 2 of those same cutting boards from CTire this week. They look good for $10. Not too thick with the nice rubber corners. I use my work bench for the height, couple cutting boards, and my electric knife

They have held up well and look nice with the wood grain finish and rubber corners .  We have chopped a lot of veggies on those boards .

I'll grab another one if I go there after Christmas .  oops  its' 18" long.....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vida-by-paderno-bamboo-cutting-board-non-slip-12-in-x-18-in-1428365p.html#df  

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I use our glass cutting board on the kitchen counter hahaha. 

and who cleans up the mess in the kitchen Tyler ?  

Just now, genec said:

Got an old square plexiglas patio table I jeep out behind my shed that is my cleaning table - hoses off really easy afterward. 

when I cleaned fish outside the yellow jackets would buzz me and get on the fish , so I headed to the basement .

Wifes laundry room in the basement, I built the counter top high enough for my back filleting. 

The board I bought years ago from Berkley that they don't make anymore, nylon board. wish they would make them again.

This is my Grandson , filleting his first fish teaching him.

Wife asked me why I built the cabinets higher, didn't want to tell her.🤐🤐😀

IMG_4517.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

67423462591__D4EA53BC-5108-400C-8AD2-6FDBB7361954.JPG

6 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Wifes laundry room in the basement, I built the counter top high enough for my back filleting. 

I now use the washing machine FF . It sits right beside the laundry tubs . I do likewise with the board & newspaper .

We have a couple of 1/2" thick fiber cutting boards  , but they are too soft and a bugger to clean properly. & 

are now used to block the furnace wall vents in some rooms . 

deetch....  those yellow jackets would find me very quickly if I cleaned fish while shore fishing .  On some of our moose trips , we would clean up a bunch of perch or walleye while sitting in the tinny using a paddle for a cleaning board .  

I was checking my minnows in the unheated garage & they are all doing fine . I turned the light out which heats the water during the cold days as the tropical temps move in this week . I served lunch for them today as I do every 2 days . 

And I cleaned out the bottom 'dirt' using a 20' piece of old hose for a siphon.

Minnows  lunch.JPG

Minnows in tank.JPG