2024 fishing season

Tyler0420

What’s everyone’s plans for this season? Any trips planned? Doing anything out of the ordinary? Targeting new species?

-this year I plan on fishing the salmon durbys quite a bit. (Boat and kayak)

-get out more for Erie walleye kayaking. 

-spring catts on the grand kayaking. 
- fish some new lakes in the area I’ll be moving to. 
-of course Carp fish 

St.Catharines will be hosting the world regatta this summer so I expect to have a few more opportunities to fish the Gibson/ 12 Mile/ Port Dalhousie/ Martindale system for bass/pike/carp  as the system will be at low tide for a week or so and all within a 5 km drive.  

Hoping for an early spring since ice fishing went for a Krapp .   :Gonefishing:

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

What’s everyone’s plans for this season? Any trips planned? Doing anything out of the ordinary? Targeting new species?

-this year I plan on fishing the salmon durbys quite a bit. (Boat and kayak)

-get out more for Erie walleye kayaking. 

-spring catts on the grand kayaking. 
- fish some new lakes in the area I’ll be moving to. 
-of course Carp fish 

Definitely want to kayak the Grand more in search of a giant cats... since the spot I normally would go to on the 12 is overrun by the homeless. Launch out of Port Maitland.  

Then when trout opens and I like to hit up the streams for brookies until Pike opens. 

So far, I have a week off in July that I will more than likely do a backcountry trip couple lakes in somewhere. Also toying with staying at a cabin on Rice Lake in the October for some fishing/relaxing for a few days before continuing on to Quebec possibly.  Other than that,no other trips planed. 

And truthfully, my brother has been getting into the carp fishing. I may join him for some of that in the spring.

Hope to target the Grand more this summer in my kayak for pickerel if we don't get all the rains like last summer.

And Lake Erie for smallmouth when the season opens.

Would also like to take the yak north on a day trip once or twice to try some inland lakes.

I may also end up buying a trailer for my kayak, as I’m finding it harder to get an 82 Lb kayak on the roof rack of my Cherokee (just one more joy of aging) 🥴

10 minutes ago, genec said:

Hope to target the Grand more this summer in my kayak for pickerel if we don't get all the rains like last summer.

And Lake Erie for smallmouth when the season opens.

Would also like to take the yak north on a day trip once or twice to try some inland lakes.

I may also end up buying a trailer for my kayak, as I’m finding it harder to get an 82 Lb kayak on the roof rack of my Cherokee (just one more joy of aging) 🥴

If you go north with the yak, what do you plan on targeting and how far north are you talkin'? 

23 minutes ago, honeyv said:

my brother has been getting into the carp fishing. I may join him for some of that in the spring.

Now that’s a bro I wish I had :) 
we should meet up for kayaking spring catts. Have you ever done it?

id love to get out to rice lake. If you not targeting carp mainly atleast leave some rods out at night (make sure to have bite alarms.)

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Now that’s a bro I wish I had :) 
we should meet up for kayaking spring catts. Have you ever done it?

id love to get out to rice lake. If you not targeting carp mainly atleast leave some rods out at night (make sure to have bite alarms.)

He is a brother I wouldn't trade for anything. Bit of a smart-ass sometimes, but all good brotherly fun lol. 

Tried for cats from the kayak last year, but I'll be honest. I gotta work on the yak a bit for the Grand and get an anchor system for the or else you're drifting. The trolling motor will help getting to spots, but I want to be more stationary. The other thing too, is that I was using the wrong weights for the grand... But I did grab some catfish rigs with 2oz weights from Grand River Outdoors... I used them on the 12 and they produced. 

Let me know when you go Tyler, If I'm off I'd be down.   

1 minute ago, honeyv said:

anchor system for the or else you're drifting

I bought an anchor pole mount from Navarre kayaking and going to get the yak attack pole. Might not hold up in strong current but should work well for sitting in a back Eddie or light current. 

also I want to try drifting for catts. I can peddle backwards to slow down my drift or maybe get a drift sock. 

I’ll stay in touch …

14 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

For Carp and cats, I really just fish for them using my oldest and cheapest rods. I dont have all that carp specific gear and the rod just lays there on the groud propped up with a Y twig or a small bush. Carolina Rig with a circle hook and I find white bread or corn works well. Definitelynot half the carp pro you are lol

4 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Might not hold up in strong current but should work well for sitting in a back Eddie or light current. 

also I want to try drifting for catts. I can peddle backwards to slow down my drift or maybe get a drift sock. 

Ah yeah, I dont have a pedal Kayak. Just a simple Pelican Catch 120 (Want to upgrade, but if she ain't broke...). It's fited with a trolling motor. There's some back eddys that I sat in last year not too far from the Port Maitland launch. Nice n Shallow. Your poles would work in those spots.     

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ll give ya permission to fish 3 days a week Bruce :)

any trips planned out west this year?

No run out west.  Horwood again this summer and maybe eastern Ontario

On 2/14/2024 at 7:25 AM, bigugli said:

My goal is 2 days of fishing per week. If the bosses will let me?

George will let you go fishing with one stipulation .......   :Gonefishing:

And  btw , this 3 day weekend is free for everyone , no license needed. 

This was in the Standard today showing ice huts but I think Valens fishing will be by boat this weekend .....

Screenshot 2024-02-15 152502.jpg

Probably get the spey out soon for steelhead I hope. Then Lake O shoreline should start for Browns end of March. Will be in Cuba mid April  for vacation with Bones and Barracuda...Then out to Cape Cod beginning of June for Stripers..Then off to Buckhorn for family vacation and Bass opener...Back to Lake Erie kayak and the Grand wading for the rest of the summer....And I'm sure some fishing in between 😆

9 hours ago, Dave said:

Probably get the spey out soon for steelhead I hope. Then Lake O shoreline should start for Browns end of March. Will be in Cuba mid April  for vacation with Bones and Barracuda...Then out to Cape Cod beginning of June for Stripers..Then off to Buckhorn for family vacation and Bass opener...Back to Lake Erie kayak and the Grand wading for the rest of the summer....And I'm sure some fishing in between 😆

Sounds like a great year Dave. Are you shore fishing browns?

I’ll be getting my boat out of storage in early April. I’ll starting off with some early season trolling for browns and salmon fromJordan and the Niagara Bar. Heading over to Roatan for some warm weather and to try bonefishing and tarpon with fly rod. Looking forward to salmon and walleye on Lake Ontario and Erie also some bass fishing on Erie and a great spot I know in Lake Ontario. Heading to Abaco Bahamas in late fall with some fly fishing friends to fish for bonefish and enjoy some beach time. Going to be a great year. 

1 hour ago, Flyfisher said:

I’ll be getting my boat out of storage in early April. I’ll starting off with some early season trolling for browns and salmon fromJordan and the Niagara Bar. Heading over to Roatan for some warm weather and to try bonefishing and tarpon with fly rod. Looking forward to salmon and walleye on Lake Ontario and Erie also some bass fishing on Erie and a great spot I know in Lake Ontario. Heading to Abaco Bahamas in late fall with some fly fishing friends to fish for bonefish and enjoy some beach time. Going to be a great year. 

Sounds like a fisherman’s dream. 

44 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

44 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Yes I had a bad year last year with some health issues that kept me from fishing but this year I’m hoping to make up for it. I haven’t been out fly fishing for quite a few years and I got an invitation to join some friends for bone fish. Never been before. So it will be a first for me. I did a bit of saltwater fly fishing in Florida for snook which was fun but am looking forward to getting back into it. I bought a boat when I retired and have been really into trolling for salmon trout and walleye. Time to dust off the fly gear and practice some casting.