Do You Clean Your Fishing Spots?

FishGuy3754

Do You Clean Your Fishing Spots?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Clean Your Fishing Spots?

• Yes
    • No
    • I only clean after myself

Random thing I wanted to check with other anglers. I know what with Covid no one wants to touch things outside currently, but in general,

How many people clean up their area or surrounding area while they are out fishing?

I wanted to check cause almost every fishing spot no matter where it is seems to be littered with drink bottles/cans and timmies/fast food wrappers. Also there always seems to be an abundance of leftover line just littering most spots.

My friends and I try to clean up the area and usually end of bringing a bag of garbage to throw out later. Does anyone clean up their fishing spots while they are there or before they leave?

We are always picking up stuff here and there, but not to the volume that I have to buy additional garbage tags to dispose of the waste. I do, however, pick up a few thousand bottles and cans that I recycle. It takes 30 pop cans to make 1 lb.

good thing about carping is i don't have to sit and watch my rod so in the meantime i clean up some garbage if i have a bag with me if not ill toss some line or a few cups in my tackle bag. just last night i was fishing local i thought next time i come out ill clean up the shore lines, just maybe the fish gods will reward me.

12 minutes ago, FishGuy3754 said:

Random thing I wanted to check with other anglers. I know what with Covid no one wants to touch things outside currently, but in general,

How many people clean up their area or surrounding area while they are out fishing?

I wanted to check cause almost every fishing spot no matter where it is seems to be littered with drink bottles/cans and timmies/fast food wrappers. Also there always seems to be an abundance of leftover line just littering most spots.

My friends and I try to clean up the area and usually end of bringing a bag of garbage to throw out later. Does anyone clean up their fishing spots while they are there or before they leave?

i wonder if my city would provide me with one of those claw garbage picker up things.

1 minute ago, fishingking said:

Yes I have cleaned up some garbage at a few spots ...one time I went on a Saturday and cleaned up when I left and on Wednesday went back and it was littered again...pisses me off !

a local lake i fish for carp is on a back road with some run down factories, people pull off the side of the road empty their cars out. i know the lake is a $h%t hole but we don't have to make it worse.

the one time there was 20 large timmies cups double cupped with probably 20 of the same smoke packs, that's one long outing or someone cleaned their car out.

Always pick up after myself and then some....have often brought garbage bags when fishing the Niagara glen and took some time on the way back up the path to clean up....biggest culprits...timmies cups and water bottles...I'm also a smoker but my butts go in my pocket...a little effort goes a long way for sure

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

my butts go in my pocket...a little effort goes a long way for sure

Don't get me started ....  

....???...rest of my post disappeared ....

watch for needles....

Maybe we need to buy a bunch of these things and hire some people to clean up  our cities and parks .

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/niagara-region/2020/07/09/photo-cleaning-up-wellands-recreational-canal-trail.html

I always bring my carp bait in grocery bags, usually empty them chumming and clean up my site I’m setup at. Sometimes its really frustrating to see that if I fish the same spots few nights apart the garbage appears in abundance that I just can’t seem to keep up. 

46 minutes ago, DNorton said:

just can’t seem to keep up. 

Too many entitled slobs out there .....society in general had gone downhill over the decades .

Hire as many people as needed to keep places clean , add to the tax bill ....I'd rather pay more than see our environment turned into a dump site .

Anyone know what the trash situation is like in New York State , e,g,  ?  I hear their parks are kept clean ....(chain gangs lol)  ?

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

Too many entitled slobs out there .....society in general had gone downhill over the decades .

Hire as many people as needed to keep places clean , add to the tax bill ....I'd rather pay more than see our environment turned into a dump site .

Anyone know what the trash situation is like in New York State , e,g,  ?  I hear their parks are kept clean ....(chain gangs lol)  ?

Public park parking lots have trash on them. Garbage cans are there, but piggies open their car door and put garbage on ground. Too lazy and selfish to walk over. These are same type who bring in coffee cups into store and leave on shelf.

Noticing more face masks and gloves in shoreline garbage too. 😕🤢

They should put a deposit on timmies cups....then the shopping cart pushing...bicycle riding trailer pulling overnight cleanup crew can line up in the morning and cash them in.. 🤣🤪...the government can cash in on it if they let them sort them all out in the beer store parkinglot🤔😂

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Anyone know what the trash situation is like in New York State ,

I fish a few rivers in the states and most of them river have garbage cans around and not overflowing. The states do a few things better then we do when it comes to fishing but that’s about it.  

Most of our garbage comes from plastic materials ....single serve containers, etc.,  .. and yes, butts too . There are some who don't toss their butts anywhere they please and the others should not complain about the garbage .It would help to make all cigs without filters ....  My two kids wore cloth diapers and their crap went down the toilet . How many millions of crappy "disposable" ones go to the dump now every day ?....just one example of the garbage produced in today's mass produced throw away society . 

I'll pick up line and that's about it .....cannot reason with pigs .

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Most of our garbage comes from plastic materials ....single serve containers, etc.,  .. and yes, butts too . There are some who don't toss their butts anywhere they please and the others should not complain about the garbage .It would help to make all cigs without filters ....  My two kids wore cloth diapers and their crap went down the toilet . How many millions of crappy "disposable" ones go to the dump now every day ?....just one example of the garbage produced in today's mass produced throw away society . 

I'll pick up line and that's about it .....cannot reason with pigs .

I'm with you Smerch....I'd maybe pick up some line so an animal, pet or child doesn't get caught in it but that's as far as it goes for me. I haven't shore fished in years so I don't get to see the shore mess like others do. However, when i am fishing in the boat and reel up a rats nest of someone else's  line,  I will bunch it up to throw out later. 

If you think the garbage dumping is bad now, wait till the fall when you are allowed garbage service every other week.  The winter won't be a big deal, but I can tell you in the summer I don't want stuff sitting in my garage for two weeks.

I don't shore fish either so I don't normally see much of this but I have picked up line and bait containers while out on the lake. One thing I am seeing more of is people who have cleaned their catch then dumping all the heads and guts in the garbage pail at the launch ramp. These pails are in a high traffic area and they soon stink to high heaven and attract swarms of wasps. I would think it would be better to dump them in the lake away from used areas and let the crabs, fish and gulls take care of them. As for myself, I use my own garbage disposal, but this fall when we go to once every two week garbage pick up, I just might package them up and drop them in the can at the steps of city hall.

Always. There has been many times that all I do is clean up while the rod and tackle stay in the truck......................Daniel

I picked up a pile of broken glass from a booze bottle last year . I didn't want to have little kids being cut as the glass was under a shade tree where I set my chair to fish there . It took ten minutes to carefully pick up all the little shards of glass . Trashidiots !

I always check for fishing line, for the sake of my dogs and other animals, and move it out of the way. I'm not there to clean up someone's else 's mess.

:Gonefishing:

Archived