Local Marina

smerchly

My neighbour informed me about this place in Thorold  ( Hartzel Marine)where they have boat/motor supplies , boat/auto mechanics , and they are a Tohatsu /Legend dealer .  My 50 Merc 4 stk. needs an oil-filter change  so it's good to know they are close by......and 100 meters up the street ...a Beer Store  !    ;)

Has anyone used their services or bought supplies there ? 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/HartzelMarine/reviews/?ref=page_internal 

I'll stop by the marina when I'm fishing that way at Gibby . I'd rather buy from the smaller shops than places like B.P.

Get to know the people as we do at local tackle shops to get the best honest service as I do with my auto shop .   

Funny ....my son in law has been working right beside that marina for many years !   

2 hours ago, shoemaker said:

They opened as a marina pretty much after Nicholls closed. 

The Beacon Marina closed before that and also sold Tohatsu motors after Merc went to China . 

I don't know if Claude or John are still working as mechanics somewhere .these days . 

I would buy a Tohatsu in a NYM !  

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

The Beacon Marina closed before that and also sold Tohatsu motors after Merc went to China . 

I don't know if Claude or John are still working as mechanics somewhere .these days . 

I would buy a Tohatsu in a NYM !  

Claude and John serviced my boat until they closed up. I thought that they retired but could be wrong. I believe that all Mercs 30hp and under are actually made by Tohatsu of Japan, rebranded as Mercs and 40hp to 60hp Mercs are made in China. That would be enough reason for me not to buy a Merc outboard just out of principal.

My 50 Merc 4 stk is a 2005 , must be the last of the big block design . I certainly wouldn't buy another 50 China-merc when there are other options from Etec to Yamaha  .  But these days we don't know where half the parts are made as manufacturers go global to get the cheapest labour -energy-tax breaks etc.

I believe Tahotsu is owned by Nissan and have been around for many years . Parts availability would be a concern when buying motors .....

For the amount of boaters in the Niagara area we don't have a lot of choice . C & J Marine is gone (Beacon) and Nichols shut down and we only have Port Weller Marina and St.Catharines Marina left in our area . There certainly is a lot of boats needing service and repairs . I took my boat to Colautti Marine in Welland  on Wiilodell Rd. They did some work on my cables and gear box , prompt and reasonable price.  I'm mainly looking to buy oils ,  lubes ,plugs , oil filters ,etc. and having a local dependable mechanic when needed. When I'm at Quinte there are a couple of marine places that are recommended  by locals .  Also nice to have a well established place where you may get some used parts . Thanks for the replies gents .

2 hours ago, DNorton said:

Contacted them numerous times about getting a boat earlier in the season with no response. That’s the only input I have on the matter. Goodluck with the engine though. 

Is that Hartzel Marine you are referring to ? 

Yesterday , I heard John from C & J Marine works there ? 

I have a 2009 Mercury 4-stroke and do my own oil changes...   you can go to the Fram website and cross reference the filter code and then all you need is (at least for mine) 3 liters of 10-30.  I have been using Castrol for years. On mine the drain plug is on the passenger side as is the filter.  You can get some bigger vice grips to twist the filter off.  

Ditto for the spark plugs, the Champions in the manual for mine are available at Canadian Tire (I think) or else you can cross-reference on Spark plug cross reference (sparkplug-crossreference.com)

As a note, I am a mechanics best friend but I have been doing this since I bought the boat new in 2009.  Good luck!