New tax 4 us ?

smerchly

I hope this doesn't make it through parliament , but they have to power to do it . 

A 4 figure eco tax may hit us who drive larger suv's & pickups .  We already pay 13 % + on a new truck ....or a used one . 

Will they apply this to used vehicles as well ?  Probably . 

Buying new for me is out of the question ,so I hope to keep old "Betsy" on the road as long as I can still drive . 

Those long fishing trips can get very costly , looks like our trailer at Quinte is going be up for sale next month .

https://torontosun.com/news/national/trudeau-liberals-consider-four-figure-suv-tax-to-reduce-emissions

I guess the carbon taxes aren't enough. The spending, subsequent taxes and social engineering will only escalate. What the Liberals are doing to to our great country is going to be disastrous and I'm afraid potentially irreversible, if allowed to continue much longer.🤬😪

I'm not sure about the new trucks , but I remember my old truck getting 15 miles to the gallon . I think it's double that now with new technology . I could get 20 mpg out of my old 90 full size Beauville van ....could take 8 people to split the gas . some of the guys here will remember the trips to "Crystal Beach Trailer Park"  We have come a long way in fuel efficiency for our trucks.  I'm lucky to have so many fishing holes from 1 km to 10 km.from home .

I think the days of regular working class people being able to afford pickup trucks is gone. I have a 2014 F150 that I'll drive into the grave. I cant afford 70k for a new truck, and if the liberals start taxing trucks and SUVs it will be even more difficult. The end goal of the liberals is to have everyone eventually driving electric vehicles, and/or  little fuel efficient cars. This country is going down the toilet fast. 

2 minutes ago, Darryl L said:

everyone eventually driving electric vehicles, and/or  little fuel efficient cars. 

EV's aren't what they are made out to be . There's a post here about all the energy and chemicals that are needed to produce E.V's If they come up with a better power source than those huge $$$ batteries that do more harm than fossil fuels , they might have a better alternative than gasoline/diesel . 

We are already seeing the results of higher gas & diesel prices as seen in the costs of our bread & butter .

Our vehicles cost more now as they are equipped with more pollution controls from the engines , cat.converters & cleaner fuel .

In my younger days we used leaded gas and it went straight out the tail pipe .

Big city buses pass by my house hourly and many times I see one person on the bus and he's driving ....  other times up to 3-4 passengers .

For those who think we can control the climate by all these government controls , I hope to see some positive results soon . 

I believe most of us here get plenty of 'fresh' air enjoying our outdoor activities  (vitamin D) which helps keep us healthy .  

(waiting to go fishing today ....but ma nature is in a pissy mood , raining quite heavy here with gusty winds.  :unsure: .....but warmer for a change ...

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

We are already seeing the results of higher gas & diesel prices as seen in the costs of our bread & butter .

Our vehicles cost more now as they are equipped with more pollution controls from the engines , cat.converters & cleaner fuel .

In my younger days we used leaded gas and it went straight out the tail pipe .

Big city buses pass by my house hourly and many times I see one person on the bus and he's driving ....  other times up to 3-4 passengers .

For those who think we can control the climate by all these government controls , I hope to see some positive results soon . 

I believe most of us here get plenty of 'fresh' air enjoying our outdoor activities  (vitamin D) which helps keep us healthy .  

(waiting to go fishing today ....but ma nature is in a pissy mood , raining quite heavy here with gusty winds.  :unsure: .....but warmer for a change ...

Pack light smerch. 1 rod a couple lures and a rain suit. 
I’m  trying to work but every hf/hr it starts to rain. I’m soon going to call it a day and go fish. 

My biggest concern about buying an EV - nobody states how long the batteries will last in them, or how much it will cost to replace them when they do need replacing!  I’m betting you are looking at mega bucks to replace them.

My first Cherokee lasted 16 years, and my current one is a 2009 and still in great shape…no body rust, just clearcoat peeling on bumper … intend to drive it till it dies!

I always find it ironic that the very people supporting the road infrastructure (by way of fuel taxes) are the ones being penalized for driving on them.
The mto even allows special express lane service for ev’s who pay no road tax to support the upkeep of those roads.
I wonder how, in a world where, say, 50 % of the population drives ev’s, they expect those roads to be maintained?

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Pack light smerch. 1 rod a couple lures and a rain suit. 
I’m  trying to work but every hf/hr it starts to rain. I’m soon going to call it a day and go fish. 

I cancelled out today Ty .....wanted to get out by 9  till noonish but it was already very windy and raining hard . Winds are pickup up , supposed to hit 90 k this afternoon . One spot I was going to try is treed heavily so not a good idea to fish under those half eaten trees by the beavers.....I vill be back !

28 minutes ago, genec said:

nobody states how long the batteries will last in them, or how much it will cost to replace them

We pay an 'eco' fee for an AAA battery which weighs about 1 oz.  How much will the fee be  on a 1000 lb. $5000 battery ?  :rolleyes:

Markster ....I think they will go with road tolls  that hits us twice , or a "kilometer" fee . ... like $10 per 1000 km. They will not lose money on millions of ev 's . Maybe easier to "adjust" out electric bills . It's all bs.  

My  97 Astro has this gadget called an "alternator" which charges my battery as I drive . What a novel idea !   :)

Well ....it was nice to get $480 today for the license plate stickers . Yahoo !  That should pay for my lawnmower gas this year !  That's a lot of pesos not being collected by the gov't. ..... I wonder how they will get the money back ....by saving the cost of printing those stickers , of course !   

They send out checks, so off to the bank to get some free loot !   B)

9 hours ago, Markster said:

I always find it ironic that the very people supporting the road infrastructure (by way of fuel taxes) are the ones being penalized for driving on them.
The mto even allows special express lane service for ev’s who pay no road tax to support the upkeep of those roads.
I wonder how, in a world where, say, 50 % of the population drives ev’s, they expect those roads to be maintained?

Food for thought.  An EV because of the battery often weighs much more than a similar sized vehicle, so which is going to put more wear and tear on the road.

31 minutes ago, Snags said:

Food for thought.  An EV because of the battery often weighs much more than a similar sized vehicle, so which is going to put more wear and tear on the road.

Well , they have decided to keep the speed of 110 km on the QEW , etc. Most vehicles will do 120 -130 which would make accidents more deadly with chain reactions . We may be seeing more "explosions" as ev's are rear ended and those huge batteries blow up . Also , isn't it a fact that higher speeds burn more gas per km ? My 6 cyl.van seems to be more fuel efficient at 100 km/hr. I really don't check 'kilometerage' these days .

22 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

You save about 20% in fuel by going 100 instead of 125

that's good to see..... I save 40 cents @ $2.00 per liter , plus get 5 cents off at C.T pumps .....I'll hang behind the trucks . 

Well ...wellwell ...Trudeau has dropped the carbon tax today !!  "Apparently" he went shopping for food and was 'amazed' at the high price of cheese !!

He took a 10 dollar bill but was short of cash to pay for it .....'they' said a customer may have paid the extra for him ....so he drops the tax !  

Only in Kanada can this happen  LOL !

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Well ...wellwell ...Trudeau has dropped the carbon tax today !!  "Apparently" he went shopping for food and was 'amazed' at the high price of cheese !!

He took a 10 dollar bill but was short of cash to pay for it .....'they' said a customer may have paid the extra for him ....so he drops the tax !  

Only in Kanada can this happen  LOL !

That had to be a joke because if he was out of money, he would just put it on “credit” until my great grandkids have to pay for it. 

Take note the $10 bill was used to get the cheese . SirJohn A has been 'cancelled' from the $10 and replaced by a politically correct woman from N.S. 

The new gas tax is really a joke on us ......( hasn't moved upward much today ....yet )

Watch the price of cheese go up now ....   ⤴️

10 minutes ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

Nice to read some news from western Canada . This is a well laid out paper on many subjects including the out doors stories .

There will be plenty of extra money to cover their fat raises , such as the hst on much higher priced 'everything' , and the new "enviro-tax" on our  vehicles .

Only one way to kill these taxes , at voting time  , but I'm not expecting to see much of a change . 

There goes my $480 I got from Ford yesterday .....    :dunno:    eezycum eezygo ...

17 hours ago, Snags said:

I would be more concerned about our health....

EMF Radiation Risks from Electric Cars

You cannot see the EMF radiation emitted by electronic devices, but repercussions in intense or long doses include cell damage, DNA fragmentation, fertility problems, and neurological effects that can lead to health disorders and behavioral issues.

• Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) EMF radiation emits from all electronic devices, originating from their batteries, parts and internal circuitry.
  • Radio Frequency (RF) EMF radiation, emits only from devices that have wireless connections. Think cellular phone service, Bluetooth, and WiFi.

ELF radiation emits at a lower frequency than RF radiation, but both can cause biological effects in humans and the environment.

The closer you are to the transmitter or battery in an electronic device, the more you are exposed to this radiation, and the more at risk you are of developing adverse health effects.

With electric cars, a big battery is being used close to your body, with electronic circuitry running around the edge of the cabin. This can expose you to increased amounts of ELF radiation.

Electric cars need to be plugged in and charged, just like any other rechargeable battery powered device. When charging, the EMF radiation emitted from the connection point is greater than the outdated ICNIRP standards of radiation levels