Archers got ripped off

Dan Andrews

I've certainly been putting the time in this year, but I haven't been seeing any shooters. I've got plenty of does and fawns and I've seen one small six-pointer out of range. There's a fork that begged me three times to kill it and I regret passing up now. Last year I plinked an eight-pointer on my second sit (Oct 6) and I had my choice of him or his twin. There were so many deer to choose from but not this year for some reason. 

This weekend us archers got ripped off for the weather. 7° c and I'm dressed for January and I'm wet and the deer are bedded down. Only three days this year have I not seen a deer while hunting and although I did not go out this morning, I'm expecting more of the same as I did yesterday. Tonnes of squirrels.and Bluejays. 

I can't hunt afterwork since the time change so after today I'm looking at 2 weeks off and that leaves only a couple weekends left. It sure would have been nice to get a little sunshine this weekend but that's hunting I guess. 

Good luck today. Your season temporarily ends at 5:12pm. 

Not seeing many deer in 90A either this year.

MNR claimed I didn't apply for gun hunt, so I’m crossbow only.

I have a doe tag, and saw 3 the first day out in the main bush, but brush too thick for a shot in their direction, but have been hunting the Grand River areas and seen no deer whatsoever for the last 4 times out, and no tracks either, which is totally unusual.  After this week’s gun hunt ends I’ll be back in the main bush again.

I hunt in Niagara on the Lake and everybody in that area is also complaining about the lack of deer. we have got a couple nice bucks so far but the amount of deer that we are seeing on the cameras are significantly less than the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Are you going out?

Oh ya getting ready now but the rain is supposed to return around 2. I found some new scrapes that are a good size so I'm guessing they just know where my usual set ups are. So going out around 12-1230 for a 5 hour sit. 

I have been seeing big bucks just not where I have permission and a buddy had plenty walking by but I wouldn't eat them from there. They are what they eat also so I don't hunt industrial areas. 

Any see the leaders for Erie tracker's contest this year? Wow that's all I can say. There are.some.massive registrants so far. 

27 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

NOTL population is increasing yearly, perhaps that has something to do with the lower numbers of deer spotted.

I'm not quite sure. We have multiple cameras spread out over the property and we have significantly less on cameras, and have seen far less while out hunting. 

I suppose this wet windy weather doesn't help get the deer moving . When I hunted moose we put the rain gear on and went fishing in crappy weather , except snow of course. There are many reasons for a decline in numbers as I have read  on Outdoors Ontario .  You can read the comments here plus more if signed in . Good luck guys , better days ahead .

https://www.oodmag.com/community/showthread.php?107834-Bye-Bye-2023-Deer-hunt

On 12/3/2023 at 8:29 AM, Dan Andrews said:

I've certainly been putting the time in this year, but I haven't been seeing any shooters. I've got plenty of does and fawns and I've seen one small six-pointer out of range. There's a fork that begged me three times to kill it and I regret passing up now. Last year I plinked an eight-pointer on my second sit (Oct 6) and I had my choice of him or his twin. There were so many deer to choose from but not this year for some reason. 

This weekend us archers got ripped off for the weather. 7° c and I'm dressed for January and I'm wet and the deer are bedded down. Only three days this year have I not seen a deer while hunting and although I did not go out this morning, I'm expecting more of the same as I did yesterday. Tonnes of squirrels.and Bluejays. 

I can't hunt afterwork since the time change so after today I'm looking at 2 weeks off and that leaves only a couple weekends left. It sure would have been nice to get a little sunshine this weekend but that's hunting I guess. 

Good luck today. Your season temporarily ends at 5:12pm. 

It's too easy to pass up the does and small bucks at the beginning of the season. Just like going to a bar, everyone passes on the ugly girl at the beginning of the night but everyone is fighting over her at last call!

Ya it's been a rough go for me this season...I was swamped with work and made it out 3 times in October..November 5th I shot a small racked 8 point with a large body but it was a 32 yard shot with my compound...the deer dropped to load its legs  to bound away and nailed him in the front shoulder with an expandable broadhead and got 3 inches penetration...found arrow snapped off and 5 days later got a pic of the deer back on my camera...he's limping now pretty good I hope he makes it...I would've liked to have a couple wintery sits myself in December but not looking good ...pic of wounded buck and one of 3 I'm after...20231127_104917.jpg

Screenshot_20231124_205736_Messages.jpg

4 minutes ago, 410001661 said:

Tough hunt in 89B this year.  Managed to get a beautiful 14pter down the week before the controlled hunt but have not seen anything since then.

Oct 25 2023 buck1.JPG

Oct 25 2023 buck2.jpg

Beautiful deer. Congrats 

Well you gotter done! I've averaged 2 days per week including the weeks of shotgun (didn't hunt just added for stats). Saw a shooter today and 5 more yards and he would have been in the truck but he winded me and turned just on time. Dam NE wind