Massassauga Rattlesnakes

Wondering if anyone else was aware of the small population of Rattlesnake we have in the Wainfleet Bog. Was just reading up on a few articles. Pretty nifty. 

https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2017/05/brock-research-helps-reverse-rattlesnakes-death-rate/

12 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Interesting. Didn’t know we had them around here

Me either. Been in Naiagara almost half my life at this point and it's the first time hearing of them in the area. 

I have never seen one in Niagara but heard they were in the Niagara gorge years ago , maybe a few in there now ? I knew they are in the bog.

I saw a one at the French River near Hartley Bay 30+ years ago . It was hard to spot in the leaves at a camp spot on the Wanapitei River and one that was killed by the owner of rental cottages. Parry sound was known for rattle snakes and people were warned to be wary when picking blueberries. 

When we were teens while fishing the upper 12 we heard a high pitched scream coming from the stream . We saw this snake with a wide head and thought it was a cobra ! It was a big garter and had a frogs legs in it's mouth and the frog was screaming very loudly . We felt sorry for the frog and took dinner away from the snake . We are part of nature too , yes ?   🙃

22 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have never seen one in Niagara but heard they were in the Niagara gorge years ago , maybe a few in there now ? I knew they are in the bog.

I saw a one at the French River near Hartley Bay 30+ years ago . It was hard to spot in the leaves at a camp spot on the Wanapitei River and one that was killed by the owner of rental cottages. Parry sound was known for rattle snakes and people were warned to be wary when picking blueberries. 

When we were teens while fishing the upper 12 we heard a high pitched scream coming from the stream . We saw this snake with a wide head and thought it was a cobra ! It was a big garter and had a frogs legs in it's mouth and the frog was screaming very loudly . We felt sorry for the frog and took dinner away from the snake . We are part of nature too , yes ?   🙃

Oof... My brother and I used to have an old aquarium when we were kids. We would catch Garter Snakes and feed frogs and grass hoppers to them and then my dad would make us release them when he got home from work.  

Apparently the rattlesnakes are still in the Parry Sound area, but in all the backcountry canoe trips I've done on the crown land up that way, I never seen one myself. Still enough to check everything before getting in the sleeping bags though lol.

I have seen a baby Milk Snake in the gorge before on a hike. I might have to take a hike through the bog now. lol  

image.pngThis pic of a rattle snake was sent to me recently  , it was in the 12 mile creek  . The picture was takin by Fred Bowering , you might remember seeing a video of Fred in 2018 jumping in Rennie park water and saving a swan with a hook and line in its mouth !  Rattle snakes have been observed by family and friends in the Allanburg area for many years. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4718736

Massassauga rattlers have been in the wainfleet bog forever. As a kid, my mother and aunts used to pick blueberries there while my uncle stood guard with a .22. Over the last several years, a few have been spotted at our Crowland Trap Club on Misner Rd. I remember in the 70s-80s buying peat for the garden from a firm that operated next to the bog. I was warned by the operators that the odd customer had received a rattler in their load. Years ago we rented a cottage on 6 Mile Lake in Muskoka and the owners told us the rattlers were quite common in the area.  We saw one on the dirt road another just off the porch. Apparently they are endangered ( wouldn't bother me in the least) and there is a severe penalty for killing them. There is a sign in the 6 Mile Lake area that states a $30,000 fine for killing one.

16 hours ago, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

image.pngThis pic of a rattle snake was sent to me recently  , it was in the 12 mile creek  . The picture was takin by Fred Bowering , you might remember seeing a video of Fred in 2018 jumping in Rennie park water and saving a swan with a hook and line in its mouth !  Rattle snakes have been observed by family and friends in the Allanburg area for many years. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4718736

That's insane! I fish the 12 a fair bit for carp before Trout and Pike Open, I've never seen one. Although, I accidentally caught a watersnake reeling in once and that was pretty wild. 

Good for Fred for saving that Swan and that awesome photo! I'll have to be more weary bringing the dog out with me. 

5 hours ago, deetch said:

Correct Verado, the massassuga has been in the bog for years.  There are plenty of snakes down the whirlpool that can harm you also

Curious which ones? As far as I knew Ontario only had the Massassauga... but to be fair, I had no idea we had em' in Niagara... 

Some people mistake our milk snake for a rattler . Years ago my Rotti was barking at something in the back yard under the huge apple tree . It was a very large milk snake and its tail was vibrating like a rattle snake . I grabbed it behind the head , put in a 5 gal. pail and released it beside a creek in Pelham . It sure did look like a rattle snake ! 

Now I believe that big snake with the screaming frog in it's mouth (50+ yrs. ago) was a milk snake , not a garter . I fear water snakes more as they will bite and cause pain.

https://canadianherpetology.ca/species/species_page.html?cname=Eastern Milksnake

About 15 years ago I was fishing on Erie on a flat calm day about 2 miles out. I noticed a V in the water coming straight at me that turned out to be some kind of water snake. I had a 17' Lund at the time with a small rear boarding platform that was parallel to the water. That damn snake was determined it was crawling up on to my platform and I knocked it away several times with my paddle. It was very aggressive and kept coming back so I finally got the hell out of there.  Possibly, being that far from shore, it was tired or drowning but believe me, there is no room for snakes in my boat.

Hmm... I think there may be some photo shop involved in the "canadian creek rattlesnake" picture.??? 

We used to look for them down in the Gorge when we were fishing as teens but never found one. I've seen a few up around Honey Harbour at dusk hearing them well before seeing them which is good thing, they come out on the rocks so have to watch where you are walking. My wife almost stepped on a baby one a couple of years ago, I'm surprised she didn't get bit because she danced all around it a few laps while screaming before actually getting away from it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up around Mactier and 6 Mile Lake in the 60's, the Massassauga was commonplace.  I regret my uncle had a hand in killing off nests to protect my cousin.  My cousin was a permanent 2 year old. Every critter was a play thing. Snakes, bears, snappers. So every spring the uncle would go around the property blasting snake nests.

Funniest bit I remember about the snakes was watching a group of fool tourists.  They were standing in the middle of the highway with a camera tripod no more than two feet from a coiled Massassauga rattler.  I half hate to admit it, but I was hoping the snake would take a bite.

The tourons ( tourist morons) are now taking dumb pictures of bigger game.

However, one mama moose took care of a touron in Alaska trying to photograph her babies,

32 minutes ago, genec said:

The tourons ( tourist morons) are now taking dumb pictures of bigger game.

However, one mama moose took care of a touron in Alaska trying to photograph her babies,

T'is the era of 'have travel with smart phones' and movie star wannabes who want to be the first to post their 'report' on social media. I do not like having a phone camera shoved into my face . I'm surprised I haven't seen videos showing phones being eaten by ignorant people .... Times have changed ,unfortunately .

• 3 weeks later...