Trout opener

deetch

I would wager plenty of people will be going out for the opener ... just a matter of who will willingly admit it right away with how much public shaming seems to be the trend.

Opener on the east Lake O tribs seems to be the ones getting pressure for closures. Makes sense considering the sheer amount of people the runs attract from all over. Lots of lesser known creeks you could walk for miles and not see another person though.  I know I'll be out every day conditions co-operate. Also conservation areas seem to be regulating in accordance with the municipality they lie in. The ones my way are all still open to public. 

2 hours ago, deetch said:

I have a feeling that Thornbury, Medford and the Saugeen may be patrolled heavily

I was just reading that there is lots of pressure to close or postpone the opener for trout especially in locations such as you mentioned. I don’t think it will happen but people are putting pressure to make it happen.

Can anyone tell me if the pool, glenn or queenston are open to fishing? I heard something the steel stairs are closed?

In my opinion fishing should be either open or closed....this guessing is no good. And if its open it should be open everywhere...otherwise its just going to crowd out at the known open spots with no regard for distancing. The open and closed is so confusing. Im hearing parks are closed...with some people saying you can still fish, and others I have been told have been told to go home from police at an east golf course. So vague....the courts are going to be busy with this for sure later on.

Also hoping to catch some trout opener....plans to go where I know wont be anybody else around..

But there is some travel involved....as way too many posts state...the issues all seem to be in high traffic public access areas with parking...amenities ect...the problem isn't fishing...its every activity that involves the possibility to gather..whether it be a crowded parking access area or hanging out at a picnic table..we anglers are put out for sure...but not any more than the kids who want to kick around a ball or burn some energy on the swings..or someone who might want to crack open a picnic basket in the fresh air....we anglers are actually at a bit more of an advantage if you think about it....if you aren't reliant on being an internet armchair angler fishing around for someone else to tell you where to go, there are plenty of places that are "ok" to go..fingers crossed it works out in a couple weeks....you can see from last season..no parkinglot...no paths....no crowds...lol

20190510_093100.jpg

20190510_092202.jpg

20190510_122946.jpg

I usually fish the opener with my cousin on a tributary east of Toronto but unfortunately this year I’m staying inside, we used to fish a creek running through his friends private property and had a huge section of top prime water to ourselves but since the government bought most of the property it is now public land and sees a lot of traffic 👎👎👎 , so that’s a no-go for me, I’m hoping the opener for may long weekend means I’m able to get my canoe out and camp a bit, really getting the itch watching it on YouTube all day long

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

.no parkinglot...no paths....no crowds..

Where is that spot JW ....Baffin Island ?....    and to think back a few years ago (1950's)  we walked from here to the upper 12 Mile Creek ( boy scout camp) and caught brook trout . We would flip old cow paddies over and grab some "fresh" worms for our bait .

Now if I told you where that spot is I would have to find somewhere else...lol...I know other spots with the chance of running into another person being slim or next to none...but I really wanted to try that one first...and its alot of walking through some tough terrain to get there to just turn around..lol

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Also hoping to catch some trout opener....plans to go where I know wont be anybody else around..

But there is some travel involved....as way too many posts state...the issues all seem to be in high traffic public access areas with parking...amenities ect...the problem isn't fishing...its every activity that involves the possibility to gather..whether it be a crowded parking access area or hanging out at a picnic table..we anglers are put out for sure...but not any more than the kids who want to kick around a ball or burn some energy on the swings..or someone who might want to crack open a picnic basket in the fresh air....we anglers are actually at a bit more of an advantage if you think about it....if you aren't reliant on being an internet armchair angler fishing around for someone else to tell you where to go, there are plenty of places that are "ok" to go..fingers crossed it works out in a couple weeks....you can see from last season..no parkinglot...no paths....no crowds...lol

20190510_093100.jpg

20190510_092202.jpg

20190510_122946.jpg

Beautiful spot! Call me crazy but a feeling of peace came over me looking at those pics, at least until the dog starting barking at me to go out. Damn dog only has one volume! Now one of the kids started making a smoothie! Oh for some peaceful fishing.

3 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Oh for some peaceful fishing.

Ask JW for a gps way point  (  $100 bucks )  , then hire a chopper to drop you off  for a week .

Yes.....looking at those spots really does soothe the mind .....until reality kicks in  ( back to earth)   😈

25 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ask JW for a gps way point  (  $100 bucks )  , then hire a chopper to drop you off  for a week .

Yes.....looking at those spots really does soothe the mind .....until reality kicks in  ( back to earth)   😈

That was last may....if that's not "social distancing" I dont know what is..lol...not a soul..not a sign of anyone...absolutely no litter...no footprints...maybe the odd one from myself while taking a step and winding up jewels deep in a sink hole...lol...then stepping in the cold spring fed water only to find out it was a foot or so deeper than it looks to hide the trail and throw off the hounds..haha

Archived