Pike thread, post your pics of local Niagara pike

knightfisher

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well , the two pikateers were at it today !  The pike were really avoiding the canoe as they saw the smerch was there !!  The knightfisher hooked into a nice one on cast # 567  , a nice 26" er !  As I was approaching my 1000th cast after trying every lure in my arsenal , I finally hooked into one ....for a few seconds , and off it went (felt like a 20 lb.ski )

...still waiting for the shot I took for Mr. Knightfisher . ..... ( pike whisperer)  )   

Beauty day  , lots of wind , leaves on the water and beautiful colours !!

the pond fishing.jpg

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well , the two pikateers were at it today !  The pike were really avoiding the canoe as they saw the smerch was there !!  The knightfisher hooked into a nice one on cast # 567  , a nice 26" er !  As I was approaching my 1000th cast after trying every lure in my arsenal , I finally hooked into one ....for a few seconds , and off it went (felt like a 20 lb.ski )

...still waiting for the shot I took for Mr. Knightfisher . ..... ( pike whisperer)  )   

Beauty day  , lots of wind , leaves on the water and beautiful colours !!

the pond fishing.jpg

Do you guys eat the pike or just toss back? I was surprised this year at how much my wife and son liked the taste of pike while up at Nippising 

I eat some pike , they are very good eating , just need to clean them properly to rid of the "Y" bones on the sides . I have cut them into small pieces about 2 -3" and put them on the BBQ  either on a rack or kabobs with bacon ,etc. 

i like to eat them from 4-8 lbs the best .

44 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I eat some pike , they are very good eating , just need to clean them properly to rid of the "Y" bones on the sides . I have cut them into small pieces about 2 -3" and put them on the BBQ  either on a rack or kabobs with bacon ,etc. 

i like to eat them from 4-8 lbs the best .

When we went up to Nippising that was really all we were catching. Seem to be taking over up there. We all enjoyed them. Haven't fished much for them down here yet. 

Was nice on the water for sure. However, the gust of winds made for an interesting challenge controlling the sportspal from time to time.
Some of the white caps coming back from the grandstand area broke over the gunnels.
We pounded the various bays with our lures, but the pond for the  most part, refused to give up her bounty.
My bicep feels twice the size.
Was nice to get out with Smerch one last time before putting the canoe away.
Oh by the by, he forgot to mention the banana he brought on board....:tease:

:Gonefishing:

DSCN4230.JPG

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:
Was nice to get out with Smerch one last time before putting the canoe away.
Oh by the by, he forgot to mention the banana he brought on board....

I think it was after I ate the banana that I finally had a fish on the line !  It was a gorgeous day to be on the water , except for that wind . It will be nice when you install the new Lund seats Dan :rolleyes: .....my geezer legs are still numb ... 

Tyler .....the carp seem to like bananas , they look like a big corn ball to them .....

Time to dunk some of my 3" minnows under a float for more toothy  ones .....   :Gonefishing:

On 10/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, smerchly said:

time to dunk some of my 3" minnows under a float for more toothy  ones

Tried the large minnows and float rod today and the perch enjoyed my offerings  more .....

Pike ...zero .............Perch  4  .....this hungry dink nearly choked to death on the 4" minnow !!  lol

perch .minnow.jpg

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Tried the large minnows and float rod today and the perch enjoyed my offerings  more .....

Pike ...zero .............Perch  4  .....this hungry dink nearly choked to death on the 4" minnow !!  lol

perch .minnow.jpg

When I first looked at it I thought you caught a new species (gar perch).  No pike but better then a skunk. 

• 1 month later...
Afternoon pike hunt paid off.  Joe caught two at about 4 lbs, one pictured.

DSCN4244.JPG

Bill gave me this pattletail which I have never really used in the past.
It paid off with my 7 lb pike. Later I lost one and then landed another about 4lbs as well.

DSCN4241.JPG

DSCN4237.JPG

That's what we want to see , way to go you guys !  I have more of those soft baits Dan , actually bought them for trout lol

They don't seem to want live minnows , maybe they will hit a faster moving bait just for the hell of it ?

Now I know why the carp disappeared there haha ! 

Congrats !

On 12/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, smerchly said:

That's what we want to see , way to go you guys !  I have more of those soft baits Dan , actually bought them for trout lol

They don't seem to want live minnows , maybe they will hit a faster moving bait just for the hell of it ?

Now I know why the carp disappeared there haha ! 

Congrats !

None of my other lures were getting any attention Bill.  I have used your bait twice a few weeks back, but no luck. Not totally sure how to use it, so I cast it, let it hit bottom and pull it back stopping to make sure it stays on or near bottom.  Not sure when she picked it up, on the fall or retrieve, but thought at first I had snagged some weeds. Then she fought. As far as live bait, hard to say. Joe caught both of his pike on dead chubs. I had one on a smelt, got off, and then used a chub as well for my second one.

Couple weeks back couple of guys were using live minnows and caught 3 pike. So you just never know. When the pike are around most other fish seem to disappear. 

A few years ago I had access to a chub pond and the pike seemed to like them over minnows ....maybe because they were so lively and had a different scent .  There are so many baits to try maybe try a teaspoon  next trip !  :Gonefishing: 

I seem to remember the Knightspoon Co.Inc...... selling spoons for $14.99  , about 10 -11 years ago ....

Oh , here we are .....check out the old Photobucket  photos too ......  

https://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/topic/17692-designed-a-new-lure-patent-pending/?tab=comments#comment-141062

We gave the pike another run today at Port Dal . but Pepi got us again !  We tried a few spots where we usually have some luck . The first thing I noticed was swarms of minnows in front of us .....bad sign ??  After 2 hours of twitching our floats ...no pike , but I did hook two 6" gizzard shad on my minnow/hook !  The pike  have tons of bait fish to fatten up for winter !  Looks like I might have to follow the "red Jeep" again !!!    I'll give you 2 FREE dead shad for cut bait ?   :santa:

Winter solstice arriving today was a day celebration for Joe and I.
Happy that daylight hours will now be getting longer, we decided
to bring the day in with some meal size pike.
Not to be disappointed, we both got one and lost one.

DSCN4249.JPG

DSCN4250.JPG

Yes Tyler, the pike are fattening up for sure.
Winter pike are not very aggressive and tend to be lazier.
The last few times out, slow presentation has been the key for us.
When ice fishing for them, I guess you can't get much slower than that.
The current temps are not that bad, but the added winds make it tough
being out there for any length of time without any shelter.
:Gonefishing: