Pike thread, post your pics of local Niagara pike

knightfisher

Fishing Port Dal. again today , west side , no current but tried some worms with a spinner , no luck except a nice preggo perch . So I rigged up the other rod with a swim bait . Third cast got me a hit and a scrappy pike, so I thought I would revive the pike thread to start the season off . It was  4 lbs. 13 oz. with the 4" 'bass inside it's gut . Nice day but the north wind was cold near the lake .

Rennie pike Mar.8.jpg

Rennie perch Mar .8.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice session smerch. Some good eats

It's pike for dinner tonight .  Three weeks left to catch'em  ,then time to target the whiskered gals . 

I used this heavy flat bellied swimbait for this pike ...good thing I used a steel leader as it swallowed it down the hatch .

pike swim bait.jpg

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

It's pike for dinner tonight .  Three weeks left to catch'em  ,then time to target the whiskered gals . 

I used this heavy flat bellied swimbait for this pike ...good thing I used a steel leader as it swallowed it down the hatch .

pike swim bait.jpg

I’ve never used steel leaders. If I targeted them I’d probably go with 20lb fluro

18 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ve never used steel leaders. If I targeted them I’d probably go with 20lb fluro

I also prefer the floro for a leader and have never lost a pike with it . The steel leader seems to work ok when the water is a little brackish . I'll make up a few floro jobs for the next pike session , don't need much gear when tossing swim baits .And I didn't take my net for that pike ,just slid it out on the flat bank. 

It was very tasty , my wife did it in the oven with Greek feta dressing & oregano & bacon . The pike would be proud . And Miss Perchy joined her mates to tend to her family ....  ☺️

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 6:52 PM, smerchly said:

I also prefer the floro for a leader and have never lost a pike with it . The steel leader seems to work ok when the water is a little brackish . I'll make up a few floro jobs for the next pike session , don't need much gear when tossing swim baits .And I didn't take my net for that pike ,just slid it out on the flat bank. 

It was very tasty , my wife did it in the oven with Greek feta dressing & oregano & bacon . The pike would be proud . And Miss Perchy joined her mates to tend to her family ....  ☺️

You do realise that "brackish" means a mixture of fresh water and saltwater? It doesn't exist in Niagara.

I didn't know that  , thanks for informing me . There's a thousand more words regarding technology and slang words that I have no idea of what it means . My very English granny might have used the word 'brackish' while sipping her tea :)

Screenshot 2024-04-04 124519.jpg

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I didn't know that  , thanks for informing me . There's a thousand more words regarding technology and slang words that I have no idea of what it means . My very English granny might have used the word 'brackish' while sipping her tea :)

Screenshot 2024-04-04 124519.jpg

Don’t worry smerch. I’m sure most of us knew what you meant.