Pike thread, post your pics of local Niagara pike

knightfisher

Thanks for your remarks guys ,  it's great to be able to share our days catch on a fishing site like this with like minded anglers like me who love being outdoors at the water holes .

I did the 5 fillet method as usual and put some away in the freezer for the " kebobs" Scott !  We had a fresh chicken today , and tomorrows deep fried pike & chips dinner. (need to get the veggies for the kebobs)

I liked using the Slurpies , they can be cast afar & the tail action seems to attract them well .....haven't used them for years. A trip to the River may be in the cards "after the big wind"  :Gonefishing:

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

Took the long rods for about 2 hrs. today , using swim baits for a change while my ice rods weep ...

But it was worth going to Port D. as it is such a fine day ....got a little breezy when I left. 

Water is still murky ,about 18" viz......

I missed the first fish ...about a 3 second run & off it went . About 10 min.later I hooked a good one .....

It felt very heavy but it gave up the fight after about two minutes & a couple of short runs before a young 

fellow netted it for me .... 

Stats.....  9 lbs. 5 oz.,  and  33 inches 

Inside story......2 smelts , 6 minnows   and preggo .  

Great catch! 

On 2/15/2023 at 9:12 PM, knightfisher said:

Nice pike Bill. Some good eats for sure.

First meal from it was tasty as usual  (bread crumbs , oil) ...went back yesterday and they had lockjaw , notta sniff .

Looking at the package with the 4" Slurpies I bought them about 4 years ago at the Dollar Store for 2 bucks.

...bought 3 pcks ! :wub:  ... 

This is the one that hooked the pike  .....they sit flat on the bottom which has less chance of snagging up . They prob.weigh close to 1 oz. 

Slurpies.JPG

You gave me one of those a few years back Bill, and I caught a nice pike at Gibby on it. Not my usual choice, but that one produced, just a different kind of presentation that I need more practice on.

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:

You gave me one of those a few years back Bill, and I caught a nice pike at Gibby on it. Not my usual choice, but that one produced, just a different kind of presentation that I need more practice on.

The presentatation is similar to how JWL uses the 6" white twisters which i learned from him ....Toss out , let sink to bottom , reel in slowly , drop a bit ,twitch-a-bit , repeat . Make it look like a wounded bait fish . You will have some luck when they are in the right mood  .  :crazy: ...:Gonefishing:   

Some of these swim baits have a treble hook on the belly , I remove them as they tend to catch bottom often.

When they're in the 'mood' ,  they would hit a tea spoon  I heard ..... B)

Went to gas up the van today & get a coffee & BIG cookie , then decided to try my luck for pike while I was on the road ..

It was very windy & I only had my rod & net in the van with one lure , still on the rod ...

Fished for about 15 min. and hooked a decent pike which was one ounce short of 5 lbs.  & 28" ....also had one 'bump' but came up short ....

Another kabobber on the way soon ....  need to get some more veggies .....

poet pike 28 in..JPG

15 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Went to gas up the van today & get a coffee & BIG cookie , then decided to try my luck for pike while I was on the road ..

It was very windy & I only had my rod & net in the van with one lure , still on the rod ...

Fished for about 15 min. and hooked a decent pike which was one ounce short of 5 lbs.  & 28" ....also had one 'bump' but came up short ....

poet pike 28 in..JPG

Congrats ! You're on a roll?

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

poet pike 28 in..JPG

Another good one! Congrats. 

Been eating more bananas lately , and wearing camouflage , even my underwear ! 

Lost a few pints of blood on this one....didn't have my pliers handy  ! 

Caught on a larger 5" power bait plastic minnow with a red tail . 

It also had 2 small 5" smelts in its gut.

It might be worth a try to use my frozen smelts under a float .....

• 1 month later...

After enduring a skunk on the panfishing today I tried for pike using the soft swim bait again . On the 3rd cast a pike took it right after the drop on bottom . It was a nice healthy 6.28 lbs. and 30" . Again , I got my fingers too close and it got me , again !  I'll have to take my 12" pliers and wear work gloves next time !  The wind was very strong so I left shortly after. 

Pike ,  6.28 lbs..JPG

Piked finger.JPG

Nice going Bill..will have to get out with you soon for sure..I'm just over my management training at work now so my schedule is back to the normal night gig

Just now, Jwl1 said:

Nice going Bill..will have to get out with you soon for sure..I'm just over my management training at work now so my schedule is back to the normal night gig

Rennie was super windy with large whitecaps and muddy water today ....not good for fishing for anything . I will be "out of commission for a couple days ...going to see the snake man Wed ....can't wait !   :unsure:

Good luck with the new job assignment Jack !  

10 days left before giving the pike rods a 5 -6 week rest ..

• 2 weeks later...

Last crappy day to fish for pike until 1st & 2nd week of May because they will be spawning . This pike was loaded with something a little different . ...a little bonus for dessert ?

A very short vid ....and sur-"prize" ....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2fvYhpojlN0

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Last crappy day to fish for pike until 1st & 2nd week of May because they will be spawning . This pike was loaded with something a little different . ...a little bonus for dessert ?

A very short vid ....and sur-"prize" ....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2fvYhpojlN0

Did you make it out today?

Can’t believe that gill was still alive. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Did you make it out today?

Can’t believe that gill was still alive. 

It wasn't a nice day for this dude . It was another hospital day for my sis ,and again tomorrow and Monday . It looks like some more wet & wild time ahead this week , hoping to do a carp run soon & take a float/minnow rod along for some 'dinner' fish.  

That gill should thank that guy for saving its life . The pike had a full gut and still swallowed the gill ! 

Or was the guy using the live gill for bait ??   ^_^

• 1 month later...

On Sunday, in about 4 hours in the morning I got a 28" and a 23" pike in Port D. One on J11 Rapala and the smaller one a #4 Vibrax. Good thing for the wire leader and barbless hooks. Both took lures in fairly deep, but able to save them without being bleeders. Going to have to start using spinnerbaits instead or go to larger lures.

Congrats on the two pike PDG ....I prefer using the J13 with barbless hooks for pike . I was fishing with Bigugli at the 12 Mile and hooked a bass about 1.5 lbs and a pike grabbed it and did a nice rake job on the bass . The pike let go of the bass but came back and hit it again, then swam off  The moral of the story ....no lure is too big for pike !  

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Congrats on the two pike PDG ....I prefer using the J13 with barbless hooks for pike . I was fishing with Bigugli at the 12 Mile and hooked a bass about 1.5 lbs and a pike grabbed it and did a nice rake job on the bass . The pike let go of the bass but came back and hit it again, then swam off  The moral of the story ....no lure is too big for pike !  

I'm always thinking smaller lures for more fish in the spring. Usually I get the "hammer handles". Still no signs of sunfish and such. water still too cold maybe.