Opening morning gobler!

Davidp16

Hey guys! Got it done this morning!!! Got my first ever bird at 7am right on the dot! Am working afternoons this week and Got done at 11pm last night went home and woke up at 445am to get out there. Was a beautiful chilly morning had 3 does come in around 630am, heard a few Tom's gobble. I looked over and saw a Tom walking in slowly to my decoys, didn't call at all today just set up my decoys.. he was so focused on the hen decoy and that's when I got him one shot and fell down, I'm so thankful to harvest my first ever bird. 

20230425_071356.jpg

20230425_083636.jpg

20230425_092936.jpg

20230425_092938.jpg

Congratulations on your first bird!

Now your hooked!!

Wish I had the same luck…I blew a shot at a gobbler that was coming right at my hen and jake decoys…I had a heavy hunting coat over my vest and sweater because they were calling for cold temps, and had trouble lining up the shot with all that padding.

I think I ended up shooting over his head. 😖

18 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Congrats Davidp16. Was that your first time hunting turkey?

Thanks Tyler! This was my second year going after them! I had to throw in the towel early last year due to health reasons and had to stop hunting last year. 

Way to go David , real nice bird and I hope you enjoy your turkey dinner soon . When I used to mount birds I cut the feet open and pulled the tendons out with pliers and forced borax inside the legs and toes. . As mentioned you can stand the legs upright  spread the toes , hold them apart with pins on a piece of wood . Salt will do but I prefer the borax for birds and fish .  How are you going to cook this delicious looking bird ?  

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Way to go David , real nice bird and I hope you enjoy your turkey dinner soon . When I used to mount birds I cut the feet open and pulled the tendons out with pliers and forced borax inside the legs and toes. . As mentioned you can stand the legs upright  spread the toes , hold them apart with pins on a piece of wood . Salt will do but I prefer the borax for birds and fish .  How are you going to cook this delicious looking bird ?  

Gonna cook it up this Friday! Just going to get my mom to stuff it with dressing and just do it up like a Christmas turkey in the oven, I'm very excited to try wild turkey! 

You may want to try putting 5 or 6 strips of bacon over the breast while in the oven . Wild birds dont have much fat in the skin and the bacon adds flavour to the bird.

I'll bring the apple pie .....  ❤️

I’ve never tried cooking a whole bird before, but for breasts i found a strange but great receipe online.

marinate for 12 hours in mountain dew. Dry them off and coat with yellow mustard, then apply a dry rub - i used texmex seasoning.

Then on the bbq for about 30 mins or internal temp above 165.

Plate it with rice and enjoy with a nice beer.

10 hours ago, Davidp16 said:

Hey guys! Got it done this morning!!! Got my first ever bird at 7am right on the dot! Am working afternoons this week and Got done at 11pm last night went home and woke up at 445am to get out there. Was a beautiful chilly morning had 3 does come in around 630am, heard a few Tom's gobble. I looked over and saw a Tom walking in slowly to my decoys, didn't call at all today just set up my decoys.. he was so focused on the hen decoy and that's when I got him one shot and fell down, I'm so thankful to harvest my first ever bird. 

20230425_071356.jpg

20230425_083636.jpg

20230425_092936.jpg

20230425_092938.jpg

Congrats! 

I completely submerge the bird in a large pot or clear plastic bag and add about a cup salt and whatever citris I have, usually some lemon juice, lime juice, slice up and orange. I throw in parsley, sage, thyme, peppercorns and let it sit in the fridge for a 1-2 days. I'll often do it when it is still partially frozen so it is defrosting while it brines so usually 2 days.

Rinse the bird thoroughly when you are ready to cook and then do your normal turkey spices, butter etc and cook it. My brother got me doing it and it makes it much juicier.