Top trail cam first time buyer help

Tinyboatcam

Hey everyone, it’s been a wonderful hunting season cutting my teeth goose and duck hunting. I wanted to pick your brains on cellular trail cams. What’s your experience been like? How do you keep them from being stolen(private land only) spypoint seems like the go to idea. Let me know. thanks for your time

• Tinyboatcam changed the title to Top trail cam first time buyer help

I have a Tactacam Reveal and it's been amazing. Super easy to set up. Only maybe 10$ bucks a month, and as soon as I fill my tags I suspend the account till next year. My third season with this camera . Unfortunately if someone wants your camera bad enough you will not stop them

I don't have any for this exact reason. A buddy had one stolen. Only recovered it because of 2 things. 1: The thief was wearing a Kermit the frog hat. 2: He was caught on the second camera pointed at the first camera. Had he spotted the second camera it would have been an expensive endeavour. 

I don't have money so I'm not willing to hang $300 per unit in a tree for trespassers to take and even if you get a clear picture of them and have the cellular service, good luck getting them to give it back. 

Also never buy a used unit unless you know the seller. It's likely stolen or doesn't work well..

I'd really love to have a few but unfortunately poachers do trespass. Buddy caught one on cam last night a few fields over from where I hunt. Guy looked to be around 65 years old..

Spypoint Flex has been my best camera from them so far.  Regarding theft.  Try and keep them away from the main clear areas.  But as mentioned, if they want it.  It's gone.  But if it has GPS then you will know where it is once it fires up again.  On the other hand I'm sure there r ways are ways around that.

I have 8 bear baits at my hunt camp so I need one for each. I and my brothers have a  mixture...4 Browning Dark Ops, a couple cheap Chinese cameras, a couple old Covert cameras. I almost bought the Reveal Tactacam as all my  friends that use cell cameras and get pictures sent to their phone, use them. They have had Spypoint and others and they say this is the best so far. I will end up with one or more but I'm not sure how well they will work north of Kirkland Lake. I might get one for Christmas and try it out around here. Hard to justify when I only use a couple of the 8 I have at my disposal lol.

The Brownings are good because they aren't the greatest at any one thing but they do everything well. Decent battery life, trigger speed etc. The steel boxes to house the cameras also help when nosy bears decide to try to knock them around or bite them. Had it happen. Some guys weld nails on the outside of their bix to deter them.

2 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

The Brownings are good because they aren't the greatest at any one thing but they do everything well. Decent battery life, trigger speed etc. The steel boxes to house the cameras also help when nosy bears decide to try to knock them around or bite them. Had it happen. Some guys weld nails on the outside of their bix to deter them.

Hey right on man thanks for all the info, I’m gona be hunting private land in copetown for deer and turkey.   I appreciate all the info. I think I’m gona go with spypoint on a boxing day sale. They have a good cam, cheap 12v external battery package and 2 year warranty will give me two seasons if it poops out after that I’ll have got my moneys worth .  I have an infinite amount of white tail questions whenever it gets closer maybe ill open up a thread and pick your guys’ brains 

I buy a 2 pack of the cheapest brand name cameras on sale with SD cards and hope for the best every year...I.have several muddys,Moultrie,stealth and others mostly 12 or 14 mp ...they do the trick...u have to keep the contacts clean in battery compartment though a little rust corrosion or even spider webs anything...they stop working properly...I use two in every area I scout and find the most dominant trails being used and put them 40 yards apart on opposite sides of the trail....and ya at some point it will all work out the way it should and pattern a certain deer coming past your spot ...but I'm betting it doesn't happen too often...this is canada..we get 1 buck tag by law....u either wait for the one you want or ya shoot your meat deer and be done...get your extra doe tag whatever...but in the u.s...these guys get multiple tags and have giant farms with plenty of huge deer they take inventory of and start their hit list...cameras more valuable then probably...out of the few nicer deer I've shot over the years I didn't have pics of them they just showed up on the property.i like to prolong my season now hunting bigger deer till I get one ..if not by Christmas il shoot anything....to each their own.sorry for the rant! Good luck fellas!

I saw trail cams for sale at Costco in Niagara Falls this week. I believe they were 179. Shows 199 online. 

Personally I'd prefer both cellular and IR. I think the lights just help them get stolen so I'd prefer no LEDs 

This is the first year I really gave them any consideration. I've never had a problem finding the deer before. I have permission on a large property with hardwood, bedding scrub and bean field. Used to be twice the size but the owner severed before selling to this farmer. I'd actually just like to set up on some scrapes to see if it's the little guy I've been passing on or if there is a nocturnal buck visiting. I'd love to do some of the videos for social media where they leave 2 kinds of food in the woods to see what gets eaten first. 

• 1 month later...

I see Costco still has a few skypoint cellular cams left in stick this weekend but they're still 180 each. I want to start clearing brush and thought it would be nice to monitor to see if it deters or promotes activity but that's a lot to throw away if the flash let's a trespasser know where it is

• 3 weeks later...

Well bought my first set of trail cams from Erie Tracker. A set of Muddy cams 2 for 100. Played around at.home for awhile but it seems like the trigger speed is 10-15 seconds. It's hard to get caught if you try. Once I figured out the angles and that video was the only way to get a decent picture I put them out on some animal highways. After 3 days I returned and saw all the tracks and got excited. Turns out I'm the only one who got filmed. Everything else moves too quick.

If I ever get a decent capture I'll share my first pics here 

You're going to pay close to $200 for a good camera. I've had dozens and you get what you pay for. There are always cheap ones for sale on kijiji because they just don't work well. I just got the Tactacam Reveal Pro cell cam and am playing with it. It was on sale after Christmas so I got it for my birthday (Jan 1) . Got the $5 monthly  50 picture plan to test it.

4 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

You're going to pay close to $200 for a good camera. I've had dozens and you get what you pay for. There are always cheap ones for sale on kijiji because they just don't work well. I just got the Tactacam Reveal Pro cell cam and am playing with it. It was on sale after Christmas so I got it for my birthday (Jan 1) . Got the $5 monthly  50 picture plan to test it.

Keep us posted on how it is. Im  looking for a few in the next couple months. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have a couple of Spy Point Flex cameras and they work very well.  Get 50 pics a month free with each camera but you need to set them up on two different accounts to get this service.  If you set them up on the same account it is 50 pics between both of the cameras

2 hours ago, 410001661 said:

I have a couple of Spy Point Flex cameras and they work very well.  Get 50 pics a month free with each camera but you need to set them up on two different accounts to get this service.  If you set them up on the same account it is 50 pics between both of the cameras

Good to know. I’m looking at getting a few cams. 

19 hours ago, 410001661 said:

Keep an eye out at COSTCO.  I bought two and I only paid $139.99 each - they had this wicked sale and just saw them the one time

I definitely seen them there. I’ll keep an eye out.